Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah sorry I misunderstood, so you are saying I guess that those settings have no impact on 5.2?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:45 pm Ah sorry I misunderstood, so you are saying I guess that those settings have no impact on 5.2?
Looks like it. Maybe something to do with the switch to GPU rendering.

DazzW wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:54 pm Anyone else notice the 5.2 beta is way brighter than than 5.1? This is both with the midtones and black level at zero:

Bitwig Colour.png
Confirmed is too bright, Beta 1 is not. I sent them an email to the beta email so they can fix it since it is very annoying to have it so bright.

inforlk wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:17 am
DazzW wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:54 pm Anyone else notice the 5.2 beta is way brighter than than 5.1? This is both with the midtones and black level at zero:

Bitwig Colour.png
Confirmed is too bright, Beta 1 is not. I sent them an email to the beta email so they can fix it since it is very annoying to have it so bright.
Yup, I sent them one too. I need my darkest of dark modes.

Bjørnson wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:46 pm The thing with pure sine waves in substractive synth design is, that they are the least interesting sound source and every design I know tweaks them to more pleasant results. So I don‘t get the whole discussion from a sound design perspective… What do you use them for that makes them in purer form so important?
Sine wave used here as an example and for testing purpose. If polymer clip waveform it is the easiest to see clipping on the most basic waveform - sine wave.
The meaning - polymer will clip everything else adding shit ton of harmonics to already harmonically rich waveforms. And this is about always what user wants.
It’s ok for generative live music. Not so much when your goal it to make competitively loud mixdown when user must be in control.
Audios!

Got the answer from Bitwig support, the compressor+ timing compensation issue has been recognised and will be fixed in the next beta.

When do you believe 5.2 will be released as final version?
Bitwig

krixa wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:59 pm When do you believe 5.2 will be released as final version?
Its only beta 2, I suspect there will be quite a few more Betas...maybe July? I am waiting for the final release (and maybe a point update after) before using it, I don't like running 2 versions side by side.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I really wish they would improve the piano roll / midi (comping, better zoom control, step recording, scales and chords, etc..) Like I know they're trying to distinguish it from other DAWs so they focus on those features but really, just copy FL studio or Ableton's piano roll

also I notice that when entering in notes, the piano keys along the side of the piano roll do not stay lit up. Is this the normal behavior? I hate it
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." ~ Salvador Dali

NER wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:59 pm I really wish they would improve the piano roll / midi (comping, better zoom control, step recording, scales and chords, etc..) Like I know they're trying to distinguish it from other DAWs so they focus on those features but really, just copy FL studio or Ableton's piano roll

also I notice that when entering in notes, the piano keys along the side of the piano roll do not stay lit up. Is this the normal behavior? I hate it
Careful. You are not allowed to say here anything other than “what a great update”.

vroteg wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:35 am
NER wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:59 pm I really wish they would improve the piano roll / midi (comping, better zoom control, step recording, scales and chords, etc..) Like I know they're trying to distinguish it from other DAWs so they focus on those features but really, just copy FL studio or Ableton's piano roll

Careful. You are not allowed to say here anything other than “what a great update”.
Touché! :lol: :D :tu:

Can I like the update, but still want a better piano roll? :D
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:02 am Can I like the update, but still want a better piano roll? :D
No! If you want better piano roll it means you either don’t know how to use it or you should not be using it. Only people on this forum know how to use piano roll and everything else properly.

PS: bitwig don’t have any flaws and it is the best daw in the world. Only one thing is missing to make it complete. Tremolo+ plugin.

Trancit wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:29 pm
BobDog wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:13 am I vote yes, as I don't even have the beta and can turn soft clipping off in polymer I guess it is not new functionality!
You said it the second time... please tell me how you turn soft clipping off in Polymer!!
To get rid of clipping without converting to the grid, raise the filter resonance clipping point (right click into an empty area in the filter) and maybe also lower the Drive (= gain before filter) if the signal is still too hot.

This whole discussion was not a beta topic, but I learned about the Bitwig filter behaviors from it 🙏🏻
And I found this nice video on different filter clipping characteristics and how cleaner results sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syeV4HdwQl0
Last edited by Bjørnson on Mon May 27, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have been checking out 5.2 beta 2 today and I'm sad to see that some important features are still missing. This makes BWS miss out on sales because people who work with orchestra sampler libraries have to turn to Cubase, Logic, or Studio One. I'm especially thinking about:

1) Limitation to 512 ports. Makes it very challenging to use Divisimate.com with Bitwig.
2) The Program Change selector seems to be broken. It doesn't send out the messages you pick. (needed for switching articulation in orchestral sampler patches.
3) There is no "Note Numbers Selector" (another way to switch articulation, used by many sampler libraries). It shouldn't be so hard to make a selector that sends out a specified group of notes on each of the 128 values.

I have to return to Cubase 13 now, but I have renewed my BWS license and will return for the next beta... Keep up the good work! :-)
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

Return to “Bitwig”