Arturia PolyBrute 12

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:03 pm I'm wondering if Arturia might have changed the PB keybed at some point without announcing it or something. I'm a formerly trained keyboardist that has been playing piano/synths for my entire life, and my keybed feel does not jive with the complaints I constantly read about. Actually, it feels pretty much identical to my MatrixBrute, and I don't see the same widespread complaints about its keybed.
Hmm.. I don't think so. The one I just recently tried again was a brand new PB that was less than 3 months in the shop.

I mean it's of course all subjective but in my opinion just about everything that can be wrong with a keybed is wrong on the PB. The key shapes are just pure stupid. Probably once they wear out after 10+ years they may start to resemble comfortable keys. And then the action itself is the exact opposite of what I consider a good keyboard action. Heck even the plastic and the surface feels cheap as chips in my opinion (think M-Audio super cheap plastic MIDI keyboards decades ago).

Then again, I've always been partial to the more "clicky" on/off feeling synth actions. Probably because I spent so much time with Yamaha synths in the early 90's (DX7, SY77 & 99 etc). So maybe that's the reason?

And if it's got to be mushy, then at least make it Roland style mushy (XP-30/50/80 etc).

As a stark contrast in the current market at similar price points (actually a bit more) would be the Super Gemini and 3rd Wave. Both have infinitely better keybeds in my opinion.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hmmm, I hadn't actually done the Euro->NZD conversion earlier. It converts to just short of $7k. Which will be well over $7k after the usual NZ price gouging here. I think we'll be lucky to see it (if at all) at under $7.5k
Now that's hard to rationalise. That would buy me a Korg Polylogue16, UBXa and still have $2000 left over. With another 200 bucks I'd likely get the Behringer Jupiter when it's out. Or I could swap the poly16 for a Poly8 and then throw in a Novation Peak. It's not completely in the space cadet zone - The Prophet 10 is at $7.2k here and that's on a -14% sale! I can't single out Arturia, who are smoking the same stuff others are, and it obvs has some serious cylinders under the hood. But...$7.5k :o :-o :shock:

I'm easily parted with my money, but I'm not that big a fool.

bmanic wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:41 pm Then again, I've always been partial to the more "clicky" on/off feeling synth actions. Probably because I spent so much time with Yamaha synths in the early 90's (DX7, SY77 & 99 etc). So maybe that's the reason?
That could be it. I don’t think of the PB’s keybed as being “mushy” per se, but more as nuanced and maybe subtle. I prefer AT that comes in gradually over abruptly and that’s how the PB responds for me. I owned far more Roland synths back in the 80s than Yamaha synths, so I’m definitely accustomed to a different feel, not to mention that my main instrument is bass and secondary is keys, which probably affects my technique and preference. But, my PB keybed feels nothing like the old M-Audio controllers - I hated their shit products with a passion. :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I like the look as well, but, I'm kind of over it for the moment.

what's difference to the old polybrute and has it overtaken something more from the matrix ?

sacer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:31 pm what's difference to the old polybrute and has it overtaken something more from the matrix ?
PB12 has double the voices (12 vs 6), MPE (very amazing, watch the vid!)/keybed with a few extra front panel controls for the various modes, new color, larger/heavier chassis, and higher price. That’s it.

Not sure if the PB6 will remain in the lineup, but I would assume so. :shrug:
Last edited by cryophonik on Thu May 16, 2024 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Someone who play one at Perfect Circuit said the keybed feels like a high end Fatar

So thats reflected in the price :)

CoolColJ wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:10 pm Someone who play one at Perfect Circuit said the keybed feels like a high end Fatar

Are you planning to swap out your PB6?

cryophonik wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:34 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:10 pm Someone who play one at Perfect Circuit said the keybed feels like a high end Fatar

I am... the new keybed is too unique and interesting for me.

PS- I like the keybed on my Polybrute.

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:45 pm

I am... the new keybed is too unique and interesting for me.

PS- I like the keybed on my Polybrute.
OK, that's fine with me, but you guys will have to be sure to not overhype it. I've convinced myself that I'll be content with my PB6, so don't going ruining that for me, capiche? :hihi:

I definitely am. The extra voices and MPE are the icing, but the polyphonic aftertouch keyboard means that I can make it my main controller, eliminating my L shaped studio. That means that I can move my work computer out of my bedroom.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

cryophonik wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:58 pm OK, that's fine with me, but you guys will have to be sure to not overhype it. I've convinced myself that I'll be content with my PB6, so don't going ruining that for me, capiche? :hihi:
Doesn't seem possible to overhype a gorgeous analog sound engine integrated with an Osmose level keyboard. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I'd still prefer an actual Osmose + desktop version of the PB12. Though I've still not been able to track down an Osmose in any local store here in Finland. It's amazing how difficult it is to get to play one! If any of you fellow Finns who live in the Helsinki region happen to have an Osmose and some time to let me play it, please PM me!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:22 pm I'd still prefer an actual Osmose + desktop version of the PB12. Though I've still not been able to track down an Osmose in any local store here in Finland. It's amazing how difficult it is to get to play one! If any of you fellow Finns who live in the Helsinki region happen to have an Osmose and some time to let me play it, please PM me!
Yeah, this is where I'm at for now. After commandeering my XYLs digital piano in my second workspace, I find that it's enough for me for a wide keyboard, at least in the sense that I don't want two. Were money and space unlimited, I might feel differently. What I do want is an Osmose parked in front of my modular/poly-rack. So as great as I think the PB12 is, I'm kind of over big analog keyboards regardless of the quality of the keybed.

TBH, I've also realized that a lot of what I thought was amazing about the UDO Super 6 is just real time stereo modulation. I get about 80% of what I wanted from that, in terms of depth and interest, from my pair of Pro-800s. So in that sense, I've lost some interest in 12 voice synths.

I sold my Polybrute Noir a few weeks back.

I have my old Ensoniq SQ80 sitting in it's spot right now ($300AUD Poly AT synth!), and also sold my Yamaha VL1, so I have space for one master keyboard synth with expressive controls all in one super combo
Polybrute 12 can replace both of them as far as expressiveness goes.
I mostly used the second mod wheel on the VL1 for breath control, so full touch is superior without using a whole hand

Just a matter of when I will buy. May wait till it's on special with free wooden legs deal, and hopefully a Decksaver for it by then

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”