The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

dlandis wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:12 am Does anyone know how long the $79 upgrade price is good for?
Seeing as The Legend costs $99, and The Legend HZ costs $179, if the upgrade price is ever higher than $79 that would be pretty wacky.

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:08 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:02 pm Well, one problem with that "test" is that you just play a short note the whole time. Would be better if you held it. Even though there are already differences audible just with the short notes.
No, the test should expose which one "screams digital" no matter the length of the notes.

If you can't say which one screams digital after any test then it's obvious neither one does..... :wink:
No, you’re wrong. The tone of a VCO isn’t necessarily obvious on its own. It’s how it interacts with the other VCOs, the slight drift over time. It’s really about the behavior more than the naked sound of a sawtooth or something.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 amI think, if you have less than 5 synths, you may prefere Dune 3, for the very reason you are mentioning.
I realise that's a fairly arbitrary number but I'd point out that Gary Numan didn't need five different synths to make some of the most compelling electronic based music ever made (plus a load of shite to go with it), nor did he need anything even one-tenth as complicated as DUNE. The same would, I am sure, be true of the pioneers in many dance music sub-genres, too. People were able to make unbelievably good music with maybe 5% of the power and the tools we have available in our home computers today.

The One Synth Challenge proves, month after month, that you can make amazing music with just one synth, more often than not a really basic one, yet people persist with this absurd notion that you need to hoover up every plugin in creation in order to make any decent music. It's complete and utter bollocks, born of wilful self-deception.
If you have already quite a few synths, I really doubt that a "generalist synth" will be as appealing than Legend HZ which has a strong character.
Are you really able to be that clinical in your thinking about these things? I'm not. I buy things because they sound good. I don't think about how many other things I might already have that can do the same job, the decision to buy (or not buy) a particular synth is almost purely an emotional one for me. Legend HZ is a perfect example - I really f**king hate the sound of a Model D but, somehow, LHZ manages to transcend the limitations of the MiniMoog to become something I find myself wanting to use all the time. And, to be clear, I never use the MSEGs or the sequencer and I rarely f**k about with the mod matrix, it's purely about how much better it sounds to my ears. The extra oscillators make it easy to get a huge, unison-like sound without actually having to use unison, which makes it a polyphonic beast. You just have to have a light touch with the filter.
briefcasemanx wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 amDune doesn't do analog sounds all that well.
I don't understand what that really means. I can get great analogue sounds out of DUNE with minimal effort, just as I can get very digital sounds out of Legend. Yes, DUNE is able to sound very ultra-modern - clean and crisp - but that doesn't mean it has to sound like that.
Instead of replying to me, work on getting competent ears and or monitoring.
Or how about you take the time to learn how to use the tools you have?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

hey212 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 am
dlandis wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:12 am Does anyone know how long the $79 upgrade price is good for?
Seeing as The Legend costs $99, and The Legend HZ costs $179, if the upgrade price is ever higher than $79 that would be pretty wacky.
I agree with you (though I do think $79 is fair, as far as it goes)! OTOH, if there IS a time limit on it, I don't want to be caught unawares.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 am
Chris-S wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:21 pm Can Dune3 do FilterFM? Feedback? Buildup-Envelopes?
Yes, no, what’s a “buildup-envelope?”
Yeah this one strikes me as well. "buildup envelope" hahahaha. 2 years from now a synth is released and the KVR geniuses "Does it have a buildup envelope?"

I don't understand why people are so picky about the Dune vs this one. It's an entirely different workflow and feature set. Just a stupid debate.

As if someone is trying to convince me that two people are the same because both have two eyes therefore one is overlapping with the other and shouldn't exist or is less capable.

Can we not enjoy this release by Richard? If there are rare times to enjoy the amazing release then this is the one (so was Dune).

hey212 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 am
99 usd/eu? i remember when i bought it 8 years ago, it was 89 eu if i recall? i suppose price increase is logical due to inflation

This looks fantastic. X-Poly 1.5 next? 😇

Please no one quote me and start a dumb argument about how Dune is actually really great at analogish type sounds because it has such and such filter model, or because it's made by the same person that made Obsession and the Legend.
It's really good at analog sounds, so no argument here. It has way more options than any of their other offerings, which make its perfect for just about any analog sound.

Can't say I ever use the WT or Sample osc, not my thing.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 am Yes, no, what’s a “buildup-envelope?”
An envelope which does not reset to level zero for each new note.
These where typical for the old analog synths.

Chris-S wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 am Yes, no, what’s a “buildup-envelope?”
An envelope which does not reset to level zero for each new note.
These where typical for the old analog synths.
You are very confused. Pure gold.

seafire wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:41 am viewtopic.php?t=527184
I am not disputing the existence of this behavior of an envelope - I piss myself when he invented a new naming convention for this: "buildup envelope", sounds perfectly stupid for today.

And then presented it as some sort of missing feature in a sea of goodness while in fact, you can mimic this nowadays in several ways.

Sounds as stupid as when a guy says a reverb plugin is bad because it doesn't oversample.

I think the term build up is used because of the circuits don't fully discharge before a new note is pressed. The envs build up in volume? Something like that, can't remember the proper technicals. Legend does it I think.

seafire wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 am Legend does it I think.
As a proper MM emulation: of course.

Chris-S wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:09 am
seafire wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 am Legend does it I think.
As a proper MM emulation: of course.
Really?

Return to “Instruments”