61 notes master keyboard, two midi outputs with polyphonic aftertouch

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a 61-note master keyboard with two outputs and polyphonic aftertouch.

Can you tell me which model would work?

There is the Novation SL 61 MK3, but no polyphonic aftertouch.

There is also the studiologic SL 88 Studio, but 88 notes and not sure of the manufacturing quality, quality of the keyboard and hammer technology not sure that it could be suitable for synth keyboard use and not for piano.

There is the Korg Keystage 61 but only one midi output.

My use, Modwave and Wavestate mk2 in Desktop version.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I don’t know any with 2 MIDI outputs, but I’m generally really happy with my Kontrol S61 mk3.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

2 Midi out is not common on any master keyboard so The best way to do it is to get one that supports midi key split for different midi channels and add a midi thru box to the midi out port or daisy chain midi from one unit to the other if you don't want to spend money on a midi thru box.

Thank you for your answers.

I also have a Kontrol s61 mk3 and really excellent master keyboard.

So, for example, if I take the Korg Keystage 61 to control the Modwave and the Wavestate desktop, and for example I want to control the first with midi channel 1 and the second with midi channel 2, what should I use as a box?

Is the connection made directly to the master keyboard?

Where should I connect the Keystage 61 out on the box?

Thank you again for your answers.

I looked at the Kenton box on midi thru 5.

So well understood how it works.

Example with the Korg Keystage 61, if I connect the midi out of the Keystage 61 to the in of the kenton, do I get the midi out split into 5 in?

So I can plug into the Kenton 5 synths.

So, I will be able to connect the Modwave, Wavestate and even a Minilogue xd (all three modules).

To make them work.

I will just have to put midi channel 1 on the Keystage 61 and Modwave, midi channel 2 on the Keystage 61 and Wavestate, etc...

Did I understand how to do it?

Trancer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:05 pm I looked at the Kenton box on midi thru 5.

So well understood how it works.

Example with the Korg Keystage 61, if I connect the midi out of the Keystage 61 to the in of the kenton, do I get the midi out split into 5 in?

So I can plug into the Kenton 5 synths.

So, I will be able to connect the Modwave, Wavestate and even a Minilogue xd (all three modules).

To make them work.

I will just have to put midi channel 1 on the Keystage 61 and Modwave, midi channel 2 on the Keystage 61 and Wavestate, etc...

Did I understand how to do it?
Yes that is correct :)
Midi out from midi keyboard to midi in gives you 5 midi outputs from the Kenton box.

A cheaper option is to daisy chain the synths and enable the built in soft thru from the synths that you want to use together if they have that option.

Thank you for your reply.

Perfect then.

No midi thru on Modwave, Wavestate and Minilogue xd.

I was looking at the prices for the keyboard versions and modules.

The price difference is really slight.

I said to myself, if I take the keyboard versions, nothing stops me from using the Keystage 61 / Kenton box to control the three synths?

I say that because the question of the original keyboards is not great, not enough keys and no polyphonic aftertouch.

I suppose that like the Keystage 61 with polyphonic aftertouch, it can be used with both the original keyboard versions and/or the modules?

Couple days ago I ordered one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NJ ... UTF8&psc=1
You will want more than two outs anyway.

What do you mean by more than two outs?

Do you want to talk about thru?

Trancer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:41 pm Thank you for your reply.

Perfect then.

No midi thru on Modwave, Wavestate and Minilogue xd.

I was looking at the prices for the keyboard versions and modules.

The price difference is really slight.

I said to myself, if I take the keyboard versions, nothing stops me from using the Keystage 61 / Kenton box to control the three synths?

I say that because the question of the original keyboards is not great, not enough keys and no polyphonic aftertouch.

I suppose that like the Keystage 61 with polyphonic aftertouch, it can be used with both the original keyboard versions and/or the modules?
The soft thru or midi thru option is found in the menu on most synths that turn the midi out port on that synth to a Thru port.

Most Korg synths don't have this option so everything you do on one synth will affect the next one when they are daisy chained instead of using a midi thru box like the kenton.

There is a workaround you can do by disabling the MIDI Tx Prog Chg, MIDI Tx CC, MIDI Tx Pitch Bend so they don't transfer changes from one synth to the next when they are daisy chained.

So, the best is to connect the Keystage 61 to a Kenton box and then to the different Korg models if I understand correctly, respecting the different midi channels?

Trancer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:23 pm Thank you for your reply.

So, the best is to connect the Keystage 61 to a Kenton box and then to the different Korg models if I understand correctly, respecting the different midi channels?
Yes a thru box will always be better than daisy chaining when it comes to latency if you use more than 2 Synths in your setup.

Thank you very much for your response and help.

So it will be a Kenton box then.

I posted in another section, a problem which would be linked to the USB of the Korg Modwave, Wavestate and the PC (Windows 11).

Not recognized.

Have you had this kind of problem?

This problem is really annoying, because it is impossible to use the Modwave and Wavestate editor in this case.

Also impossible to use the sampler builder.

Is there a solution from Korg (which would be normal since they have the problem) or another solution compared to Windows 11?

Trancer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:45 pm
I posted in another section, a problem which would be linked to the USB of the Korg Modwave, Wavestate and the PC (Windows 11).

Not recognized.

Have you had this kind of problem?
Did you do the NDIS protocol stuff on another Windows so it worked?

I did on Windows 10 for Opsix and it was something like 5 steps that was needed.

But worked just fine.

I had some issues with Wavestate at some point, while having it, that Wavestate itself was set to the other protocol for Mac, (whatever name was).
- so fixed by setting Wavestate itself to NDIS in menues

Look through in device manager that no exclamation marks for devices, meaning more things to do before done.

Read instructions carefully....

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have not yet purchased the Modwave, Wavestate, as I had read that there were problems with the Korg USB and Windows 11, I told myself that before purchasing, I wanted to know if there was a solution with the Korg USB and Windows 11.

Glad to read that a solution is possible to make everything work.

Changing/adding this USB protocol in Windows 11 won't cause a problem with the other USB devices on my PC?

I just saw a video on the subject where there was an error message at one point (end of the video at 1' 49").

The video is in French however (translation in settings in YouTube).

https://youtu.be/QmlBBTfpZUo?si=OSlCa4DghhdpOOH-

This error message is not serious, it will not cause conflicts or other problems with my other USB ports and Windows 11?

Everything will still be functional as before by installing NDIS recognition?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”