"Cheap" hardware synth for techno?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm looking at Moog Minitaur but I'm not sure if it would satisfy my needs.

I'm looking to do this kind of bass lines, and perhaps some simple plucks, leads.
Should I look for smth else?

Also I would need to get it to work with Logic Pro on M1 Mac Mini.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDscSzeSA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxXoD2TuAxs&list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3WCGekLvIY&list
https://youtu.be/L5G7Bu4XGwg?feature=shared&t=104 (1:04)
https://youtu.be/fdLZ8j-AApI?feature=shared&t=60 (sounds that starts at 1min)

Korg Volca Bass (£126)
Behringer Model D (£249)
Korg MS-20 (£499)
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

egbert101 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 pm Korg Volca Bass (£126)
Behringer Model D (£249)
Korg MS-20 (£499)
I've read that the mini version of MS-20 has awful build quality.
I can't seem to find other version on UK market for normal price.

The Minitaur is a great little synth that is capable of many of those techno sounds. Its biggest limitations are (1) the number of secondary functions that aren't really all that intuitive and require you to remember the button combinations, keep a cheat sheet handy, or use the software editor, and (2) the lack of a screen for visual feedback, knowing which patch you're editing, etc.

It's great for leads and basses (and analog percs/drums), but its use for plucks is pretty limited because it's obviously a mono synth. So, you'd either need to layer recordings for polyphonic/chord plucks, or just use it for mono pluck sounds, possibly by detuning an oscillator for 5ths, etc.

As for use with Logic, as long as it's connected via USB or 5-pin MIDI and set up properly in your Mac's audio/MIDI setup environment, Logic should recognize it and communicate with it flawlessly. You can set it up to send/receive MIDI CC values as well for MIDI automation.

It's a very cool little box IMO and I sorta wish I still had one around. But, some others that you may want to consider for techno are:
- Novation Bass Station II (mono)
- Korg Minilogue XD or original (4-note polyphonic, so better for plucks/pads)
- Dreadbox Typhon (mono)
- Waldorf Pulse 2 (mono)
- Elektron Analog Four mk1 or mk2 (4-voice analog with killer sequencer for techno; can serve as a 4-voice poly, 4 individual monos, or any combination in between; more expensive than the others, but so worth it!)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 pm The Minitaur is a great little synth that is capable of many of those techno sounds. Its biggest limitations are (1) the number of secondary functions that aren't really all that intuitive and require you to remember the button combinations, keep a cheat sheet handy, or use the software editor, and (2) the lack of a screen for visual feedback, knowing which patch you're editing, etc.

It's great for leads and basses (and analog percs/drums), but its use for plucks is pretty limited because it's obviously a mono synth. So, you'd either need to layer recordings for polyphonic/chord plucks, or just use it for mono pluck sounds, possibly by detuning an oscillator for 5ths, etc.

As for use with Logic, as long as it's connected via USB or 5-pin MIDI and set up properly in your Mac's audio/MIDI setup environment, Logic should recognize it and communicate with it flawlessly. You can set it up to send/receive MIDI CC values as well for MIDI automation.

It's a very cool little box IMO and I sorta wish I still had one around. But, some others that you may want to consider for techno are:
- Novation Bass Station II (mono)
- Korg Minilogue XD or original (4-note polyphonic, so better for plucks/pads)
- Dreadbox Typhon (mono)
- Elektron Analog Four mk1 or mk2 (4-voice analog with killer sequencer for techno; can serve as a 4-voice poly, 4 individual monos, or any combination in between; more expensive than the others, but so worth it!)
I don't have a MIDI input in my Mac so I guess I would need additional equipment.
As for "Novation Bass Station II" I've had this synth but found it too limiting personally.

Speaking of the Waldorf Pulse 2, it went out of production a year ago, but Thomann recently released a special edition in light blue (that people probably either love or hate) at a ridiculous price:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/waldorf_pu ... dition.htm

I just saw this the other day but, unfortunately, they won't sell to US-based customers. :(

Anyway, it's a pretty powerful analog synth that I'd probably take over anything mentioned so far, aside from the Analog Four mk2.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:30 pm aside from the Analog Four mk2.
It's 1500£, way above the budget. :hyper:

isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 pm I don't have a MIDI input in my Mac so I guess I would need additional equipment.
MIDI in/out is also handled by the USB connection, no additional gear needed! (same applies to the other synths mentioned)
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 pm As for "Novation Bass Station II" I've had this synth but found it too limiting personally.
You'll probably find the Minitaur to be even more limiting, in terms of features. Soundwise, it's obviously a matter of preference, but I do think the Minitaur sounds better overall.

isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:30 pm aside from the Analog Four mk2.
It's 1500£, way above the budget. :hyper:
True, but they're much cheaper and usually very easy to find on the secondhand market, especially the mk1 version.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:34 pm You'll probably find the Minitaur to be even more limiting, in terms of features. Soundwise, it's obviously a matter of preference, but I do think the Minitaur sounds better overall.
But I wonder if this synth is good enough for these "plucky" fast basslines? Or is it more for the oldschool style bass lines?

And what do you think of "Behringer Kobol Expander", which seems to be only 175£?

isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:34 pm You'll probably find the Minitaur to be even more limiting, in terms of features. Soundwise, it's obviously a matter of preference, but I do think the Minitaur sounds better overall.
But I wonder if this synth is good enough for these "plucky" fast basslines? Or is it more for the oldschool style bass lines?
The Minitaur has very snappy envelopes, so yes, it's great for fast plucks. But, I would definitely recommend watching some youtube techno vids for the Pulse 2 and see what you think. It's a far more feature-rich synth and has a huge range of sounds. But, it doesn't sound like a Moog.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:44 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm
The Minitaur has very snappy envelopes, so yes, it's great for fast plucks. But, I would definitely recommend watching some youtube techno vids for the Pulse 2 and see what you think. It's a far more feature-rich synth and has a huge range of sounds. But, it doesn't sound like a Moog.
I've watched some and it sounds cool, but from what I can understand most synths use USB for signal but MIDI connection for controlling the synth with MIDI from within the DAW which would be cool...

And what do you think of the synth I listed below? Seems very cheap.

isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm I've watched some and it sounds cool, but from what I can understand most synths use USB for signal but MIDI connection for controlling the synth with MIDI from within the DAW which would be cool...
The USB connection on synths is almost always for MIDI and will do everything the 5-pin MIDI will do and more (e.g., firmware updates, direct communication with a software editor). Audio over USB in synths is less common, but some of the synths mentioned here have that feature (e.g., Dreadbox Typhon, Analog Four).
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm And what do you think of the synth I listed below? Seems very cheap.
I've never used the Kobol Expander, but I believe many people here have, so hopefully someone will chime in with their thoughts.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:02 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm I've watched some and it sounds cool, but from what I can understand most synths use USB for signal but MIDI connection for controlling the synth with MIDI from within the DAW which would be cool...
The USB connection on synths is almost always for MIDI and will do everything the 5-pin MIDI will do and more (e.g., firmware updates, direct communication with a software editor). Audio over USB in synths is less common, but some of the synths mentioned here have that feature (e.g., Dreadbox Typhon, Analog Four).
But then how would I work the audio into DAW? Also afaik Waldorf Pulse 2 doesn't have presets?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”