Contest May: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

skipscada wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:09 pm Stinky cheese and rats. I guess it could serve as a starting point for lyrics, but I struggle to see how it can be a useful theme for the music. There was (is) a soft synth called the Cheese Machine or something, and come to think of it one of the most famous distortion pedals of all times is called the RAT. Combine the two, and I can easily imagine that the music will stink. So yeah.

I think there are so Manny ways you can go here

donkey tugger wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 pm
skipscada wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:09 pm and come to think of it one of the most famous distortion pedals of all times is called the RAT.
Ee's no RAT, is Siberian hamster
Sounds nasty. I seem to remember someone dying of pestilence after eating a half-cooked one. The animal, not the pedal. Probably can't be bothered to download it since I've got Helix, which contains a good emulation, though with a less inspired name, Ratatouille.

Hellfog wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:35 am
skipscada wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:09 pm Stinky cheese and rats. I guess it could serve as a starting point for lyrics, but I struggle to see how it can be a useful theme for the music. There was (is) a soft synth called the Cheese Machine or something, and come to think of it one of the most famous distortion pedals of all times is called the RAT. Combine the two, and I can easily imagine that the music will stink. So yeah.

I think there are so Manny ways you can go here
Too many. No limitations --> indecision.

skipscada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:10 am
skipscada wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:09 pm and come to think of it one of the most famous distortion pedals of all times is called the RAT.
Sounds nasty. I seem to remember someone dying of pestilence after eating a half-cooked one. The animal, not the pedal. Probably can't be bothered to download it since I've got Helix, which contains a good emulation, though with a less inspired name, Ratatouille.
I just liked the Fawlty Tower reference;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khoJsN3nNzM

:D

Maybe I should start regularly asking start up hints from chatgpt

Code: Select all

Creating a musical piece that effectively conveys themes of uncleanliness, anxiety, disgust, and fear requires careful consideration of various elements such as melody, harmony, rhythm, instrumentation, and dynamics. Here's a structured approach to composing such a piece:

Choosing Instruments: Start by selecting instruments that evoke a sense of unease or discomfort. Instruments with harsh or dissonant timbres like distorted electric guitars, low brass, eerie synths, and percussion instruments such as drums or metallic objects can be effective.

Melody and Harmony:
        Melody: Craft a melody that is unsettling and dissonant, using intervals that create tension and unease.
        Harmony: Use dissonant chords and unconventional harmonies to evoke a feeling of anxiety and discomfort. Experiment with chromaticism, unresolved cadences, and ambiguous tonal centers to keep the listener on edge.

Rhythm and Tempo:
        Rhythm: Incorporate irregular rhythms, syncopation, and sudden changes in meter to create a sense of instability and unpredictability.
        Tempo: Consider a moderate to fast tempo to enhance the feeling of urgency and unease, but also incorporate moments of slowing down to build tension.

Dynamics and Articulation:
        Dynamics: Use a wide range of dynamics, from whisper-quiet to deafeningly loud, to create contrast and intensity. Sudden changes in dynamics can heighten the sense of fear and apprehension.
        Articulation: Experiment with staccato, marcato, and other articulations to add sharpness and aggression to the music.

Textural Variation:
        Layer different musical textures to create depth and complexity. Incorporate moments of sparse, minimalist textures juxtaposed with dense, chaotic passages to reflect the contrasting emotions of the piece.

Structural Development:
        Begin the piece with an unsettling introduction that establishes the mood and sets the tone for what's to come.
        Build tension gradually throughout the piece, using techniques such as rising chromatic lines, crescendos, and accelerandos.
        Incorporate moments of release and resolution, but ensure that they are fleeting and ultimately lead back into the sense of unease and discomfort.

Sound Effects and Techniques:
        Experiment with unconventional sound effects such as scraping, bowing on the bridge, prepared piano techniques, and electronic manipulation to create eerie and unsettling sounds.
        Utilize extended techniques on acoustic instruments to push the boundaries of their traditional sounds and evoke feelings of unease and fear.

Form and Structure:
        Consider a non-traditional form that allows for the exploration of different emotions and textures without adhering to a strict narrative or thematic development.
        Incorporate moments of contrast and surprise to keep the listener engaged and on edge.

By carefully considering these elements and experimenting with different combinations, you can create an instrumental piece of music that effectively expresses themes of uncleanliness, anxiety, disgust, and fear. Remember to trust your instincts and let the music guide you as you explore these complex emotions through sound.

donkey tugger wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:38 am
skipscada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:10 am
I just liked the Fawlty Tower reference;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khoJsN3nNzM

:D
Didn't catch the reference. How embarrassing. I know nothing, I'm from Barcelona (fact).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7CeTXoxyU

harvon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:27 pm Maybe I should start regularly asking start up hints from chatgpt
I would rather fail miserably than rely on 0s and 1s for creative input.

Oh my!

Despite it's name, the AI is not intelligent at the moment, but rather a way to retrieve existing human knowledge and experience akin to reading a book, and a way to perform some operations on it.

harvon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:00 pm Oh my!

Despite it's name, the AI is not intelligent at the moment, but rather a way to retrieve existing human knowledge and experience akin to reading a book, and a way to perform some operations on it.
In other words regurgitating received knowledge or opinion about something without adding a personal perspective. It's the opposite of creative. I guess in a small way I actually use some sort of AI for generating drum tracks (choosing and adjusting midi "in a human way" in EZDrummer3), and even that tends to drain my enthusiasm by making it feel less like my own creation.

skipscada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:02 pm
harvon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:27 pm Maybe I should start regularly asking start up hints from chatgpt
I would rather fail miserably than rely on 0s and 1s for creative input.
Human creativity works in binary.
The concept of machine language is derived from the human psyche. If you were to get a reading done by a vodoun practitioner (or any derivatives), the readings are all done using binary.

This is the one to use, and it's actually really good.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/triple-cheese-by-u-he

skipscada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:27 pm
harvon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:00 pm Oh my!

In other words regurgitating received knowledge or opinion about something without adding a personal perspective. It's the opposite of creative. I guess in a small way I actually use some sort of AI for generating drum tracks (choosing and adjusting midi "in a human way" in EZDrummer3), and even that tends to drain my enthusiasm by making it feel less like my own creation.
You didn't invent english language, nor the music scales, nor the conventions of harmony, nor the instruments you use, nor lots of this' or that's. Creativity is just regurgitating new combinations, arrangements etc of what you know.

Unless you believe that your brain operates in some mystical neverunderstandable way, does it matter if the combinations, arrangements etc are done by a brain or a computer?

RATS ; thinking of NYC subway system, so New York theme, trains.

Cheeze: garbage trucks comes to mind ; no sound :bang: idea there except making ending cheesy using excessive reverb

Combined; A Pied Piper song to lure rats out of train tunnels using garbage trucks smelling of cheese

:smack:
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

peppy197 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:49 pm RATS ; thinking of NYC subway system, so New York theme, trains.

Cheeze: garbage trucks comes to mind ; no sound :bang: idea there except making ending cheesy using excessive reverb

Combined; A Pied Piper song to lure rats out of train tunnels using garbage trucks smelling of cheese

:smack:
pizza rat!!! :party:

"And if you think you're unloved than we know about that"
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Music Cafe”