2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:33 pm Screenshot_20240502_193224_Gallery.jpg

bask in my awesomeness!!!
McLilith wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:31 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:17 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:14 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:54 pm and now for something completely different

https://youtu.be/kKcyvpB3ol8?si=1woQJYSB7qLUlYCW
I watched that one yesterday, but kept thinking it’s a lot of hp for similar sounding effects. I think they’re too close to each other be significantly different.

I think you could make a better Error Garden with multiple wired piezo pickups attached to different noisemakers. Lullaby makes it seem like it’d be very easy to make.
true, i already started a noise box thing with springs and bits, but being borderline adhd managed to drill two holes, attach one spring, then started recording it :lol:
You took the engineering term "rapid prototyping" to a new level! :hihi:
If you don't tell anyone that it's just the one spring, it will be very impressive!

i bought a big box of springs.
and some steel rods and a new violin bow :hihi:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:08 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:45 am I wouldn't mind adding VCV and then selling off Hector. They added Midi Thing Bridge at the 10-minute mark, and it looks too easy (in a good way).
It’s a shame this can’t handle audio because otherwise it could be the perfect vcv to modular (and potentially back) solution.
Audio over USB and configurable i/o would seem the perfect place for it to exist (in Midi Thing 2). Likely a different price point, but damn, that would be pretty killer.

vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:33 pm Screenshot_20240502_193224_Gallery.jpg

McLilith wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:31 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:17 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:14 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:54 pm and now for something completely different

https://youtu.be/kKcyvpB3ol8?si=1woQJYSB7qLUlYCW
I watched that one yesterday, but kept thinking it’s a lot of hp for similar sounding effects. I think they’re too close to each other be significantly different.

I think you could make a better Error Garden with multiple wired piezo pickups attached to different noisemakers. Lullaby makes it seem like it’d be very easy to make.
true, i already started a noise box thing with springs and bits, but being borderline adhd managed to drill two holes, attach one spring, then started recording it :lol:
You took the engineering term "rapid prototyping" to a new level! :hihi:
That's rad! Wood is a great medium for conducting vibrations. I've been attaching springs and guitar strings to my DIY shaker boxes (which are literally a mint tin, with a piezo, a 3.5mm jack and some rocks or srews inside) and it makes a great and semi-flexible sound source.

Also try hook-and-loop/velcro. I put hook side of really heavy velcro on the opposite side of a surface to which the piezo is attached and the loop side of the velcro on a small piece of wood or a round handle. The sound of the velcro pulling apart, through effects/amp can be really awesome. You can also scratch the vecro with your fingers or whatever for a more granular sound.

I've also been playing with ideas around using sympathetic resonators (taught strings) and surface transducers, for making weird reverbs. It'll all be covered in my feedback video series... if I ever get around to finishing it. :oops:
Last edited by justin3am on Thu May 02, 2024 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 pm
That's rad!
started it about 6 months ago :lol: :oops:
Wood is a great medium for conducting vibrations. I've been attaching springs and guitar strings to my DIY shaker boxes (which are literally a mint tin, with a piezo, a 3.5mm jack and some rocks or srews inside) and it makes a great and semi-flexible sound source.
yeah there was plans for a guitar string stretched out, as well as a something similar to that error garden, with some different length and gauged strings, arranged like a bush :hihi:
Also try hook-and-loop/velcro. I put hook side of really heavy velcro on the opposite side of a surface to which the piezo is attached and the loop side of the velcro on a piece of wood or a round handle. The sound of the velcro pulling apart, through effects/amp can be really awesome. You can also scratch the vecro with your fingers or whatever for a more granular sound.
ooh i hadnt thought of velcro, but i did think of a few different grades of sandpaper and a piece of a coke can, about 6 x 6 inches, saw some interesting things done with that on youtube.
all the ideas ive nicked tbh :hihi:
I've also been playing with ideas around using sympathetic resonators (taught strings) and surface transducers, for making weird reverbs. It'll all be covered in my feedback video series... if I ever get around to finishing it. :oops:
i look forward to it, especially interested in sympathetic resonances 8)

justin3am wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 pm I've also been playing with ideas around using sympathetic resonators (taught strings) and surface transducers, for making weird reverbs. It'll all be covered in my feedback video series... if I ever get around to finishing it. :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeYvWR8XfCc

vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:11 pm
Ditto! :tu: :party:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:22 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:11 pm
Ditto! :tu: :party:
Another one here looking forward to it! :party:

Would love a new PRS guitar. Not sure which on though.

justin3am wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 pm That's rad! Wood is a great medium for conducting vibrations. I've been attaching springs and guitar strings to my DIY shaker boxes (which are literally a mint tin, with a piezo, a 3.5mm jack and some rocks or srews inside) and it makes a great and semi-flexible sound source.
This is the noisebox I posted about in DIY forum a while back. Now also has a spring reverb tank inside, 'tines' from a cut up egg slicer, and some earthing bars for kalimba-esque rods etc, got a couple of other similar things either built or ongoing.

Stuff like that is why I have 3 Mikrophonies, basically.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:06 am
Stuff like that is why I have 3 Mikrophonies, basically.

That's great! I think I remember seeing that in the DIY section.

Mikrophonie is great, I have two myself. I've started using some of these https://www.tritonaudio.com/product/bigamp-piezo/ when I'm not working with the modular but I'm just as likely to plug directly into a pedal that has a decent amount of gain. There is some high end roll off in that case but most of the time I'm not looking for full spectrum anyway.

that's what id hoped mine would look more like!
maybe one day... :hihi:

my make noise performance utility modules, arrive tomorrow :party:
providing im up! :o

vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:33 pm Image

Minimalism at its finest! :love:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Super exciting I know, but I bought some vented blank panels from Setonix. My case gets on the warm side at times, and replacing Shapeshifter with Algo means rearranging a bit, so I figured some ventilation would be good. My previous DIY 4HP ventilation panels were pretty rough.

Rough map of the old arrangement:

ALM / XAOC
misc / Mutable
IME / misc / Make Noise
Noise Eng / Intellijel

And the new:

VCOs
VCFs / VCOs
VCAs / utils / modulation
FX / utils / FX / controllers

I'm thinking I should try building a noise box of my own...

However, I don't own a violin or cello bow, and those are commonly used with a noisebox. I have no idea how to pick out a suitable bow. Maybe it doesn't really matter which one I pick for this particular application? Since I'm not pairing this with a fine violin or cello, maybe I should just get the cheapest bow I can find, no matter what the type? :shrug:

Does anyone have bow suggestions or tips? :)
Last edited by McLilith on Fri May 03, 2024 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”