Arturia releases MiniBrute V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:19 pm Ultimately it was a confirmation of the type of bias we all have.

If you admit you have confirmation bias, like we all do, then that is precisely why I won't take anyone's subjective opinion on how great it is, until I hear an objective comparison between emulation and hardware. Apparently, that upsets many big egos on this forum.
:dog: Point: missed. I’m not asking you to ignore your own observations. The opposite, actually. I’m saying that you should install the demo and come to a conclusion based on your own experience.

I’m reminded of the famous Diva vs. OB-6 shoot-outs. Many of the comparisons sounded so similar I couldn’t make a good guess, many had the plugin sounding better to my ears. Ultimately, the guy was selling a sound set, so whether or not he was conscious of making Diva sound a bit better, I think he did. I’m sure those settings didn’t make it into the demos. My point is, unless you actually see the patches getting created from scratch, and see what’s happening on a spectrum analyzer, making sure things like filters are being tuned precisely, then even a “objective” a-b comparison will only get you so far. I absolutely can find settings on Diva that would be super easy to guess were a plugin.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:03 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:19 pm Ultimately it was a confirmation of the type of bias we all have.

If you admit you have confirmation bias, like we all do, then that is precisely why I won't take anyone's subjective opinion on how great it is, until I hear an objective comparison between emulation and hardware. Apparently, that upsets many big egos on this forum.
:dog: Point: missed. I’m not asking you to ignore your own observations. The opposite, actually. I’m saying that you should install the demo and come to a conclusion based on your own experience.

I’m reminded of the famous Diva vs. OB-6 shoot-outs. Many of the comparisons sounded so similar I couldn’t make a good guess, many had the plugin sounding better to my ears. Ultimately, the guy was selling a sound set, so whether or not he was conscious of making Diva sound a bit better, I think he did. I’m sure those settings didn’t make it into the demos. My point is, unless you actually see the patches getting created from scratch, and see what’s happening on a spectrum analyzer, making sure things like filters are being tuned precisely, then even a “objective” a-b comparison will only get you so far. I absolutely can find settings on Diva that would be super easy to guess were a plugin.
Also, the featured ones in the video(s) etc. were all carefully selected to be the ones most like an OB-6, whereas the ones not featured but still in the preset pack were decidedly less like an OB-6. Finally, the sounds were also crafted within a small "window" of what the OB-6 can actually do, because Diva really doesn't sound like an OB-6. It was all quite disingenuous and pure salesmanship - and a lot of people fell for it.

As for this emulation.... it didn't do "it" for me. But I've never been a Brute fan, and Arturia stuff continually lets me down to the point I sold all of it, so I'm biased AND have a high bar of what I expect.

I also didn't expect the massive cpu hit for something that doesn't sound as good (to me) than my other analog-sounding software synths. I ended up deleting the demo.

I like it a lot.
Just a snippet with some Pulsar Echorec on top.
https://soundcloud.com/septicstudio/sep ... nd-candala

DrGonzo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:49 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:39 pm I'm not a coder, but from what I've heard, getting any sort of distortion or feedback to sound nice is not easy on the ol' CPU, no matter how optimized your code is. This is why so many synths alias a lot when distortion is generated, even when a filter goes into self oscillation.
I'm honestly not sure about that. I mean looking at quite old VSTs like impOSCar (already back in v1) - the drive you get by pushing the filter and volume (together for max saturation) is glorious. And that stuff was made without boiling the CPU ten+ years ago.

I think it's just different approaches. But just like you, I am not a coder.

/Carl
It’s been years, and I no longer have it installed, but have you actually tried to drive it as hard as possible and see how it sounds all the way up a 61 key controller?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:13 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:03 pm

Also, the featured ones in the video(s) etc. were all carefully selected to be the ones most like an OB-6, whereas the ones not featured but still in the preset pack were decidedly less like an OB-6. Finally, the sounds were also crafted within a small "window" of what the OB-6 can actually do, because Diva really doesn't sound like an OB-6. It was all quite disingenuous and pure salesmanship - and a lot of people fell for it.

As for this emulation.... it didn't do "it" for me. But I've never been a Brute fan, and Arturia stuff continually lets me down to the point I sold all of it, so I'm biased AND have a high bar of what I expect.

I also didn't expect the massive cpu hit for something that doesn't sound as good (to me) than my other analog-sounding software synths. I ended up deleting the demo.
Well, if you don’t like the Minibrute, it’s pretty likely that you won’t like an emulation either. It takes a lot of CPU cycles to do feedback and wave folding without noticeable aliasing, at least that’s been my general experience.

I had a Minibrute for a long time. “Had” being the important word in that sentence. I actually loved a lot about it, but the Brute Factor and Metalizer never really sounded great to me. My PolyBrute sounds a lot better to my ears, when doing the same kinds of stuff. Ultimately I sold it, but I did miss some things about it. The envelopes on “Fast” were so super snappy. Maybe the snappiest I’ve ever used.

Without a proper demo, I’d say that I’m fairly excited to get it, but not excited enough to buy it now. I’ll wait until it’s part of V Collection and then upgrade from V9.
Zerocrossing Media

those were the days...12 years ago...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uOspbtnW34

:-)

the plugin sounds nice imho - but eats cpu like nothing
i do have the hardware
maybe a steiner-filter as filterFX coming?
mmaybe a steiner filter for pigments coming (Xmas ?) ?

and a nice early review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7943bYSdVc

There's seemingly no predicting which new products end up in Analog Lab for everyone. MiniFreak made it in, but seemingly not MiniBrute.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Would've prefered an update to the Arp2600 and Moog Modular but there's no money in upgrades.

I need to demo it more before deciding.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

I dont don’t have inside information but I am confident we’ll see an update. It wouldn’t make sense to leave it out.

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:54 am There's seemingly no predicting which new products end up in Analog Lab for everyone. MiniFreak made it in, but seemingly not MiniBrute.

Scotty wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:45 am I dont don’t have inside information…
So, you’re saying you DO have inside information? :o
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Tempted to pick this up, my price is $49 as have V Collection, Fx Collection, Microfreak etc. Does it do any FM/audio rate stuff?

Sounds really good! I'd say it ranks up there as one of the best analog emulations so far.

I’ve been consolidating my plugins down as much as possible lately and I'm getting convincing SH-101 and 303 sounds out of it. This might replace both of those for me.
You are currently reading my signature.

swilow11 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:10 am Does it do any FM/audio rate stuff?
Nope, it'd have to be the Microbrute or Minibrute 2 for that.

At $49 bucks it was insta buy for me :)
PS; So far so good, don't experience any issues in CPU spikes…

Demoed it a bit today and tbh was very underwhelmed. Given the CPU hit, I'd want it to be amazing but this is just a basic subtractive synth with a few little extra shiny bits. I'm kinda amazed they plan to sell this for $199. Even at $49, I'm not sold.

That said, I have enough VA synths like Tal Mod/Bassline plus the V Collection, and the stuff I make generally works best with wavetables or FM, so I'm clearly not the target audience.

Strange products of late from Arturia...

Return to “Instruments”