Bass Studio - New DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mhept wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:08 pm I made it closed source again.
Maybe change the title and fix the links then? The thread title says it's open source and you've got a bunch of 404 links to GitHub in your top post now.

mhept wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:08 pm I made it closed source again.
Interesting!

I would like to know the reasons that led you to back down and
leave the "open source" community again. :?:

What made you take this step?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Just go on the Discord and read back their messages, this developer is not very stable (Putting it politely)
Duh

This thread has more posts than there are on Discord, and I can’t get more info there. I cannot see anything which points to what you tried (and failed) to say politely, unless you mean that the github repository is unstable…; - )
It looks a bit like a DoA project, though on first sight it was interesting. Maybe the idea of open sourcing it was connected to too much expectations. It would have to compete with years in the making projects like Ardour and alike.

bungle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:56 pm Just go on the Discord and read back their messages, this developer is not very stable (Putting it politely)
I don't disagree
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:28 pm This thread has more posts than there are on Discord, and I can’t get more info there. I cannot see anything which points to what you tried (and failed) to say politely, unless you mean that the github repository is unstable…; - )
It looks a bit like a DoA project, though on first sight it was interesting. Maybe the idea of open sourcing it was connected to too much expectations. It would have to compete with years in the making projects like Ardour and alike.
I don't disagree

Actually I was hoping the project to lift off.
This didn't happen closed source. So I decided to "throw it away" and open source it.
I expected a lot more feedback, not even contributions.

Some ppl cloned it under MIT license. Maybe they can make something out of it.
In my current situation (which has not changed for quite a while) I see no way where I can bring this project forward.

mhept wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:08 pm Actually I was hoping the project to lift off.
This didn't happen closed source. So I decided to "throw it away" and open source it.
I expected a lot more feedback, not even contributions.

Some ppl cloned it under MIT license. Maybe they can make something out of it.
In my current situation (which has not changed for quite a while) I see no way where I can bring this project forward.
What kind of expectations do you have?
What do you mean by “lift off”?

Hmmm, a DAW like this is a complex matter. Everyone here at KVR works with
“their” DAW, which they know inside and out. And that's why a newcomer, a
completely new DAW - whether paid software or open source - will always
have a hard time breaking into an already saturated market. This means that
the initial response will in any case be small - and that as a developer you have
to stay on the ball for a long time.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I just released v0.6.2.
I also improved the website.

I just released v0.6.2: https://bass-studio.com/#release-v0.6.2

This really looks so promising - please don't let it die!

If you want/need feedback, I'll gladly help any way I can.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Lots of nice little feature being added
Amazon: why not use an alternative

mhept wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:49 pm I just released v0.6.2: https://bass-studio.com/#release-v0.6.2
Logo and Design are everything

Bass Studio isn’t a good Name
Spend time lying in bed thinking of a good Logo and Name , but thanks man im going to give this a try when i have some time looks cool

This doesn't seem to have a mixer. I've looked at all the screenshots and videos I could find but there's nothing. How can a DAW not have a mixer?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The version I just tried doesn't have anything apart from a CLI window flashing briefly, so I can't say if bass has a mixer or not, but I can say that Tracktion Waveform didn't have a mixer for a very long time so it can be done. I don't think I've ever actually used the mixer. All the controls you need are available on the track lanes; the mixer view exists just to shut grandpa up.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Is this really neccessary, both of you? Exaggerated positions are gonna lead to a heated discussions that almost invariably drag the thread down with them - not very nice.

No, it doesn't have a mixer right now. The product is at a rather early stage though, so it might get one at a later point. No, a mixer is not absolutely required, since - as pough correctly pointed out - if absolutely neccessary one can mix a whole song just using the track-controls.
However: a lot of people find this rather cumbersome, which is why just about the most requested feature in the history of Tracktion for many years was a dedicated mixer. It's a matter of preference, so for reasonable people there's really not much to discuss here.

One could nicely ask though - and I will:

Is it possible that Bass Studio might get a dedicated mixer at some point?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

pough wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:00 am the mixer view exists just to shut grandpa up.
:lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”