Korg Driver Utility did not remove midi driver cleanly, BSOD

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am familiar with the Korg USB midi drivers, where the synth (this was all for a Korg Minilogue) must appear in the 1st 10 midi devices recognized by Windows.

I uninstalled many from the Korg Driver Utility... big mistake. It does not remove the other 3rd party drivers cleanly and causes corruption for a couple.

Two drivers that were never properly reinstalled were the built in Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, which I use for Guitar Pro composition... and a very important M-Audio Midisport 4x4.

Within 5 seconds of plugging in my M-Audio Midisport 4x4, I get a BSOD crash.

system_thread_exception_not_handled
MAudioMIDISPORT.sys

I tried 4 times, and got 4 BSODs. If only I uninstalled that driver by it's own uninstaller instead of the Korg Utility, I am pretty sure this would have never happened.

I even uninstalled & reinstalled the M-Audio driver multiple times, as Admin and multiple compatibility settings, all to no avail.

Somehow, that utility must have left residual files or corrupted the registry.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or know exactly which file location/registry key that the Korg Utility tampers with?

I have tried for 2 years on and off the get the Microsoft GS Wavetable to work, but it does not. It shows up in the Device Manager, but never in any DAWs or midi compositional software like it used to.

The M-Audio on the other hand doesn't even show up in Device Manager (even after Showing Hidden Items).

How can I fix this issue?

I would re-install the Korg and M-Audio drivers (it doesn't matter if they don't work), and then use the free Revo Uninstaller to un-install them. When it asks which "Scanning mode" to use after the Korg (or M-Audio) install utility has done its own work, choose "Advanced". This will dig deeper into the Registry and search leftover files and folders for any entries tied to either driver. You could then use the free Glary Utilities to clean out any leftover Registry entries that are empty and any files no longer used by software.

You'll need to be careful with both of these, and you'll want to use them one at a time, after each driver un-install. Each app will give you a list of things it found that you can delete. I've never had Revo steer me wrong, but you can choose what you want to keep out of what each app suggests you delete. When each app does its job, it will offer to create a restore point or save the Registry settings its about to delete.

Once everything is removed, you can reboot your machine. Don't reboot until Revo has finished its job, even if the driver installer says you should. Revo won't be able to do a thorough scan if you reboot before it gets to run.

If you're still having problems after you reboot, you can use the Registry editor to look for "M-Audio" or "Korg" (or any keywords in the drivers' names) and delete the entries manually. You can also go into Device Manager to look for (and remove) any "unknown devices" or the specific Korg and M-Audio drivers (if they're listed). You may have to enable "Show hidden devices" (under the View menu) to see any leftover drivers.

Note that Glary Utilities also offers a driver uninstall option, but it's basically the same thing as deleting items from Device Manager manually. It also offers options to clean up junk in the Registry and any junk files you no longer need. And it will allow you to back up your Registry before you start making changes.

If you use either of these apps, make sure you use both of them again when you've finished to look for items that run on startup. Glary installs useful "auto-run" stuff, but it isn't necessary. Revo doesn't add anything, but it will find some things Glary doesn't, and vice-versa.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Ok thanks very much for all that information! I will give it a shot when I get a chance. Much appreciated!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”