WF Pro Peak Meter

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems like the Peak Meter on WF's Master is not responding correctly. It's showing over +5 digital peak after 2 ISP Limiters (Stealth Limiter and Loud Max with ISP on set to -0.1). TRacks Meter shows the proper peak output at -.01. I'm going to keep working with it but the peak meter seems a bit wonky in relation to what other meters are showing. Sometimes I can get it to display correctly but most of the time it's showing overs. It's as if the meter is placed before the limiters which according to the signal flow it is not.

WF Meter.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Are your limiters on the actual Master track, or in a track inside Waveform that you've created as a 'Master', which everything is bussed to? I use the latter workflow and the 'master' track I've created shows peaks accurately, but the true Master shows overs.

I'm using the track called "Master" in the Mixer. Either way the peak meter should show the correct reading.

So this would appear to be a bug. If you have an Inter Sample Peak limiter set to -.01 the meter after that should theoretically not show overs unless the limiter is shyte and neither the Stealth Limiter or Loud Max have a reputation of being so. When you have two ISP limiters as I did in the test it really shouldn't show overs especially when other third party meters do not.

Like I said sometimes it will show the correct reading but most of the times it does not. It kind of feels like the meter is calibrated off by 1 db or so.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If you export this scenario and import the file back into Waveform, do you actually have the overs in the rendered file? I'm curious now, as I've noticed something going on but haven't really had time to dig into it. Maybe this weekend.

I'll give it a shot sometime today or tomorrow. I'll render to a wav file then import into other DAWs to see if the overs are there as well.

If not then there is an issue with Waveform's meter. If they are still there despite not showing on third party meters in the WF project then there is some other issue at play

If you click on the graphical level meter placed at the end of the WF Master Track then you will see in the huge properties panel at the bottom, centric, below your tracks, that it is coming combined with "Master Volume Control" options and actually also called like this. In your screenshot I can see the very bottom of that properties panel behind your plugins window. Check that a little bit higher up in that panel the horizontal "Volume" slider is not set too high. To the rioght of it is shows it set value in numeric format. For convenience there is right to the slider and value also a button "Reset volume to 0 dB".
May you have overseen this? Can happen!
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

talby wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:29 pm If you click on the graphical level meter placed at the end of the WF Master Track then you will see in the huge properties panel at the bottom, centric, below your tracks, that it is coming combined with "Master Volume Control" options and actually also called like this. In your screenshot I can see the very bottom of that properties panel behind your plugins window. Check that a little bit higher up in that panel the horizontal "Volume" slider is not set too high. To the rioght of it is shows it set value in numeric format. For convenience there is right to the slider and value also a button "Reset volume to 0 dB".
May you have overseen this? Can happen!
Thanks and no disrespect but I only covered the top of the properties panel for the screenshot. Of course I checked the volume setting on that panel during the testing process. It is not the culprit.

Anyway I rendered out a file and imported it to Bitwig and there were no overs despite some being shown on WF's master meter.

I went back to duplicate the test on a fresh project and the Master Meter started behaving as expected, even going back to the first test project. Like I said sometimes it works like it should and sometimes not. Feels like a bug here and since someone else has confirmed maybe I'll submit a support ticket to see what they say.

I think for the time being I'll just ignore WF's master meter and use third party meters at the end of the master chain. They seem to be more accurate and predictable at this point.

Just for interest, here is a screenshot of a file going through Standard Clip, set to hard clip at 0db. Below is that same track rendered at 48k, 32 bit. The rendered track is showing overs on the Waveform meter.
BUT.....I have inverted the polarity on the volume plugin of the rendered track and it is a perfect null. No sound.
So I tried a render with bx True Peak limiter and there were no overs showing in the result. So my guess is sometimes the meter is picking up intersample peaks?

Either way, it's more of a curiosity for me, I'm not yet sure there's anything detrimental or buggy going on.

Edit: I reread your first post and I think you covered intersample peaks in your particular example so.....shrug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tracktion”