Not understanding compression fully (Logic Pro)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did anyone else imagine the inflatable boat as yellow?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

If you are getting pops or sudden loudness in your track, then try fixing the instrument patch first. Use key tracking in your filter if the higher notes are too loud (or not loud enough). If filter resonance is causing you problems, change the resonance setting or maybe try adding a tiny amount of attack to your filter and/or amp envelopes. You 'll be amazed how much you can play around with the patch without changing how it sounds in your mix. I could never imagine needing to compress a bassline.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This is a really good text about compression by Matthew Weiss.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/ ... on.352940/
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Use a compressor with a slow attack + fast release to even out the volume, then add a limiter (or another compressor with fast attack) to squash the peaks that got through with the slow attack, you should get what you want.

isuckatproducing wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:40 am
roman.i wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:35 am
isuckatproducing wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:31 am
roman.i wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:20 am You should first listen, then identify a problem, and think of a tool that can fix the problem.
Don't just slap the compressor for no reason.

Limiter is a better option than a compressor if you just need to chop some peaks.
In drums maybe a transient shaper (Logic's envelope shaper)
I'm not sure how env shaper is supposed to handle random "pops" in volume? I've struggled with them especially with ES2 synth, where it would sound stable and then suddenly boom +4DB peak.
Why it has pops in the first place? It shouldn't.
Try increasing buffer size in audio settings.
If this is the sound, then limiter is the better solution.
Don't remember as I'm not touching ES2 anymore.
Thanks for reminding me of "Logic's envelope shaper", I had plugins doing same thing which I just trashed, less is more. :D

Which limiter would you suggest for basses and similar synths, Adaptive Limiter or normal one?
Also I know every sound is different, but any starting point settings and what to look for?

I'm doing Techno so taming these peaks I believe is important to get a louder mix in the end.
On tracks - start with the simplest limiter with one knob. That one in the compressor. If doesn’t work, get one with more controls, the regular limiter.

If you're using Logic's stock compressor in Platinum Digital mode then click the Sidechain tab and make sure to have Peak rather than RMS selected. Also, reducing the Knee setting can help.

Return to “Effects”