The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

kmonkey wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:53 am
seafire wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:41 am viewtopic.php?t=527184
I am not disputing the existence of this behavior of an envelope - I piss myself when he invented a new naming convention for this: "buildup envelope", sounds perfectly stupid for today.
This is needlessly harsh.

As far as I know there isn't really a naming convention for it.

Some people call it an analog envelopes, non return to zero envelope or even a "singing envelope".

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:25 pm Ok here you go goal posts moved. 4 Bars of each:

Osc Comparison 2

Again the statement was "screams digital". If the statement was "sounds a little more digital" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hyperbole generates reactions.

Again there are differences but none so much that either one screams anything.
This is hilarious, and quietly has been skated over. I'll be straight - at my age I can't tell the slightest difference. I put the WAV into RX Spectral view, and clearly there IS a difference - I can SEE it even though it's subtle. And I don't know which is Dune and which is Legend.

But playing devil's advocate, maybe those differences get magnified by filters and modulations?

Even so, terms like "screams digital" seem ridiculous hyperbole to me. That's KVR, taking almost imperceptable differences and turning them into best / worst plugin ever. The Legend HZ looks and sounds terrific. I have Monark for purity and Diva for expanding on the old limits, and I reckon I'm all good.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:41 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:25 pm Ok here you go goal posts moved. 4 Bars of each:

Osc Comparison 2

Again the statement was "screams digital". If the statement was "sounds a little more digital" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hyperbole generates reactions.

This is hilarious, and quietly has been skated over. I'll be straight - at my age I can't tell the slightest difference. I put the WAV into RX Spectral view, and clearly there IS a difference - I can SEE it even though it's subtle. And I don't know which is Dune and which is Legend.

But playing devil's advocate, maybe those differences get magnified by filters and modulations?

Even so, terms like "screams digital" seem ridiculous hyperbole to me. That's KVR, taking almost imperceptable differences and turning them into best / worst plugin ever. The Legend HZ looks and sounds terrific. I have Monark for purity and Diva for expanding on the old limits, and I reckon I'm all good.

May be is better to say "it sound too stable".

I have quite a lot of analogue hardware synths in my studio and even with my old ears I can hear a difference between hardware and software 'live' and before processing, but very little once its is recorded and in a mix. Things either sound good in the context of your recording or they don't, hardware analogue synths often needs a lot of processing (compression, eq etc) to get it to sit in a mix with anything else....locking at things in isolation is a little bit pointless.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

kraster wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:13 am
I am not disputing the existence of this behavior of an envelope - I piss myself when he invented a new naming convention for this: "buildup envelope", sounds perfectly stupid for today.

As far as I know there isn't really a naming convention for it.

Some people call it an analog envelopes, non return to zero envelope or even a "singing envelope".
The naming for it is, indeed, non-RTZ or singing envelope or analogue envelope and fundamentally most vintage analogue mono synths behaved this way. I think most people who grew up with those synths consider RTZ envelopes in an analogue mono emulation incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2F6MhWIm4

The legend essentially has this modelled as it emulates the MM.

kraster wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:13 am
Well, it's "kmonkey", so.

I often tried to replace my legend track with my Moog sub37 and Matriarch, but in most cases I kept the Legend in the song.

Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:05 pm Whether that range is needed by the end user or not is up to the individual.
I think, if you have less than 5 synths, you may prefere Dune 3, for the very reason you are mentioning.
I own dozens of top tier synths including Avenger 2 which is more feature rich than DUNE 3 but I still prefer DUNE's core sound. It is my go to synth for many duties including analog style patches. Avenger 2 is not far behind and has become one of my favorite synths to patch.
Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 amIf you have already quite a few synths, I really doubt that a "generalist synth" will be as appealing than Legend HZ which has a strong character.
All the synths I use on a daily basis have strong character which is why I own them in the first place. Legend HZ is a great synth but will likely never get used in a project here. It will reside in a folder I call "museum" along with all the other simple analog synths. Sometimes I'll take one off the shelf, dust it off, and have a patch and play session but they rarely if ever get used in a project.
Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 ambut the point is that you don't need 100 of generalist synths.
But do you need 100 different analog emulations that all have the same range of sounds?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:39 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:08 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:02 pm Well, one problem with that "test" is that you just play a short note the whole time. Would be better if you held it. Even though there are already differences audible just with the short notes.
No, the test should expose which one "screams digital" no matter the length of the notes.

If you can't say which one screams digital after any test then it's obvious neither one does..... :wink:
No, you’re wrong. The tone of a VCO isn’t necessarily obvious on its own. It’s how it interacts with the other VCOs, the slight drift over time. It’s really about the behavior more than the naked sound of a sawtooth or something.
No, you can't move the goal posts now. You said:
zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:39 amDune 3 is fantastic, but the oscillators scream “digital,” even if you employ some tricks.
That statement is incorrect and you simply can't prove otherwise. The hundreds of lush analog style patches I've made for DUNE 3 prove to me that nothing about it "screams digital" when properly programmed.

Never confuse "you can't" with "it can't". :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:41 am

Osc Comparison 2

Yes as I said there is a difference no matter how minute. Of course the filters etc are going to make a difference in the final sound but as you say "screams digital" seems ridiculous hyperbole to me especially since I've made so many very pleasing analog patches for DUNE 3.

That's why I pushed back against such a nonsensical assertion as "screams digital". :shrug:

Don't let nonsensical assertions ruin your enjoyment of KVR. Otherwise, you'd be miserable here... ;)

Legend says that Jean-Michel Jarre had to tune his Minimoog on stage for half an hour once. Try that with digital. ;)

Well, I guess you could even implement that behavior. But, that's not really that desirable.

Amazing times we live in when a virtual instrument of this quality can find its way in the hands of producers.
I have to say Richard has cemented himself as a top tier developer.

I agree with the above comments 💯, but where are the Jean-Michel Jarres in this World of perfect and accessible tools?

audiouser720 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:19 pm I agree with the above comments 💯, but where are the Jean-Michel Jarres in this World of perfect and accessible tools?
They are right beside you in a parallel universe.
You can't see them or hear them ...decoherence.

Return to “Instruments”