How to get more than 16 channels in ProTools and Kontakt

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have BlueCat Patchwork Synth loaded in a track in ProTools.
I have Kontakt loaded in BlueCat.
As you can see from my photo, I'm only able to access 16 channels from a midi track output. Kontakt can handle many more midi channels.
I also tried loading Kontakt into another slot within BlueCat and assigning it to PORT B ... still no option within ProTools to route midi channels to anything other than ch1-16 (A).

How do I get more than 16 channels?
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.25.20 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The midi spec is 16 channels only.
"A MIDI link can carry sixteen independent channels, numbered 1–16. A device may listen to specific channels and ignore messages on other channels (omni off mode), or it can listen to all channels, effectively ignoring the channel address (omni on)."

I've never had Kontakt (or Reaktor) offer anything but 16 channels.

I use Patchworks all the time it can see 16 channels of MIDI since you are hosting Kontact inside of Patchworks all it can see is the 16 channels that are coming from Patchworks

Why don't you simply load up multiple instances of it on two or more tracks?

It's been 16 channels since inception because the way midi is received by your processor. I'm reading even just 16 stretches it to max. I'm reading the Midi 2.0 can handle a total of 256 channels. Somehow it splits the 16 channels into 16 seperate channels. (if I understand what I'm reading)

Return to “Instruments”