Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IZ wORKIN nOW HOMIE
frankpain wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:09 am Install 7Zip
Uncheck Auto tempo
Uncheck Time Stretching
riley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Processor AMD PRO A10-8750B R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (30.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

https://soundclick.com/guerillagenus

After leaving behind all the jiggles and doing some jobs with stem seperation I have to say: I like it :-)
horst

Yup, it's a lot of fun. It struggles with really dense material at times, gets quite phasey, but it's pretty clever. Like it tries to separate out the reverb into the correct stem.
I've been testing it out by tidying up a few old funk breaks with varying results, some really good. One tried to pull the noise floor out into the "other" stem which was pretty neat. Splitting a vocal phrase out of a drum fill gets a bit untidy, but you can eq/process each stem separately and then sum them back together in a sort of remastering process.

Such a cool, unexpected addition to the Waveform universe.

What worries me here is the desire for the future, when the past has not yet been sorted out.

jonatello wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:37 pm
mikoatkvr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:16 pm Hold tight guys things are being finalised for the next update with fixes for :-

* stem separation pack not installing [ internal 7zip fix ]
* stem separation not working and throwing errors
* crash when previewing samples in the browser
* tag system not updating automatically

( there will most likely be other fixes and/or improvements too )

Things are looking good so far when beta testing this on my Windows machine, so hopefully the Developers have got the main issues sorted.

Hope this helps for any of you guys that have been worrying :)
Would this be 12.5.5 ?
Is this an update we can expect this week, or should we assume it will be a while?
Was advised by support 7/7 to reinstall. Didn't work. Today after waiting for them to get back to me, I fully removed Waveform 12 and reinstalled the DAW and DJ Tools using the Download Manager. Still getting "Please ensure that this has been installed via the Downloads page or Download Manager and try again"

Waveform Version 12.5.5 (Built: 31 May 2023) (64-bit)

Not seeing an official fix, nor any mentioned throughout the thread, but a brand new Win 11 Ryzen 5600G build with Waveform 12.5.11 installed fresh along with the apparently necessary Waveform Stem Separation Content 1.0.1 and with Auto-Pitch and Auto-Temp both OFF (unchecked) on either an .MP3 or a .WAV file imported to a track, I still can't make Split to Stems work without seeing "...failed with exit code 1".
Have reinstalled both, rebooted, installed 7Zip, reinstalled both. Nothing at all makes it work.

Any ideas? Or did the next, next, next update break something...?
Brian / Clearwater, FL

It works for me. I did have bother with it to start with, but that was ages ago, so I don't recall all the details. I've just done another test (with an mp3) and it works pretty well. I'm also on 12.5.11 and have 1.0.1 of the Stem Separation Content. Using Windows 10.

I'll have a read through the rest of the thread and see if it jogs my memory...

...well, it was jogged a bit. As far as I can remember the suggested changes fixed it for me. Which doesn't help you, alas.
Last edited by jabe on Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks for weighing in, it does give a bit of hope! Seems Win 11 is the only obvious difference for me from you but it's likely something way more subtle.
Brian / Clearwater, FL

The progress bar completes, so I'm guessing it may have something to do with writing the data out to the tracks. I've got more than 4 unused tracks open below the track in question with the audio. It could just be background processes creating the variance, but repeating the attempt several times in a row seems to take differing amounts of time for the progress bar to reach full and then the error message to immediately follow.
Brian / Clearwater, FL

In your Project folder in the subfolder "Rendered", did the resulting wav files have appeared there, did the process reach to that stage? If not, did you check that you have write permissions to this location where those files are supposed to appear?

(WF Free 12.5.11 installed on KDE/Linux (Debian, oldstable "bullseye"), then upgraded to WF Pro 12.5.11 by entering the license data and downloading & installing the additional functionality to the already existing installation, and Stem Seperation worked like a charm right out of the box.)
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

Thanks very much, good to have someone start parsing how this is supposed to work! There were 5 files in the Rendered folder for my project. Strangely, none were related to my project ("Start the New Year today edit... --seemingly some test project content), which is bizarre, as I was splitting an instrumental track so not sure how they got there. This was definitely the new project named folder I had created that I was in as in the Imported folder in the hierarchy I could see the 5 various files I had imported (and copied locally during the import) and attempted to split wanting to ensure I wasn't just working with a bad MP3 file.

Anyway, I deleted those files in the Rendered folder, and attempted the split again, but now nothing is in the rendered folder after the bar goes to 100% followed by the error message.

So then I wanted my projects on another drive anyway, rather than the default location on C:, so again created a new project, pointed it to be in "D:\Waveform PROJECTS", opened the Default Project Template to a blank screen of tracks, imported the MP3 file, disabled Auto Tempo within the Clip properties (Auto-Pitch seems Off by default), then attempted the split, watched the progress bar reach 100% then fail again a half second later, and the Rendered folder for the new project is empty despite the normal full project directory hierarchy being there, including the Imported folder holding the MP3 copy it made. So, to answer your question, Waveform is able to write there since it did create the project folder hierarchy and was able to copy the MP3 there.

A bit maddening for sure!
Brian / Clearwater, FL

this error was originally caused by (if my memory is correct) Tracktion forgetting to include the appropriate extractor in the installation package, hence all the references to 7-zip above. This was fixed quite quickly in 12.5.4. If you have 12.5.11, this shouldn't be the problem, but it could be an installation problem. I can't remember specifically this installation now, but if you use the download manager, after you have clicked install, and it has downloaded, it will pop up saying installed (which often means the installer has installed) and then you click the little arrow to bring up the installer and complete the process. In Waveform go to settings/file locations/feature extensions. Does Stem Separation show up there as installed? For me it is installed in Users/Public/Public Documents/Tracktion/Waveform/Content/Extensions/Stem Separartion.

Just a few things to check, as the problem you have sounds very similar to when we were all initially trying to split stems and the package hadn't installed properly.

Thanks! Content \ Extensions folder is there and contains:
\ Stem Separation
\ Windows
\ models
.DS_Store
055717e8-8726e21a.th
htdemucs.yaml
\ python
(lots of content, folders: DLLs, include, Lib, libs, Scripts, tcl, PLUS files like ffmpeg, ffplay, DLLs, etc.)
.DS_Store
demucs_tracktion
.DS_Store

The Stem Separation folder properties show a total of 17,490 files, 1.26GB Size (1,361,644,298).

So it does appear to be installed. Note that it does run the progress bar across to 100%, then hesitates a split second, then the error appears, which is why I thought it might be failing when needing to write the Stems so why I reinstalled and then also separately tried a new project folder.

This is a new PC build as mentioned, fresh install Win 11, authorized, 16GB Ram, tons of HD space. Running perfectly with zero crashes so far, installing Waveform, Bitwig, running Chrome / YouTube. I used to manage a PC support call center after coming up through the ranks, so like to think I'm pretty detailed and trying to cover all the bases, so have done the requisite reboots/ reinstalls, but it's baffling with seeing others get it resolved several patches back from the .11 patch...

Thanks again for weighing in.
Brian / Clearwater, FL

I deleted the Stem Separation folder manually from Explorer, then ran the reinstall from Download Manager, and the Stem Separation properties show a TINY difference in size:
was: 1,361,644,298
now: 1,361,644,193

Still failed the same with error trying to run a Stem Separation, so 3rd time being a charm (hoping...), close Waveform, deleted the Stem Separation folder again (SH-DEL, not just to recycle bin) and reinstalled from Download Manager 3rd time, and things took a nasty Twilight Zone aura: Extensions folder shows EMPTY after Download Manager claimed the reinstall was complete! Jason's back, and he's in my PC!

On to reinstall attempt #4, and it fails to show up after Download Manager claims the reinstall is complete.

So, off to a cold boot, re-attempt, and then assume it's not happy with deleting the folder, so will uninstall Waveform completely and start over from ground zero... I don't give up easily, but getting more confused rather than closing in on it it would seem.
Brian / Clearwater, FL

A cold boot allowed Download Manager to reinstall it, but still fails to work. Folder size is a repeat of the 2nd smaller one: ... ,193.

Because I know I start wondering if they've missed a step, here's a collage of my screen after moving the error enough to show the completion progress bar, the empty tracks and the Clip Properties, as well as folder size for Stem Separation folder.

Brian / Clearwater, FL

Return to “Tracktion”