is there a way to emulate the Kawai R-50 III processing?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i see some videos and which showcase the processed sound when importing samples into Kawai R-50 III. sounds pretty nice, is there a sampler which can recreate this?

thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Interesting subject. So the R-50 III can load user samples?

I haven't found much about this though. I assume it has the same engine as the original R-50.
24 waveforms at 12-bit, 32kHz resolution
Source: https://www.polynominal.com/sample-packs/kawai-r50/

But what gear did Kawai use to sample and process their stock sounds before loading them into the R-50?? And did the R-50 itself add to the sound (circuitry/effects)?

Which video(s) show the importing of samples?

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:30 pm Interesting subject. So the R-50 III can load user samples?

I haven't found much about this though. I assume it has the same engine as the original R-50.
24 waveforms at 12-bit, 32kHz resolution
Source: https://www.polynominal.com/sample-packs/kawai-r50/

But what gear did Kawai use to sample and process their stock sounds before loading them into the R-50?? And did the R-50 itself add to the sound (circuitry/effects)?

Which video(s) show the importing of samples?
thanks, hmmm i think i misunderstood it maybe, i need to re-watch the video more, i thought he might have imported also other sounds like the loops at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUePtj5Gs8
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Amigo Sampler probably the closest, especially now with 32kHz added:

https://www.potenzadsp.com/amigo/

Caine123 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:01 am i see some videos and which showcase the processed sound when importing samples into Kawai R-50 III. sounds pretty nice, is there a sampler which can recreate this?
I think you have things a bit turned around. That video shows someone talking about samples he recorded FROM the R50. He showed a baseline sample, and then compared that baseline sample tuned down with playing that same instrument tuned down on the R50. For whatever reason, tuning down on the R50 produces a very different result. (Frankly, the waveform doesn't look like a downtuned version of the original, so I'm a bit confused and perhaps a bit skeptical.)

In any case, this guy has sampled a lot of the sounds from the R50 so you could play it on any sampler -- he sampled each sound "normal" plus with lots of variations (because, allegedly those variations don't sound the same when you do it on a DAW or in a sample player.)

Now, if you want to find out how to get the same type of effect on other samples (say, your own drum samples), that'd be difficult to do, unless you had pretty deep knowledge of just what's going on inside the R50, and why downtuned samples don't sound like downtuned samples.

If you're just interested in the sounds he's getting, the best bet is to spend a few dollars and buy his sample pack.

PS: he's nuts to think that the "magic" is the old converters. Old converters don't do what he shows. But reasons don't matter, sounds do, so if you like the sounds, go for it.

What he says about the gate is spot on, though. You can do that two ways: put each instrument in its own track and apply a gate. Regarding the flanger, you'd use round robins to get closer to the sound of the R53 (and presumably that's what his sampleset does.)

Those ride cymbals sound really mechanical -- that is, lo-fi samples. Not my cuppa, but that's just a matter of taste.

Hmm, he doesn't mention any format, so apparently it's just samples -- you'd need to map it to some sample format like sfz to make it a useful MIDI-playable kit. Otherwise, you'd just drag samples in and build a rhythm track on your DAW, which I suppose is common.

TAL-Sampler and Maschine are also good at emulating old samplers/sample players.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”