What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

syntonica wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:48 am
Gam456 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:13 am
kevinsparks wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 am I've seen a few suggestions for Icarus. An older version is available for free with Computer Music magazine

https://www.zinio.com/computer-music/ja ... 24-i619472

You can probably get it with a Readly subscription as well.
I suggest to not acquire any synth from Tone2, They won't release any new product or new version anymore.
Markus has already started that he will continue to support all of his plugins for bug fixes and maintenance updates. I'm unsure what more features you could did from Icarus or Elektra.
Look Rapid, one bug fix per year, and people are complaining about a lack of major features.
Some brands are slow in dev, like Omnisphere, it's been 8 years since they released v2
But we know a V3 is coming... some day :D

Hard disagree about Falcon having a terrible library.

I think UVI's soundware is among the best.

Hard agree on Falcon being too convoluted for a main workhorse.

Avenger is a great workhorse because, although it has a bit of a learning curve, once it clicks it's very easy to get around.

It's extremely powerful and covers a huge amount of sonic territory.

The soundware does seem tilted towards EDM/Dance/Techno but it's more than capable of anything.

Then there's always Kontakt. In terms of libraries and breadth of choice nothing really comes close. Even Omnisphere.

It's a pretty divisive product due to NI's minimal efforts at keeping it updated but in fairness omnisphere isn't exactly the most updated synth in history.

Gam456 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:24 pm Some brands are slow in dev, like Omnisphere, it's been 8 years since they released v2
It's true Spectrasonics can be glacially slow in development, but it's misleading to say it's been 8 years since v2 as if nothing has happened since. We're now at 2.8.6 and that's had a gazillion feature updates since 2.0.

Also we don't know if v3 is coming some day, even though it's a widespread KVR assumption. I'm happy for them to keep updating v2!

This thread does show that Omni really doesn't have a serious competitor. I liked the Korg Wavestate suggestion someone made here, that feels like the closest anyone's got on a budget (though needs a half-price sale even then).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

kraster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:41 pm Hard disagree about Falcon having a terrible library.

I think UVI's soundware is among the best.

Hard agree on Falcon being too convoluted for a main workhorse.

Avenger is a great workhorse because, although it has a bit of a learning curve, once it clicks it's very easy to get around.

It's extremely powerful and covers a huge amount of sonic territory.

The soundware does seem tilted towards EDM/Dance/Techno but it's more than capable of anything.

Then there's always Kontakt. In terms of libraries and breadth of choice nothing really comes close. Even Omnisphere.

It's a pretty divisive product due to NI's minimal efforts at keeping it updated but in fairness omnisphere isn't exactly the most updated synth in history.
I didn't notice a comment that Falcon has a bad library (or did i miss it), just that the factory library doesn't compare to Omnisphere. One would have to buy quite a few UVI soundsets to compare. I do think UVI has high quality libraries for sale. Kontakt doesn't compare because a. it doesn't have a factory library anywhere near like Omnispere and b. it's synthesis functions don't compare. I have seen a few really detailed Kontakt instruments but not like Omni. c. it's usability isn't as smooth as Omnisphere.

Maybe this is turning into a favorite synth thread, Rapid, Vital, Surge, Hive, Massive X, nah, Great stuff, not like Omnisphere with it's detailed sample library and patches. I'm not familiar with Avenger, is it on par with Omni as being s workhorse? The synthesis? and the factory library?
harddaysnight: What's it for? What sort of music do you make?

Can't really make any suggestions without knowing this.
I don't see how this matters that much. The idea of a "workhorse synth" means it can cover many bases, like Omnisphere, and i think Halion 7. Perhaps with the more limited sample based synths (non workhorse). The synth part doesn't matter much, a synth is a synth.

Omnisphere's main selling point is the sample library. The synth section is quite good but there's plenty of competition. imo of course.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Maybe subscribing to Roland Cloud for a month is the least painful option. You get to play with some classic Roland stuff and if you decide you don't like them, then you can unsubscribe. Least damage done.

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/about_ ... embership/
Ultimate
$199/Year
(annual membership saves 17%)
$19.99/month

Access all software instruments and sounds.
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

Avenger is on sale Thomann's.

Synthmaster 3 is available as beta now, and there's Icarus 3 also.

egbert101 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:29 pm Maybe subscribing to Roland Cloud for a month is the least painful option. You get to play with some classic Roland stuff and if you decide you don't like them, then you can unsubscribe. Least damage done.

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/about_ ... embership/
Ultimate
$199/Year
(annual membership saves 17%)
$19.99/month

Access all software instruments and sounds.
They also have a 3 month deal:

https://www.rolandcloud.com/news/get-3- ... -49-99-usd

I had and sold Omnisphere because I never really used it as I preferred other synths not so reliant on presets. I also sold Diva due to disuse. I don’t miss either and have zero regrets selling.

What’s most important is getting synths you love to hear and love to work with. If those are Omni and Diva, go for it.

I had a similar mentality: get a couple of the best and most flexible workhorse synths (had and sold Pigments, too). But it turns out I don’t like working with them and didn’t really love how they sounded, either. I’ve ended up with a different set of synths that make me happy. I hope you find the ones that make you happy.

Examigan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:36 pm Avenger is on sale Thomann's.
Good spot - £117 makes it a serious contender for the OP I'd have thought.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:48 pm
Gam456 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:24 pm Some brands are slow in dev, like Omnisphere, it's been 8 years since they released v2
It's true Spectrasonics can be glacially slow in development, but it's misleading to say it's been 8 years since v2 as if nothing has happened since. We're now at 2.8.6 and that's had a gazillion feature updates since 2.0.

Also we don't know if v3 is coming some day, even though it's a widespread KVR assumption. I'm happy for them to keep updating v2!

This thread does show that Omni really doesn't have a serious competitor. I liked the Korg Wavestate suggestion someone made here, that feels like the closest anyone's got on a budget (though needs a half-price sale even then).
Indeed there is a big step between v2 and v2.86
More layer, arp has been revamp, new granular, more lfo, clener UI etc...
At some point you they reach v3 :D
It doesn't mean a big step

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:09 pm
Omnisphere's main selling point is the sample library. The synth section is quite good but there's plenty of competition. imo of course.
I disagreed. Onmisphere is not Atmosphere (only based on sample) anymore . The hardware integration and library is something unique.

There is not so much competitor. In a way Falcon, Halion and Melda SoundFactory. May be Rapid

But again, there is nothing like Onmisphere. That's why after so many years it still a number one choice for many professional (look the insane credit) and never goes on sales.
Last edited by Gam456 on Wed May 01, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Without spending too much time here, I would say Pigments, ANA 2 with slate street bundle subscription, or synthmaster 2 or 3 when it comes out, all cheap and in the future will most likely utilize samples when more banks come out to make sounds similar to Omnisphere.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:26 pm Do Spectrasonics offer a rent-to-own plan?

Don't find anything on their website.
Spectrasonics doesn't but some resellers have some options. Not rent-to-own in the Serum/Splice sense but more like instant loans with payment plans. Musician's Friend does that. Sweetwater has a deal for 36 month financing at $14/month (not having read fine print). If that's the case, $504 over $479 retail means $25 interest or 5.2%.

I think the only real alternatives would be halion and Falcon, for the variety of synthesis modes including granular and a large sample library with extensions. I don't like the workflow of either but I also don't like thebsound of falcons synth modules. Halion sounds great. Omni is way easier to swap out multisamples within a patch though and just easier in general to work with.

Others that are somewhat similar but less sample content (but allow multisamples) would be Roli Equator 2, Rob Papen Blue 3 and Sonic Academy Ana 2. Maybe Nexus is another one?

Then there's pigments and Current which are even less about multisamples but still hybrid synth/samples with granular.

Actually given how many sfz libraries there are, Roli Equator is not a bad option as a replacement for omnisphere, and of course with much better mpe support.

yellowmix wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:50 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:26 pm Do Spectrasonics offer a rent-to-own plan?

Don't find anything on their website.
Spectrasonics doesn't but some resellers have some options. Not rent-to-own in the Serum/Splice sense but more like instant loans with payment plans. Musician's Friend does that. Sweetwater has a deal for 36 month financing at $14/month (not having read fine print). If that's the case, $504 over $479 retail means $25 interest or 5.2%.
Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea, if it has to be Omisphere.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:34 pm Sounds like a good idea, if it has to be Omisphere.
If a person is not opposed to Musician's Friend (owned by Guitar Center). They have a rewards program, and I was able to use those points on Omnisphere as well as Keyscape. Only way to get a discount. With Keyscape managed to get a MIDI keyboard with it too. Build points when they offer double points like right now on accessories (if you need cables or whatever).

Return to “Instruments”