Seperate stems don't work

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Same here!
Got excited from seeing the new Vids, so paid to upgrade to 12.5
Using Win 10 - Had the same installation problems, even though it said it was installed i kept getting the error saying the pack wasn't installed, so the 7zip fix (above) fixed that.
Now when i try to use it, I'm getting the "exit code 1" error (No matter what option i choose how to split it, ex: bass, drums or all 4 stems. i get the same error exit code 1) I tried various audio clips, and split options as well.
Everything else seems to be OK so far.

Oddly, given how glitchy the update is for me, separating stems worked ok (Intel Mac OSX 12.6). But when I added a midi track with Collective, there were lots of glitches and crackles and slow-downs.

Lol, add me to the list. This "split to stems" feature was a big selling point in getting me to finally go for it and take advantage of the sale to move up from 11 Pro to 12.5 ...anyway, I regret to report I'm also getting the following error: "The stem split process started but failed. Exit code 1"

Running Linux here. It worked in my setup. Had to reboot/reinstall a couple of times, but it is working.

It works flawless on Linux too.
Who has a problem, can try to debug by looking inside your home "Tracktion/Waveform/Content/Extensions/Stem Separation/" folder and try to run the script inside with proper arguments

On Windows, I found it in 'AppData\Roaming\Tracktion\Content'. But there is a single file 'Waveform_stem_separation_windows.content' wich cannot be executed. So I suppose it's installed properly, but just isn't working.
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

Glad I haven't installed yet. Had a feeling it'd probably be best to wait and see the responses, and holy cow, seems like there are a lot of major issues. I've got several projects in the works. Will wait until this stuff is ironed out.

irpacynot wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:07 am Glad I haven't installed yet. Had a feeling it'd probably be best to wait and see the responses, and holy cow, seems like there are a lot of major issues. I've got several projects in the works. Will wait until this stuff is ironed out.
...means another 6 months.
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

mikoatkvr wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:39 am For those having problems installing the Stem separation package you can try installing 7-zip on your system. Although Waveform 12.5 ships with a version of 7-zip i don't think it is getting invoked properly. It might also be possible that you have some other compression software set as your default on your system , try making 7-zip the default.
while i appreciate your sharing this fix, i really think that Tracktion needs to make this work without relying on the user to make such changes to their system.

Weird, So I see some people saying "Stem separation" is working on Linux, so i took the same Lenovo laptop that has Win 10 Pro installed and swapped the HD with another and installed a fresh copy of Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon and nothing else but Waveform 12.5.4...
Guess what? "Stem separation" works! Granted it took like a half hour to separate a 4 min song (the laptop fan was in high mode and laptop was warm) but it worked!
And its kind of interesting, when you solo the stems it does a decent job of separation, not perfect, some artifacts and phasing sound but overall pretty cool. When all stems played together its defiantly not as noticeable. I just used an mp3, maybe a wav file would work better? I'll have to see.

The same laptop with Win 10 Pro"Stem separation"t would not work?

But....
with the Linux OS
The waveform 12.5.4 Update every time I click on a Audio file in the Browser, no matter what Format, Waveform crashes to Desktop with audio engine error, then then waveform reboots.
Yes there is defiantly some bugs and inconsistencies.
Sucks having to pay for upgrade and stuff not working on one OS and it works on the other, and on one audio clips make it crash.

(Waveform 12.5.4 / Linux Mint 21.1) (Waveform 12.5.4 / Win 10 Pro) Same Lenovo Laptop

JamminFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:31 am while i appreciate your sharing this fix, i really think that Tracktion needs to make this work without relying on the user to make such changes to their system.
Looks like they agree.

released 05/30/23

- UI: Fixed "Create a multi-out Rack for this plugin inside a submix" not creating the submix
- UI: Fixed preset selector readability in light colour schemes
- UI: Fixed chord clip tooltip
- Stem separation: Fixed installing the Stem Separation feature from the DM on Windows
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:53 pm
JamminFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:31 am while i appreciate your sharing this fix, i really think that Tracktion needs to make this work without relying on the user to make such changes to their system.
Looks like they agree.

released 05/30/23

- UI: Fixed "Create a multi-out Rack for this plugin inside a submix" not creating the submix
- Stem separation: Fixed installing the Stem Separation feature from the DM on Windows
Great to hear they're trying to fix it. That said, I'm still getting the stem split error after updating to 12.5.4 and reinstalling Waveform Stem Separation Content. And now it has acquired a habit of crashing on me when I so much as click on an audio file in the browser that i'd like to drag in. But when it doesn't crash, and I'm able to drag it in, and attempt the "stem split", I still get this error: "The stem split process started but failed with exit code 1"

Same here for just selecting an mp3 file to audition. Instacrash. Reverted to 12.5.3.
jonatello wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:39 pm
Looks like they agree.

released 05/30/23

Great to hear they're trying to fix it. That said, I'm still getting the stem split error after updating to 12.5.4 and reinstalling Waveform Stem Separation Content. And now it has acquired a habit of crashing on me when I so much as click on an audio file in the browser that i'd like to drag in. But when it doesn't crash, and I'm able to drag it in, and attempt the "stem split", I still get this error: "The stem split process started but failed with exit code 1"
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Looks like they agree.

released 05/30/23

So obviously they have been monitoring this forum (as you would expect, figbug has been on here)
I think some companies underestimate the importance of public interaction. I saw the same thing at Plugin Alliance after the merger. Dirk disappeared off Facebook (as he'd sold his stake) and everybody started getting worried about the future of the products. (nothing really changed except the social media presence stopped)
Waveform in its current form is an excellent tool, with bugs. I'm another one who thinks if they could spend one year shaking the old 'pretty buggy' tag that they've acquired over the years it would be better for the company in the long run. Also acknowledging that the business model is probably weighted towards the third party and 'extra' plugins that make up the Tracktion Universe.

Hold tight guys things are being finalised for the next update with fixes for :-

* stem separation pack not installing [ internal 7zip fix ]
* stem separation not working and throwing errors
* crash when previewing samples in the browser
* tag system not updating automatically

( there will most likely be other fixes and/or improvements too )

Things are looking good so far when beta testing this on my Windows machine, so hopefully the Developers have got the main issues sorted.

Hope this helps for any of you guys that have been worrying :)

Return to “Tracktion”