Logic Pro 11 is announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

Not. Good. Enough. For. Me. It's moot. I'm back on 10.8.1.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:46 pm Not. Good. Enough. For. Me. It's moot.
You can alwas buy Spectral Layers (IMO it's not all that much better, though - just offering more options).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

andypryce wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:53 pm and hoping at least some of them to be improved with a new major version
The v11 changelog is shorter than some of the 10.x ones... I figure it is called 11 simply because it seemed like time to do so... not because it is a major new version.

In any case, there is no issue here... if Cubase serves your needs better, then good for you to switch.

Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:39 pm
Sascha Franck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:50 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:36 am The stem splitter has problems with 'other.'
What exactly is that "problem"? I didn't notice any - in fact, I think it's the only neat thing of this release.
The marquee tool deletes an entire region, not just what was intended.
Heard about that already. What do I need to do to reproduce?
Re the stem splitter. I fed it a stereo pair. It had vocals, stereo drums, bass, and 2 12 string guitars ar around 9-3 o'clock. The vocals, bass and drums came out ok, but the 12 string guitars came out as phasey mush. Which made the exercise fruitless as I wanted to do a remix, and the 12 string guitars were fingerpicked in harmony. So, I conclude 'not ready for prime time.'
Stem splitter success is highly dependent upon the source material, and I think it's meant more for Karaoke than pulling apart something and remixing. It's extremely difficult to thing to do and that it was successful at all surprised me. It's also teaching me about the difference between professional mixes and some of my own, not so professional.

As to Logic itself, it's a very old program (80's!) with no doubt, a very old undercarriage, aka code base. It's not my main DAW because I find the modal workflow rather clunky, but some of the stuff it offers such as the sounds, autosampler, stem splitter, etc. I find highly useful.

The new internal MIDI routing in the inspector rather than having to open the Environment (I seem to remember this from the 80's, maybe) seems like the devs are trying to update the workflow. More of that please.

It seems '11' was definitely a marketing ploy. My AUs didn't even need re-scanning.
Anyway, I'm tired of bitching about it. I rarely bump into Logic's main shortcomings, so I'm more or less neutral about this. Maybe in a couple of updates.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I’d like them to update the environment tho and give it audio routing.

Also smart controls as a selfcontained insert ffs.

Re: stem splitting, client was happy with how vox that i debleeded with stem splitter turned out. Also tried the same with RX10 and it was way worse. Didn’t bother with spectralayers because the workflow is killing me

Ploki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:15 pm I’d like them to update the environment tho and give it audio routing.
This please!
Do you, by any chance, remember Energy XT? Was a host/subhost that had pretty much all the environment's routing and mangling options for audio over 20 years ago already. Just plain excellent. Unfortunately never made it big, but even back then I wished sooo much Logic had these capabilities built in.

Ploki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:15 pm I’d like them to update the environment tho and give it audio routing.
yeah.. it's a bummer they haven't made this less of a clusterfvck over the years. it was one of the great things about logic. all the things you can do w/midi. seeing as it's now hidden unless you force it to appear w/the modifier key.. seems like it's not on the roadmap of things to improve. even if it was just an easier midi patching environment it'd be useful for that..

dayjob wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:11 pm seeing as it's now hidden unless you force it to appear w/the modifier key.. seems like it's not on the roadmap of things to improve.
I'd take pretty much any bet that there won't be any improvement to the environment ever again. It's like the unwanted stepchild that you still have to keep alive for some reasons (compatibility, longtime Logic nerds, maybe a handful essential MIDI dataflow functions) - but in general, you better hide that ugly MF.
Last edited by Sascha Franck on Sun May 19, 2024 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:15 pm Didn’t bother with spectralayers because the workflow is killing me
What's the issue with SpectraLayers workflow ? Drag and drop your file to SL, Unmix > Song > Ok, and that's it, you can hardly make it simpler ?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but when choosing a key signature for a new project, the popup menu entries are now ordered according to the circle of fifths rather than alphabetically.
I hate signatures too.

Sascha Franck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:48 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:46 pm Not. Good. Enough. For. Me. It's moot.
You can alwas buy Spectral Layers (IMO it's not all that much better, though - just offering more options).
I was wondering about that, since Spectral Layers is on sale.

Version 11.0.1 is out now with claims of stability improvements. I have updated, but not yet had the chance to try it out.
I hate signatures too.

Unfortunately they didn't fix the CPU issues with the Studio Bass. Too bad, because soundwise it's quite nice.

Logic 11.1 released today.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/109503
On a number of Macs

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”