Krotos Studio Subscription worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, there is this humble bundle deal and i saw it contains 3 months free subscription, you do your wooshes and other sound FX i just installed the free version and so far it is of course very limited but i dunno how good it is. i can do a lot with just throwing samples in my DAW and automate things. im thinking about using the subscription and designing some sounds, but is Krotos Studio somehow unique in creating sounds or as i said you can do this in throwing samples in your daw / sampler and are having similiar results? thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Its fairly unique for its method of playing those sounds. The sounds themselves arent specifically unique, they're pretty typical of the stock foley-type sounds and sound effects you'd use as per film, tv, game type situations, but they're not static samples as you would generally find, Studio lets you control them in realtime with your mouse, so gets you a wee bit closer to the dynamics of an actual foley performance, and work quickly in doing so. And what you're controlling is a bit more tailored to how you'd want to 'perform' those sounds than if you were automating stuff in a DAW, IMO. Its certainly faster than doing it in the DAW or another sampler.

Basically I see it as a limited/focussed alternative to their Reformer package (which also allows articulation of samples) based on a subscription model and an ever-increasing library of available sounds. Great for someone just starting in film audio or whatever, or someone a deadline, or just blocking out a draft or whatever.

I dont have a sub, its not worth it for me as Im not doing that kind of work, but if I did, I'd get it even for the library access. I dont see most of the content as being that useful for music production, though I do have a 'paid fixed content' version they did briefly before they changed to a sub, and I'd probably buy some more stuff if they'd kept an option for buying new content selectively, but I also have Reformer Pro anyway.
For the Humble price, you're getting a 60Gb sound effects library too, so if you're after those kinds of sounds, its a no-brainer to play with Studio for 3 months as well. I already have their Starter Library, and both versions of Concept but the 50Gb Fundamentals library for £20 is too good to pass on for me. If £20 is too rich for your blood though, and all you want is a shitload of random samples and you're prepared to dig a bit through a few hundred Gb of files, pick up the free Sonniss GDC stuff instead.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:42 am Its fairly unique for its method of playing those sounds. The sounds themselves arent specifically unique, they're pretty typical of the stock foley-type sounds and sound effects you'd use as per film, tv, game type situations, but they're not static samples as you would generally find, Studio lets you control them in realtime with your mouse, so gets you a wee bit closer to the dynamics of an actual foley performance, and work quickly in doing so.

Basically its a limited/focussed alternative to their Reformer package (which also allows articulation of samples) based on a subscription model and an ever-increasing library of available sounds. Great for someone just starting in film audio or whatever, or someone a deadline, or just blocking out a draft or whatever.

I dont have a sub, its not worth it for me as Im not doing that kind of work, but if I did, I'd get it even for the library access. I dont see most of the content as being that useful for music production, though I do have a 'paid fixed content' version they did briefly before they changed to a sub, and I'd probably buy some more stuff if they'd kept an option for buying new content selectively, but I also have Reformer Pro anyway.
For the Humble price, you're getting a 60Gb sound effects library too, so if you're after those kinds of sounds, its a no-brainer to play with Studio for 3 months as well. I already have their Starter Library, and both versions of Concept but the 50Gb Fundamentals library for £20 is too good to pass on for me. If £20 is too rich for your blood though, and all you want is a shitload of random samples and you're prepared to dig a bit through a few hundred Gb of files, pick up the free Sonniss GDC stuff instead.
thanks so much for this extensive reply :tu:
yeah i got the 3 months subscription code and i thought about either giving it away or trying the full library and make some wooshes and noises as i see it records the movement asap and you can have it as a WAV instantly. so maybe im gonna use it myself and create within these 3 months some gigabytes of sounds :D. it says royalty free, so i should be able to use it after subscription as well afaik. so yeah the 50gb samples are already a lot.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

No problem. I edited the first paragraph a wee bit, if you missed it. Added my thoughts on trying to achieve the same thing in a DAW.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:49 am No problem. I edited the first paragraph a wee bit, if you missed it. Added my thoughts on trying to achieve the same thing in a DAW.
i see, yes it reminds me of some kontakt instruments or good old Alchemy (Windows) with a XY Pad. pretty nice. i need to check if you can replace samples in the full version/subscription version as each scene is differently setup. but yes you are right, ok i definitely will use the 3 months :tu:
guess i will never use these sounds but who knows im gonna create some more wooshes now ;D

Caine123 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 am i need to check if you can replace samples in the full version/subscription version as each scene is differently setup.
if you mean use your own samples, not currently, though they seem to suggest that they'll add it in future.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:12 am
Caine123 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 am i need to check if you can replace samples in the full version/subscription version as each scene is differently setup.
if you mean use your own samples, not currently, though they seem to suggest that they'll add it in future.
ahhhh ok, i think thats the typical pr blabla, cause i asked them about this for their plugins (i cannot remember whcih one anymore, i think weaponizer or so) they said they are planning it, but when i demo'ed it it seemd to import user samples. but i can be wrong atm. need to check my old mail.

Return to “Instruments”