GForce impOSCar 3 is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liquidsound wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:49 pm The only one that gives me some noticeable CPU usage is the "Aqua Rhythm" alpha preset.
Yes, that one is noticeably heavier here too...

liquidsound wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 pm The v2 is super-efficient even on that old SP6.
That implies that v3 is less efficient on a Surface Pro 6 than v2. Did you compare the same presets while having effects off?

mi-os wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:38 pm
liquidsound wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 pm The v2 is super-efficient even on that old SP6.
That implies that v3 is less efficient on a Surface Pro 6 than v2. Did you compare the same presets while having effects off?
I'm running the demo. I can't load the same presets in both versions.
The CPU on that preset gets tamed down not by shutting off the effects but lowering either the Polyphony or the Unison. There are probably other factors in the signal flow that I haven't checked.
MuLab of course :D

Apparently, "Expired Demo" is enough to make me wait for a better price in the future. That popup has helped kill my GAS on several plugins. Maybe I should thank them for that...
And in the 45 seconds of considering the upgrade price, I decided that amount could be better spent on a sound set or two for a synth I'm more likely to regularly use.
So I'll ask here, what u-He synth do you think sounds the closest?
I'm leaning towards either Repro or Hive ATM...

BBFG# wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:09 am Apparently, "Expired Demo" is enough to make me wait for a better price in the future. That popup has helped kill my GAS on several plugins. Maybe I should thank them for that...
And in the 45 seconds of considering the upgrade price, I decided that amount could be better spent on a sound set or two for a synth I'm more likely to regularly use.
Hive because it can load user wavetables, and the filter in dirty mode sounds gnarly enough. Both are excellent, but Hive is better for emulating hybrid sounds.

GForce software just got one more fan of Imposcar 3 :)
This is what they respond to me after less than 24h:
''Thanks for your question. Yes, proper wavetable import is on the roadmap for impOSCar3. Hopefully it won't be a drag to implement.''
When a developer respond to a user questions and make dope synths,how not to support it :)

Korg Supporter wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:45 am
BBFG# wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:09 am Apparently, "Expired Demo" is enough to make me wait for a better price in the future. That popup has helped kill my GAS on several plugins. Maybe I should thank them for that...
Hive because it can load user wavetables, and the filter in dirty mode sounds gnarly enough. Both are excellent, but Hive is better for emulating hybrid sounds.
They sound quite different to me. I'm happy to have both.
If I had to pick just one: Hive 2, as it's just more flexible (and easier to use).

DrGonzo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:25 am I'm happy you can run both v2 and v3 on the same system. I have a bunch of presets from v1 I need to convert and I was pleased to see v3 didn't overwrite the old v2.

I started converting too. I’ve also done it for your nexus 2 presets and now if finished the first 36 bass presets. You have to save every preset in imposcar2, because it’s v1 - it would go easier if they would suggest the same name, but you have to enter them manually

zvenx wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:54 pm Just checked that one on Mac, I would indeed say it is 'noticeable' CPU Usage, but nothing 'exuberant' on my system anyway.
rsp
That's my experience on my Windows box. About in line with Opal, which is pretty heavy, but employs a similar level of analog modeling and two filters.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I love the sound of impOSCar, but it wreaks havoc with my playing technique, as well as being a bit limited for modulation.
In order to get some semblance of release velocity, you've got to assign velocity to impOSCar2 Legacy release.
So essentially it's using it somewhat backwards - a slow velocity attack will get you a longer release (and vice-versa).
Also, you can only assign velocity to one destination, and I always use it for that.

That's why the lack of X-Mods in V3 was such a disappointment for me.
Adjusting an XADSR on the GForce stuff that has it, and assigning it to release will give me a proper response, as well as being able to use them for many other things.
Hopefully, they can address this in the future.

I for one I'm stoked. Sounds yummy, big and unique. Big improvement on the GUI. I still love that yellow and black weirdness that feels so analog. Strange synth. Confusing, and far from perfect. Screw perfect. Love impOSCar!

Thanks GForce
paz por esos mundos

Finally had a play with the demo. I'll probably buy it, 30 squids is not a lot after all. Haven't really toyed much with the LFOs but I think that and the excellent set of new patches will swing it. As I expected, most of the patches I disliked were the wavetable ones and that part of it doesn't wow me in the slightest, but wavetables have their occasional use. And obvs the filter is strong enough to make even shitty wavetables sound ok.

First impressions were shite though. On laptop - huge GUI took the whole screen and I couldn't smallerise it because I couldn't get the edges. I assume it's better on full screen. The only way I could do it was to switch to basic GUI, smallerise that and then switch back to full graphic GUI. Basic error IMO. I do like the new GUI though (once I could make it smaller).

So - meh to a lot of the new stuff, but prolly worth the entry fee.
Last edited by kritikon on Fri May 24, 2024 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felis wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:09 pm Also, you can only assign velocity to one destination, and I always use it for that.
I've been playing around programming Imposcar 3 for the last few days, and just to let you know you can assign velocity to multiple destinations (same as the modwheel), just select whichever destination from the drop down and dial in the amount (if you click the small arrow for the dropdown you can see all the percentages assigned thanks). Hope that improves things a little at least!
Last edited by KennyG5000 on Fri May 24, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KennyG5000 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:46 am I've been playing around programming Imposcar 3 for the last few days, and just to let you know you can assign velocity to multiple destinations (same as the modwheel), just select whichever destination from the drop down and dial in the amount (if you click the small arrow for the dropdown you can see all the percentages assisgned thanks). Hope that improves things a little at least!
Thanks - that slipped by me. Guess I got used to using it that way in imp2.
Looks like expression works the same way in the new version too.

Still - I'm looking forward to the time when impOSCar gets X-mods,
so I don't have to use a backwards/upside down method of playing. :help:

Or maybe just break down and add release velocity as a mod source,
so there wouldn't have to be any workarounds at all. :tu:

felis wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:09 pm I love the sound of impOSCar, but it wreaks havoc with my playing technique, as well as being a bit limited for modulation.
In order to get some semblance of release velocity, you've got to assign velocity to impOSCar2 Legacy release.
So essentially it's using it somewhat backwards - a slow velocity attack will get you a longer release (and vice-versa).
Also, you can only assign velocity to one destination, and I always use it for that.

That's why the lack of X-Mods in V3 was such a disappointment for me.
Adjusting an XADSR on the GForce stuff that has it, and assigning it to release will give me a proper response, as well as being able to use them for many other things.
Hopefully, they can address this in the future.
I'm frustrated for the same points. ImpOSCar has been my favorite VSTi when the v1, but I'm so disappointed.

Return to “Instruments”