Which video player do people use?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We have 3, standard, Xjadeo & FFmpeg. I don't want to support 3 going forward, would anybody be mad if I deleted standard and Xjadeo?

FFmpeg here (Ubuntu 24.04 and Windows 11)

I won't be mad :)
Give yourself the opportunity to discover something.

use vlc, its the most popular

ffmpeg is currently one of the most popular and frequently used projects. Perhaps in this regard it is worth focusing on him.
fredliau41 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:56 pm use vlc, its the most popular
VLC=FFmpeg :ud:

FFmpeg !

It is a huge, widely adopted, major project, in use almost everywhere where video is involved nowadys.
Xjadeo is know to me ony from Waveform and for the user does not show any apparent advantage over FFmpeg - actually the opposite is true according to my experience.
Standard Player is unknown for me, it does not launch on my system.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

I only ever use FFmpeg.

FFmpeg, I also don't use standard/Xjadeo.

I've never managed to get Waveform (or Tracktion) to show a movie file. I looked at instructions for installing ffmpeg (on Windows) and it didn't look fun. As someone suggested that VLC (which I've used for years, especially after discovering other options came from dodgy places) uses ffmpeg, I've checked to see if I already have it installed.

I have, on my main drive alone, seventeen ffmpeg.dll files in fifteen different sizes. I note that these could have been compiled by fifteen organisations using different compilers (and they may have tweaked them, so they might not represent 15 different versions). I note the existence also of ffmpeg.exe (5 files in 3 sizes) and a selection of other .dll files possibly incorporating the name of the organisation or software they arrived with.

With that many already supposedly doing a job for me, do I need to tell Waveform where to find one of these files? Or does it need more than one? Thanks in advance.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

@jabe on Windows OS , Waveform supplies it's own version of FFmpeg, so essentially this should/will be chosen as the 1st choice for default player, meaning that it will still run regardless if you have FFmpeg on the system or not. I'm not overly familiar with the Win OS, but Linux works this way ( most of the time afaik )

Screenshot from 2024-04-08 22-37-39.png
You could maybe try symlinking from the ffmpeg.exe + ffprobe.exe in Waveforms directory to another on your system ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikoatkvr wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:41 pm @jabe on Windows OS , Waveform supplies it's own version of FFmpeg, so essentially this should/will be chosen as the 1st choice for default player, meaning that it will still run regardless if you have FFmpeg on the system or not. I'm not overly familiar with the Win OS, but Linux works this way ( most of the time afaik )

* Screenshot from 2024-04-08 22-37-39.png

You could maybe try symlinking from the ffmpeg.exe + ffprobe.exe in Waveforms directory to another on your system ?
Interesting. Thank you for your reply. I'll investigate further. I was thinking I might use one of the Sysinternals utilities to see what files are opened when using Waveform and, particularly, when aiming to get a clip window running.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

FFmpeg
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

FFmpeg

Return to “Tracktion”