Unfiltered Audio Battalion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know I'm a freak, here, but: I don't want to use the internal sequencer*. [gasp!] ...but I do want to use the preset sounds. [gasps in Spanish!]

...It would be nice if there were a one-click way to clear all of the patterns in a patch. ...am I missing something, or do I really have to go in to each channel and clear each note in each pattern by hand?! It's a real PITA, frankly.

* Note: It's not that I don't like the sequencer. It's great. Really. ...I just ... don't work that way. I want to play my drums into a pattern. It's just a workflow thing. Don't take it personally.

It would be nice to have a bunch more voice presets and to have them organized by type rather than author.

Overall I really like it. BUT. Massive CPU hog - it eats 20% of my Ryzen 7 CPU just loaded to track. I had to kill Studio One several times today, because it has caused it frozen, so pretty buggy. Also randomizer could be a bit more conservative as any settings over 5% starts to generate a total mess from the original. Mute and Solo would be cool to have available immediately without need to select individual track on all pages, not only in mix/fx page. Also I don't understand why solo automatically does not release mute on the same track and vice versa.

parma wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:53 am and when hitting the Master "Random" I get the error in the screen grab. I am able to select "OK" and then Battalion and Reason get along despite the warning. It also happens occasionally just from switching presets. I'll submit an actual bug report if I don't hear back from you here.
I confirm this issue with REASON 12 under Monterey with an Imac M1 (16 Go RAM Memory) .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Another Reason-oriented bug:

Opening Battalion's GUI while the transport is active with other audio tracks playing causes ALL audio to drop out for a moment. Reason 12, 10.13.6

Hoping this is one that can be fixed with the processing optimizations planned!

perox wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:19 pm Also randomizer could be a bit more conservative as any settings over 5% starts to generate a total mess from the original.
I get the best results with 1 or 2%. Like you said, anything over 5% and you get instant cacophony. The random amount should be scaled differently. I'd honestly make what is now 10% be the new 100%.

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm
sacer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm I'll wait until it's $29 in 9 months.
me too
Demoed. I think Microtonic has met its match.
It doesn`t even come close to Microtonic.

panspOrmia wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:03 am
plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm
sacer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm I'll wait until it's $29 in 9 months.

me too
Demoed. I think Microtonic has met its match.
It doesn`t even come close to Microtonic.

You're right. It exceeds it!

Kidding! Kind of.

I'd say sonically it is capable of more diversity than Microtonic. The sequencer smokes Microtonic except for the almost inexplicable lack of patterns. But that's on the way.
Where Battalion can't touch Microtonic is the effort to result ratio. It is so easy to dial in sounds with Microtonic. It is so perfectly designed it's a little work of art. The only thing holding it back somewhat is the too basic sequencer.

Oh, also you could probably run like 20 instances of Microtonic for each one Battalion CPU wise.

Anyway, I think Battalion has a lot to offer beyond what Microtonic is capable of.

I'm waiting on my new-build SCAN 3XS PC to be finished, so I can run Battalion (and MYTH) without unwanted glitching. My 10 year-old i5 3XS laptop just can't cope anymore. Estimated despatch is Thursday or Friday next week :wheee:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:38 am I'm waiting on my new-build SCAN 3XS PC to be finished, so I can run Battalion (and MYTH) without unwanted glitching. My 10 year-old i5 3XS laptop just can't cope anymore. Estimated despatch is Thursday or Friday next week :wheee:
Nice! I'm on a 12-year-old Mac Pro and I'm definitely due for an update to run these new CPU eaters. Sometime in the next 12 months or so.

Introspective wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:10 pm I know I'm a freak, here, but: I don't want to use the internal sequencer*. [gasp!] ...but I do want to use the preset sounds. [gasps in Spanish!]

...It would be nice if there were a one-click way to clear all of the patterns in a patch. ...am I missing something, or do I really have to go in to each channel and clear each note in each pattern by hand?! It's a real PITA, frankly.

* Note: It's not that I don't like the sequencer. It's great. Really. ...I just ... don't work that way. I want to play my drums into a pattern. It's just a workflow thing. Don't take it personally.
This drives me crazy too. No simple way to clear the pattern and/or disable the engine from playing back when the DAW does. Otherwise the sequencer offers a nice preview as in to what all the sounds are about.

I'd also like to see a contingency of the regular style of drum machines for us to mix, match and mangle with Battalion

<deleted>

It is very strange that it is impossible to copy a page of patterns in it; you need to manually write 64 steps instead of copying 8 steps four times, and each duplicated layer can be changed individually - this is elementary for any drum machine, let alone modern ones. Here we get 128 steps and each step needs to be manually added over and over again with the same mouse clicks for each parameter, and if I need to diversify the four steps that were successful for me, how can I achieve them for the next 16 steps to slightly change them. duplicating every little step with the mouse is no longer a live performance but a painstaking robot - or am I missing something?
On my weak PC i-5 I can load 3 force opal max for live in ableton live and this is a very powerful drum machine with very strong synthesis engines and full modulation of any parameter and insane reverb. But she doesn't have as much processor as a battalion.
The battalion has very cool potential, but it needs improvements on usability and a little bit of optimization)))

Return to “Instruments”