ALT by Cyma Forma (A desktop paraphonic stereo semi-modular analog synth)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sounds awesome, I want one. I wonder when it will be available.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
hey, the synth is now available for pre-order on kickstarter :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cymaforma/alt (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cymaforma/alt)

cymaforma wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:53 pm hey, the synth is now available for pre-order on kickstarter :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cymaforma/alt
As much as a like the concept and it sounds good I wonder how many steps it takes to get a prototype like the one you showed at Superbooth to a finished product. For example, I noticed that it was made with clear plastic which looks sleek, but impossible to put legible writing on. Are there any moch ups of what the finished product will look like? In this crowded market, I wouldn't want to be starting something from scratch, but I wish you well.

hi! thanks for the kind wishes. the design you saw at superbooth is pretty much the final design. we will fine tune a few things but it will stay 95% the same.
the writing is actually under the plexiglas, directly on the PCB, and is very much readable :) it is a design choice on our part and we’re very happy with it.
as for the development of the synth, if you follow us on social media or on our kickstarter campaign you will be able to see the updates we post regularly :)
there will be a second filter and some added features though! in all cases, we’re always looking for feedback! also curious as to what gave you the impression that the superbooth prototype was so far from a finished product? thanks

cymaforma wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:08 pm also curious as to what gave you the impression that the superbooth prototype was so far from a finished product? thanks
From your website: "(the current version is a prototype; the final version is the one all buyers will receive)"
I like the design. I just have one question before I back it: how do you plan to implement the tuning of the analog oscillators? Will there be a tune reset via memory (digital calibration) or a manual potentiometer.

Hey! On the current version, oscillators are VCOs that we tune with a thin screwdriver through the matrix holes (we’ve placed trimpots underneath). In the next version, we’ll probably switch to DCOs (digital frequency control, analog sound shaping), so that they always stay in tune. Thanks for considering backing it, we really appreciate it🙂

cymaforma wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:44 pm Hey! On the current version, oscillators are VCOs that we tune with a thin screwdriver through the matrix holes (we’ve placed trimpots underneath). In the next version, we’ll probably switch to DCOs (digital frequency control, analog sound shaping), so that they always stay in tune. Thanks for considering backing it, we really appreciate it🙂
I'd actually like the "non staying in tune" part, but I guess you could add that digitally to DCOs, right? Make it so that I could spread them away from perfect tuning maybe?

hey! we are working on a “detune” function that will allow you to move away from that “perfect tuning” per oscillator :)

cymaforma wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:34 am hey! we are working on a “detune” function that will allow you to move away from that “perfect tuning” per oscillator :)
I'm thrilled!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”