KORG Collection 5 with ARP 2600 Emulation coming Summer 2024

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep, I would've preferred the Arturia V Collection to stick to vintage synths, with a few other vintage keyboards thrown in, and sell the Augmented stuff separately, but they didn't ask me!

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:02 pm Well, many of us were all wanting hoping for Arturia to do an ARP 2600 update. Instead you got Augmented Grand Piano and CP-70. Seems Arturia are more interested in the Stage Piano market than their original goal of vintage software.
they do it slow - there are no new exciting instruments since KorgMS20, so they try to rebuild a single or two old Synhts in every major V Collection.

V8 - Jupiter8
V9 - CS80 / Prophet 5 & VS
V10 - Mini 4
v11 - ARP2600
V12 - Modular
V13 - SEM
V14 - Matrix

or hopefully
V11 Arp2600 & Modular
V12 SEM & Marrix
V13 Buchla & Synthi

I could imagine that Arturia would nail the arp2600 better than Korg. Korg has always used lot of marketing to promote their last Analog emulations like Korg Odissey / miniKORG 700S but none of them is listed in the best analog emulations like softube, Tal, U-he.
Arturia has done a great job with JupV4, Prophet 5 and Mini V4 when comparing to Softube, U-he, Tal and Roland. Even the new CS80 sounds better than Memorymoon ME80.

But let's see - Korg has rebuild the real deal and some years have gone, since their last analog emulations. I can imagine that soundwise the timewarp2600 is hard to top.

"We spent months understanding every detail of the original and modern schematics, studying manuals, testing with oscilloscopes, and most importantly listening. This is the only ARP 2600 plug-in that can faithfully recreate all 100 sounds in the original 2600 Patch Book. Extensive anti-aliasing techniques deliver truly premium audio quality. KC ARP 2600 adds both classic modifications and entirely new modules, while preserving the distinctive character and design philosophy of the original instrument."

Instead of EP-1 and VOX Continental, the Radias would have been nice

Did someone checked it out at Korgs SuperBooth ?
Still no videos about it ...

sacer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 pm Instead of EP-1 and VOX Continental, the Radias would have been nice
I personally value the Radias over an ARP 2600. EP-1 on my Kronos is one of my favorite model Electrics, even though I now use Pianoteq for those about 80% of the time. Vox Continental is something I'm always looking for and one of the three organs I consider a "must" (the others being a Hammond C-3 and a Yamaha YC-45d). Still on Collection 3 because the last three additions didn't add anything I desired. Looking forward to the demos. Still, I may wait for Collection 6...

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:40 am
It's bizarre and makes no sense. First Korg license the MS-20 to Arturia, then they create 2 new instruments for their own collection that aren't even Korgs, and which were already in the Arturia V-Collection.

This means you need the V-Collection for the best MS-20 emulation, but the Korg collection for the best Arp 2600 (the one in Arturia's collection is a bit outdated).
I think you're forgetting that Korg own ARP. They already made an Odyssey, making a 2600 next makes perfect sense...predictable, even.

As for the MS-20, yeah, that was an odd choice.

sacer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 pm Arturia has the bad habbit to rework their old stuff as soon as some competitor has raised the bar.....
Why is that a bad habit? A company improving their products would generally seem to be a good idea.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

As the long-time owner of an original VOX Super Continental, I'm interested in trying a demo of their upcoming VOX VSTi. I think it's a fun idea. 8)

While I do have an actual Super Continental here, one big advantage of a VSTi would be having MIDI control. Having programmable presets would also be a welcome addition. I hope they make this a proper tri-timbral instrument, with the two keyboards on seperate MIDI channels, and the bass pedals on a third MIDI channel.
GlenVision.com

McLilith wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:57 am I hope they make this a proper tri-timbral instrument, with the two keyboards on seperate MIDI channels, and the bass pedals on a third MIDI channel.
Just put it on three separate instances on three different MIDI channels

Would have the advantage of being to process the audio for each part with things like EQ and compression super easy also

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:14 am
McLilith wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:57 am I hope they make this a proper tri-timbral instrument, with the two keyboards on seperate MIDI channels, and the bass pedals on a third MIDI channel.
Just put it on three separate instances on three different MIDI channels

Would have the advantage of being to process the audio for each part with things like EQ and compression super easy also
The two keyboards have a different assortment of sounds, as does the pedalboard. To do what you propose seems a bit wasteful. You would have two unused organ sections in each instance, and the code for the TOG and dividers would be replicated 3 times. Just guessing, but I would expect that to consume more computer resources that way. Also, it would still be possible to have separate audio outputs for each section in a tri-timbral instrument.

Note: The original organ only has a single mono output for everything combined, but I suspect Korg will probably expand the number of audio output channels.
GlenVision.com

McLilith wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:11 am Just guessing, but I would expect that to consume more computer resources that way. Also, it would still be possible to have separate audio outputs for each section in a tri-timbral instrument.
Depending on how the VST was coded running three timbers in parallel inside of a single instance of a VST would actually probably use more resources than running it in three separate instances as each instance would get its own thread and core assigned to it by your DAW

Yamaha YC 45d should be added.l, it's a must have instrument imo.
Korg belonged to Yamaha for a while,
so it's their job to dev and release it,
Yamaha probably will never do it

Korg has been making good strides going over to software. Now they are slowly starting to port Kronos engines over (although the Ms20 and Poly 6 has been in software for awhile).

I can see them doing their Piano Engine and Mod7 one day.

Now we have Korg, Roland, and Yamaha in the software game. I think Korg has been doing it the longest (and seems to be the most well liked from a software perspective), but Roland seems to be doing pretty good here as well. I think Yamaha is just testing the waters though. If Yamaha Montage ESP goes commercial and has success, I wonder if Nord decides to jump in the game.

Its very disappointing that the Triton gets no update.
We need PCG import and the Moss Z1 + Sampler.

Once again, Korg has understood nothing and is completely drifting.

He takes no account of his customers or potential future customers.

Korg was a company at the top, one of the references, pillars.

Now the drift.

Many people are asking for reissues of the Korg 01/wfd, Z1, Radias, MS 2000 and other gems from their collections.

Korg has once again missed the bandwagon.

We can criticize Roland on many things (subscription among others), but they at least have a collection of their material heritage.

Korg wake up before you sink completely into oblivion.

Excessive prices for not particularly quality equipment with incomprehensible shortcomings.

Two examples, Wavestate SE, keyboard not even polyphonic aftertouch, stupid with a machine with such immense potential where expressiveness is a significant asset.

Ridiculous screen, for an advanced version no matter what.

For the edition, a screen worthy of the name would have been an obligation (Kontrol s61 mk3 screen style).

For 1600 euros it was a major obligation and also given the potential of this machine.

The price there would have been justified, even a little more expensive.

If you want to get into the design, programming the original screen is nonsense, to have comfort of use, you need to go through the editor.

So, buying hardware only to have to go through virtual technology is not very useful, or even stupid, as a process.

So the Se Platinium version is really big bullshit.

I love Korg, but this is a complete nonsense.

Wake up Korg before it's too late, if not already.

Really too bad, when we see the wealth of this society, their choices are really incomprehensible and even stupid.

Return to “Instruments”