Harmony Bloom by Mario Nieto (MIDI plugin)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Harmony Bloom

:party: :tu:

Hey Mario,

Have you experimentet with odd loop lengths like 3, 5, 7..? If so, is there a reason that it's not an option? I think this would be a lot of fun!

The new quantization update is really great. It does lose it's functionality when playing with "s.offset"(edited)though so i sometimes use an external midi quantizer for evolving but still synced patterns. Maybe something like that could also be built in?

It's a real beautiful tool with great value and seeing your support and interaction with the users makes it even better. Thank you!

All the best!
Last edited by psy dive on Thu May 23, 2024 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

psy dive wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:36 am The new quantization update is really great. It does lose it's functionality when playing with G.offset though
Isn't it just "shifted right" by g.offset? Or what do you mean with "lose it's functionality"?

Correct. What i meant was s.offset(speed).

"Have you experimentet with odd loop lengths like 3, 5, 7..? If so, is there a reason that it's not an option? I think this would be a lot of fun!"

Yes, the loop lengths 3, 5, 7... it was mentioned in this forum. I'll copy the explanation:

"Thats a good question, Although in theory other divisions are possible, there are several reasons for the current choices. First, using powers of 2 helps everything sound more cohesive and synchronized, fitting better within the musical project's context. Moreover, providing more options could potentially complicate the user experience. However, if somebody wnats to experiment with rhythms outside the predefined options in the loop length, it's possible by turning off the sync mode and manually adjusting the tempo."

We also have to keep in mind that new functions or more options like the ones you mentioned add complexity to the project, and if they are added, it has to be done very carefully to avoid breaking the internal logic. That's why, at least for now, I prefer not to change those controls.

"The new quantization update is really great. It does lose it's functionality when playing with "s.offset"(edited)though so i sometimes use an external midi quantizer for evolving but still synced patterns. Maybe something like that could also be built in? "

The quantization mode is designed to quantize the offsets, but as you rightly mentioned, modifying the speed offset "loses" this effect. That's true. One of the essences of Harmony Bloom is to create patterns that vary "organically" during playback. That's why I added this type of quantization and not a completely strict one. This way, if the user wants these temporal variations during the development, they can have them. Otherwise, they can set the speed offset to 0.000 to maintain the pattern. I understand what you're saying, and I might think of something in the future that aligns more with what you're suggesting. well see.

Thanks for your message and suggestions!

Btw, I'm already working on the new version 1.2.9 and also a new preset pack. If you want to take a look and listen to how it's evolving, I'll be doing a live stream today.

https://youtube.com/live/UKG6zvelH1U?feature=share

MarioNietoWorld wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:18 pm Btw, I'm already working on the new version 1.2.9 and also a new preset pack. If you want to take a look and listen to how it's evolving, I'll be doing a live stream today.

i tuned in for a while. fantastic! watching you use HB is an idea factory. great job and some lovely music. i really enjoyed it. :clap: :hail:

awesome thanks!

JamminFool wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:24 pm
MarioNietoWorld wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:18 pm Btw, I'm already working on the new version 1.2.9 and also a new preset pack. If you want to take a look and listen to how it's evolving, I'll be doing a live stream today.

i tuned in for a while. fantastic! watching you use HB is an idea factory. great job and some lovely music. i really enjoyed it. :clap: :hail:
Thanks! :)

By the way, today I am back with a new live broadcast:
https://youtube.com/live/N13IH2qzxsA?feature=share

I have also opened a discord server:
https://discord.gg/Zrgse8be

S1gns Of L1fe premiere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNWHr3ghcI

--
Marco

vulpes777 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:09 pm S1gns Of L1fe premiere:
Thank you for posting this! Harmony Bloom is fantastic. :love:
S1gns Of L1fe
Ambient Music Producer | Content Creator

Very good video !

S1gnsOfL1fe wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:00 pm
vulpes777 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:09 pm S1gns Of L1fe premiere:
Thank you for posting this! Harmony Bloom is fantastic. :love:
You're welcome :tu: Judging by the Youtube demos, as well as reading back this thread, everyone seems to come up with different (yet always interesting) ideas on how to use HB in their workflow. I was really looking forward to hear your take on it.

At the cost of repeating myself: great job Mario! :clap:

--
Marco

Grabbed this today and so far so good. Ive been looking to play with something like this (graphical euclidian pattern generation, etc) for a while but other products Ive seen never seemed deep or useful enough to me. This one seems interesting and like something I can use for fun and for jams.

One thing Im seeing (in cubase 12 and 13 only) is some UI lag. When Im using HB in Cubase 12.0.70 or 13.0.40, I get stuttering frame rates in the entire UI when HB is playing. I dont see any stuttering in any version of Bitwig nor does it stutter on the desktop. It doesnt matter if I put cubase in 30 or 60 fps mode or if I change desktop vsync settings on/off.

Anyone else see UI stutter in cubase? This isnt a big deal for me because it doesnt affect sound and I usually use bitwig, but I wanted to mention it.

Milkman wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:04 am Grabbed this today and so far so good. Ive been looking to play with something like this (graphical euclidian pattern generation, etc) for a while but other products Ive seen never seemed deep or useful enough to me. This one seems interesting and like something I can use for fun and for jams.

One thing Im seeing (in cubase 12 and 13 only) is some UI lag. When Im using HB in Cubase 12.0.70 or 13.0.40, I get stuttering frame rates in the entire UI when HB is playing. I dont see any stuttering in any version of Bitwig nor does it stutter on the desktop. It doesnt matter if I put cubase in 30 or 60 fps mode or if I change desktop vsync settings on/off.

Anyone else see UI stutter in cubase? This isnt a big deal for me because it doesnt affect sound and I usually use bitwig, but I wanted to mention it.
In some cases, the UI can become a bit more demanding. It's strange that this happens to you in Cubase and not in Bitwig or Standalone. Possibly Cubase requires more CPU than Bitwig...

As you mentioned, the UI is just a representation of what's happening "behind the scenes," so it doesn't affect the generation or management of notes. However, ideally, to have the best experience, the UI should be smooth. One solution you could try in Cubase is to make the Harmony Bloom window smaller; you can do this from the bottom right corner. It's very likely that this will improve the interface's smoothness.

By the way, what a great video from @S1gns of L1fe!

Cheers.

Return to “Instruments”