Library/Production Ideas

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

since years I'm byting my teeth to produce beats like great house music producers e.g. MAW... Although I would say I have all the important drum hit libraries (almost all Superior/EZD, Kontakt Libraries e.g. Wave Alchemys Evolution, created my own Kontakt Libraries with downloaded samples: 50K Snaresounds, >30K Hats, Kicks, Claps...) I have no chance at all. I spend thousands of h learning from manuals: producing, programming, arranging. I would say I know all the common methods (sample pitching, layering, envelope shaping, distortion, bus processing,...)

Are there any suggestions with which kind of samples/tricks it's possible to produce a beat like this?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3eFVk3Llc

Would be really happy if someone has some experience with it. In the moment I'm at the point I think, that it's just not possible with commercial libraries. They record their owns. But I hope I'm wrong.

Cheers
Tom

I do not hear anything "special" as far the sounds go. There is sampled chord used, and then its more about the playing itself of vibraphone and the synths. Nice track as usual from Jazzanova.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

thanks for your answer. Have you ever done something like that? Perhaps I'm wrong but already the beat at the beginning (only the drums) I don'r know how I can reach such a quality/fullness... Can you give me any idea which sample library goes into this direction?

What I hear is more like a drum synth, that has no natural ambience like recorded acoustic drums has.
- and settings for muffle and pitch and decay to get the core sound dry enough.

And a good compressor used just right. I don't think 1176 style, some other compressor.
- most of snare is covered by sticks and hand clap type sounds.

Look at what you have, I don't think you need to look at different libraries necessarily.
- remove all effects and work with the dry stuff you have left
- no room mike, just close up mikes

To analyze I would make a really short loop in daw around snare itself and kick itself to see with an EQ where resonance frequencies are.

Thanks for your answer.

(the samples I have: they normally have no room sound).
I tried to analyze a lot of tracks, what I hear in my headphones: it has room sound, already the Kick has it (at least it has a long tail without "boom", you get an illusion of depth), but it's not washed out. If you use synthetic drums, it sounds like modern pop music or techno, upfront in the speaker (very unnatural with headphones). I think it's not possible to create such drums (only) in a drum synth. I guess it's a combination. Last 2 Days I spend 15h to create a Kick with a similar feel like in the track above. Small progress... At the End I cutted the tail of the Kick from the Track above and use it with my kick (for better room depth). Quite good can be e.g. for a punchy kick: use an normal Kick and the Superior Drummer to create the depth (with the recorded OH or Crosstalk of the Snare-Mic). Superior Hats/Snares are good too with small amount of OH... Some are punchy but with more natural depth than when you use Reverb on a dry hat.

With all of these very good produced tracks I hear: it has a quite natural depth (every sample, also when played alone), but it is not washed out (like if I use a Reverb or early reflections plugin). With headphones you hear it immediately. I realized also during the years: When a sample has no punch, you can use as many FX, if you don't want a completely distorted result, you will never get any punch out of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, never had any luck with no-punch-samples.

I guess I did some progress. I found this video, which is quite interesting. Actually nothing new, but not that common, that you put a reverb on the drum bus in this style of music (at least normally no one tells you):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRR1iH5EYkQ

I put this reverb not on the drum bus but seperately on kick, snare, hat-bus. In combination with samples that are not too short (if possible already with a natural sound) I had the best results. E.g. in combination with abbey road plate on kick. Believe it or not: it works not that bad. It seems that early housemusic producers also put plate (?) reverb on hats (e.g. from a drumcomputer). The art will be to create a room without any mud.

Return to “Production Techniques”