UVI Percussion Factory released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Percussion Factory

A resurrection of sorts...
After a month of use, Percussion Factory has some utility to be sure but also is a let down considering what is amiss.
The bug with Cantabile has still not been resolved but there are workarounds which I've posted on the Cantabile forum.
Dropping in your own samples is fun and you can get experimental by using pitched samples, such as a scale of notes of the same voice, and you can come up with some melodies that way. This is nothing new of course but the decimate feature does make for quick variations. I find short samples that are edited before hand with the tails either quick or long as desired is easier to work with.
You can have a single note or a rhythm pattern hold by adjusting the amp envelope with the sound parameters for an infinite sustain - you only need the first note of a sequence for that. This way you can take an existing drum loop, place it on one sequence track and have it loop perfectly while you develop other percussion instruments to go along with it.
Unfortunately you cannot save a custom sound setting, you can only save all sounds with sequences or sequences by themselves. The ability to copy and paste sound settings between instruments would be very useful.
MIDI output is a letdown. UVI apparently cannot output MIDI directly from UVI Workstation. This is a big plus for UJAM products - mind you, I have lots of UVI libraries and lots of UJAM libraries, with little buyers' remorse.
Percussion Factory will generate a two bar MIDI sequence that you can drag onto your daw... but guess what - it doesn't include any of the skip/chance settings. Here is a big missed opportunity. With the skip settings, you can stumble upon some very cool generative type stuff, particularly when using pitched samples and experimenting with the decimate control. But the MIDI generate doesn't record any of that. And being that there is no MIDI output, you can't record the output either!
This is a real shame. But hey - no buyers remorse here because I got it on sale and it's got it's place in my arsenal.
One more technique I'll throw out... sorry for the long post.
I'm going to try this later today or this weekend with my pseudo generative technique: create some very clean pitched samples, drop them on the slots for 8 different instruments, set up all the sequences with a note on every beat and with skip at 87% on all beats. Then I'll record the audio output in Ableton and once I stumble on something cool, use audio to MIDI to convert that section of the sequence to MIDI. OK enuf. My apologies... :ud:

danielh02
wrote on Sat Feb 25, 2023

"Yeah, while this is a great sounding library, I think there's some misses.

- No drag/drop MIDI to DAW (not really expected with Falcon)
- No saving of presets
- You should be able to store pattern variations in keys D1 through B1

I still bought it, but I hope they continue to expand the functionality."

You can SAVE presets!

See the name field, showing the name of the current preset? See the up /down arrows on the far right of the name field? Next to them is the 3 lines aka 'hamburger' menu icon: click it and voila!

(Falcon v2.8.6) Now user sample DnD is possible in Falcon's own file browser. Very nice!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Great tutorial!!!
https://www.groove3.com/products/UVI-Pe ... -Explained (https://www.groove3.com/products/UVI-Percussion-Factory-Explained)

UVI gave me a 40 euro voucher and I also have a 25 euro voucher. Does anyone know if I can stack these and use both for buying Percussion Factory?

BJ wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:19 pm UVI gave me a 40 euro voucher and I also have a 25 euro voucher. Does anyone know if I can stack these and use both for buying Percussion Factory?
someone on vi-control said they stacked their vouchers so yeah, give it a go. If I was you I'd wait until the last day of the month though, just in case they squeeze another sneaky sale in right at the end of January.

BJ wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:19 pm UVI gave me a 40 euro voucher and I also have a 25 euro voucher. Does anyone know if I can stack these and use both for buying Percussion Factory?
Yes, you can stack vouchers. You can also use them on sale items.

Ah thats good to know thanks guys

When you buy this, do you also get access to the old Percussion library? As that one has instruments per percussion instrument allowing you to play multiple articulations. As far as I saw in various videos, this new one only plays single articulations but all the articulations are still in the sample content of the library.

So the rhythm functionality is a step up, but at the cost of having playable percussion instruments while doubling the price.

eagle007 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:47 am When you buy this, do you also get access to the old Percussion library?
I never used the old one, but it looks like you do get access to the old library. In the presets, there is an 'instruments' category which has various articulations mapped to different keys. So, for example if you pick 'Djembe Malian' you get 'open', 'finger muted', 'finger side', 'palm muted', 'palm open' and 'slap muted' mapped to six adjacent keys.

The number of articulations for each seperate instrument varies from between 1 (for 'simple shaker') and eight (for stuff like 'Tabla Indian') but you can also load any articulation of any instrument into any of the eight slots to create your own custom playable instrument. It's pretty versatile.

At last, I was able to get the multiple outputs separate into StudioOne (inside of Falcon). The weird thing is that I only get the different layers separate when using the play button of Percussion Factory. When I trigger the different patterns with the midi note on's in StudioOne; all sounds come from one output (in my case, output 3). Is this a bug, or limitation?

Return to “Instruments”