Sub $500 CPU for lowest latency

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am thinking to assemble a price/performance ratio PC with focus on audio and video. For video I would get an rtx card what I can afford.

Regarding audio, I use Win10, Live12, with a MOTU M2 interface and some midi controllers. I do not use more than a couple of channels, but I want absolutely minimal latency. I don't know which Intel or AMD processor can provide the lowest latency.

Can you reccommend a CPU in this price range of up to $500 (460EUR), and additionally a suitable motherboard to achieve the lowest possible latency?

What else should I consider?

For lowest latency variation I would pick a fully symmetric/even AMD processor. And your budget allows for a big cache. So the 5800x3d or 7800x3d, depending on whether you want to save money by going DDR4 (not much performance loss for audio if you have the big cache anyway).

I use the Asus Prime boards with great success, but be aware that Asus RMA support can be useless when there are problems. At least in the US.

RME PCIe card, the CPU does not count as much as great drivers do. Or Lynx Aurora, or Presonus Quantum. Those seem to be in the top for low latencies. Personally I would count out most of USB boxes.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:22 pm RME PCIe card, the CPU does not count as much as great drivers do. Or Lynx Aurora, or Presonus Quantum. Those seem to be in the top for low latencies. Personally I would count out most of USB boxes.
Yup. Despite the fact that the OP is asking about a CPU, the soundcard is where to start when it comes to latency.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

davidka wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:39 pm Regarding audio, I use Win10, Live12, with a MOTU M2 interface and some midi controllers. I do not use more than a couple of channels, but I want absolutely minimal latency. I don't know which Intel or AMD processor can provide the lowest latency.
Probably offtopic, but I wouldn't worry too much about latency as such, as long as it's below 5ms. 2.5-ish ms is lowest you can do somewhat reliably (but this must be done on 88200 or higher) and pushing beyond that is not practical, nor noticable.

There is inherit latency in AD/DA converters that can't be overcomed by simply using small buffer sizes. For your typical 44100, latency can't be pushed beyond 3ms on most audio devices. Even if they report low numbers, it rarely confirmed on actual tests.

And to add to that, every plugin that uses oversampling adds to the latency, even if they don't report it. So to get actual low latency one must work at 88.2k or 96k, that reduces the latency from both the AD converters and plugins internal oversampers).

With modern hardware using 64 buffer at 96k isn't that much of a problem, although you must have a decent CPU headroom to avoid glitches. But it's easily doable even on cheap CPUs.

Thanks all, but my M2 is here to stay.
I would like to maximize what I can from this budget and not buy some CPU which architecturally forbids to utilise my USB interface to the max.
I currently have a 2400G Ryzen, which is surprisingly usable, but it is getting old now, and for video, the Vega won't make it. Was not sure if AMD fixed that memory bandwidth issue which affected asio... But thank you for reccommending the 7800x with the Asus motherboard, I will investigate these models.
Also what do you think about Intel 13700K or 14700K?

Why not replacing the 2400G with an 5800X3D, update the Bios for support of the CPU. You need problably a new Powesupply if you want to add NVidia GPU

Wirh this CPU you get more a rhe double, tripple of what you have now.

I would ignore Intel and AM5 , the CPU update ist 300€ plus a cheaper CPU

A soundcard like a mentioned RME gives youtypically 10% more headroom when the CPU is under high load. RME PCI HSDP are low in price on second market.Works well with PCIe Adapater in current hardwardware. Run it aince years with Intel and AMD boards with Windows 10/11. It is kind of mod. But the price and no issues beside that RME ARC has issues with sleep..

Good to know that the PCI HSDP is still working well with an adapter card. Excellent.
ideny wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:45 am A soundcard like a mentioned RME gives youtypically 10% more headroom when the CPU is under high load. RME PCI HSDP are low in price on second market.Works well with PCIe Adapater in current hardwardware. Run it aince years with Intel and AMD boards with Windows 10/11. It is kind of mod. But the price and no issues beside that RME ARC has issues with sleep..

ideny wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:45 am A soundcard like a mentioned RME gives youtypically 10% more headroom when the CPU is under high load. RME PCI HSDP are low in price on second market.Works well with PCIe Adapater in current hardwardware. Run it aince years with Intel and AMD boards with Windows 10/11. It is kind of mod. But the price and no issues beside that RME ARC has issues with sleep..
Which adapter you are using?
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:24 pm Yup. Despite the fact that the OP is asking about a CPU, the soundcard is where to start when it comes to latency.
But as we know the thread opener to not really what they need to archive what they want.
The subject of thhread goes in that direction and I consider the costs. Why spendding $500 when less is enough, based in Europe so don't know the costs on the other sideon the pond,

- Cheapest:
Get a RME HSDP with and mod it wioth current hardware, only for experienced techniocal user. If you need the 15 pin you need some holes in a case. With the dapater it might by ~ 150€ in Europ.
I used this one and it works fine since 2024 on Inel 8th Board and now in an AM5.: StarTech.com PCI Express Schnittstellenkarte für PCI Low Profile Adapter Karte - 1 x PCI-e (Stecker) 1 x PCI (Buchse)
Only problem is that the RME ARC I am connected as remote control prenvents Windows to go to sleep.

This can help if you want to close a project, have no budjet, but are bit have slight overlaoded.
The drivers from RME or, probably as well Motu help when CPU is under stess, as they respond faster as any 200 Euro sound card.

- Replace an 2400G with a 5800X and get a cheap used GPU, maybe from a frind.
300? Update Bios , might require a new power supply.

- AM5 current Intel
This may provide 30 -50 % more CPU as as the 58003XD 3, but more has the double of the costs as it requires to chnage Mainborard and RAM, whilst sayves cost for a GPU.

For anyone which is on AM4 best way is to go for a 5800X3D, check for Bios updates and Support and when this is not working anymore, go to whatever is current.

I made the move to from an Intel 8086K to an AMD 7700X, it gave me more as 120% more CPU headroom, it was worth a value.

Happy Sunday, not writing that often, as if I do it tends up to be typically more text. As I am not only considering a single point of view.

davidka wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:25 pm Thanks all, but my M2 is here to stay.
I would like to maximize what I can from this budget and not buy some CPU which architecturally forbids to utilise my USB interface to the max.
I currently have a 2400G Ryzen, which is surprisingly usable, but it is getting old now, and for video, the Vega won't make it.
What is your motherboard? as noted here:
update the Bios for support of the CPU
You should be able to squeeze at least several more years out of your present mobo, even if it is a (most) 300 or 400 series. What speed and how much RAM do you have?

For video I'd recommend at least 16GB@3200, preferably 32GB@3200 (2x16GB sticks)

My current main production machine is an AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (about half the price of the 5800X3D) with a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.C CPU Air Cooler, Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 64GB (2x32GB) 3200MHz CL16, an RTX 3060 V2, numerous NVME's/SSDs, on an ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PRO mobo.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Thank you all I really appreciate your answers!

MSI AM4 B450M Pro-M2 is my current mobo. Based on your input I will also explore upgrading. These ideas are helping me a great deal. I updated my Bios last year.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”