Sample Logic releases ultraSPHERE - first virtual instrument engine in 18-year company history

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Slightly derivative name eh?

Atmosphere -> Omnisphere... Ultrasphere?

I agree, this feels like a $99 MAX sampler. Sample library size just isn’t the deciding criteria.

I always feel like SL products are at least three to five times overpriced. Perhaps I don’t see the unique selling point, the website is not helpful in that regard. It seems to be just a sample player with 4 sources, 10 mod sources, filters and effects, right?

Are there multi samples? Velocity layers? Anything special about the sample playback? Are the fx anything above and beyond Kontakt, Falcon, Omnisphere, Halion? Is there any scripting? Are there any forms of synthesis? I see FM, but what does that actually do? FM between two samples? Even Pigments seems to offer the same kind of results with two sample players?

If you compare it to Soundpaint, that has extremely high performance in loading and playback. It has incredible morphing of velocity layers with results which FEEL good to play and sound very natural. User sample support. Very fast workflow for modulation. FX WAY above the norm. A history of regular updates and stability. And it’s free to enter and has very affordably priced libraries.

So where does this product fit in the landscape? Why should it be priced on top? To me, it seems that steep discounts are priced in from the start.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Just guessing this will be 50% off at some point, and that’s likely why they charge what they do, which is no different than their other libraries.

Interesting that seemingly more longtime developers of Kontakt libraries are moving on from the format.

Return to “Instruments”