The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

e-musician wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 pm Where are those 20 sequencer patterns stored?

For instance, there is a preset patch called "Base Tech KS HZ", which makes use of the sequencer. The display shows "Pattern 19". Again, clicking on either of the PRESET arrows below the display doesn't have any effect, so neither can you skip to a "Pattern 18" nor to a "Pattern 20".

I see that there is an "ArpMidi" folder in Documents (Windows), but it is empty. Is this because it is just for USER MIDI files?
Yes correct, the folder is mostly intended to put your own MIDI files there. We did intend to also provide 20 basic rhythm patterns from Dune 3. Those were missing in the installer.
e-musician wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 pm For example, there is a preset patch called "Colors KS HZ", which makes use of a MIDI file called "TheSearch01". Is that stored anywhere? How could I exchange it for, let's say, "TheSearch03" (which does exist and is used in another preset patch)?

What am I doing wrong here, or, what do I misunderstand? :shrug:
We have updated the installer with the 20 MIDI patterns. Note those are just basic rhythm patterns, nothing too spectacular. Presets that show different names inside the arp/sequencer are based on custom MIDI files that Kevin or Hans imported.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

DaniZzz79 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 pm
D Halgren wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:15 pm
DaniZzz79 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:08 pm
D Halgren wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:29 am Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is with the sequencer presets? The drop-down and the left/right arrows don't show any presets and the manual says there should be 20.
it works with me!

(ableton 12, OSX VEntura)
So you are saying that you have the sequencer presets? I'm on MacOS 12 and using Live 12 and the drop down doesn't show any presets and the arrows do nothing. Maybe I should redownload 🤷‍♂️
yep, either with the dropdown menu or the left/right arrow I can access 20 midi patterns or import any midi file. both VST3 and AU.

is this what you are referring to?

HZ_presets_pic.jpg
Yes, that's it. I don't have a patterns slot in the drop-down. I will try and download again and see if that works. Thanks for the screenshot.

kmonkey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:39 pmGuys or Girls, I have an honest question. What "modulation at an audio rate" is and why should I need it or care?
It's when you use an oscillator to modulate something, like hard sync or FM.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pmThey're both great synths but if someone can only afford one then the choice is obvious to me. :shrug:
Only if you know what they want to use it for. I could make a lifetime of music with either.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pmThis is a very simple test, two sawtooth waves, no detuning, no modulation. The difference is quite pronounced.
https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/d ... al_sharing
But one is not more digital or more analogue than the other, which was the actual point of the exercise.
Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:31 pm... DUNE 3 which is a synth that blows Legend HZ out of the water....in the right hands.
Unless you are keen to precisely replicate the sound of a Model D, which makes it exactly the kind of ridiculous assertion that you are arguing against.

In fact, the pair of you are useless and your ridiculous hyperbole is helping no-one. Please stop it and try to understand what the other is trying to get at.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:54 pm
e-musician wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 pm Where are those 20 sequencer patterns stored?

For instance, there is a preset patch called "Base Tech KS HZ", which makes use of the sequencer. The display shows "Pattern 19". Again, clicking on either of the PRESET arrows below the display doesn't have any effect, so neither can you skip to a "Pattern 18" nor to a "Pattern 20".

I see that there is an "ArpMidi" folder in Documents (Windows), but it is empty. Is this because it is just for USER MIDI files?
Yes correct, the folder is mostly intended to put your own MIDI files there. We did intend to also provide 20 basic rhythm patterns from Dune 3. Those were missing in the installer.
e-musician wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 pm For example, there is a preset patch called "Colors KS HZ", which makes use of a MIDI file called "TheSearch01". Is that stored anywhere? How could I exchange it for, let's say, "TheSearch03" (which does exist and is used in another preset patch)?

What am I doing wrong here, or, what do I misunderstand? :shrug:
We have updated the installer with the 20 MIDI patterns. Note those are just basic rhythm patterns, nothing too spectacular. Presets that show different names inside the arp/sequencer are based on custom MIDI files that Kevin or Hans imported.

Richard
Thanks Richard, that answered my question. Cheers 🥂

BONES wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:08 pm
kmonkey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:39 pmGuys or Girls, I have an honest question. What "modulation at an audio rate" is and why should I need it or care?
It's when you use an oscillator to modulate something, like hard sync or FM.
Then that's something I already used without knowing it under that name. Thanks.

When using OSC3 as a mod source in the dedicated section (modwheel -> OSC / filter modulation), the modulation is MUCH cleaner compared to when one uses the modmatrix to do the same. I would like to see an option to have OSC3 and OSC6 as a CLEAN modulation source as well..

(maybe i am doing something wrong..but using OSC3 and OSC6 as mod sources result in aweful sounding modulation. Tried it @88.4kHz as well..same result)

BONES wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:10 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pmThey're both great synths but if someone can only afford one then the choice is obvious to me. :shrug:
Only if you know what they want to use it for. I could make a lifetime of music with either.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pmThis is a very simple test, two sawtooth waves, no detuning, no modulation. The difference is quite pronounced.
https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/d ... al_sharing
But one is not more digital or more analogue than the other, which was the actual point of the exercise.
Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:31 pm... DUNE 3 which is a synth that blows Legend HZ out of the water....in the right hands.
Unless you are keen to precisely replicate the sound of a Model D, which makes it exactly the kind of ridiculous assertion that you are arguing against.

In fact, the pair of you are useless and your ridiculous hyperbole is helping no-one. Please stop it and try to understand what the other is trying to get at.
You can't use legendhz though because of that awful moog filter right?

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pm
Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:37 pm But The Legend HZ is a whole different beast.
It has 6 oscillators and 4 MSEG and and and ... It has 2 LFO (osc3 and osc6) that are audio-rate. You basically have audio rate modulation on an old school synth.
DUNE 3 has 16 Oscs and 8 Subs, 31 filter types, several of which are analog modelled, the ability to have 8 filters at a time or 16 in dual mode, 2 Arp/Seqs, the ability to bypass the Arps per layer, audio rate modulation, 3 LFOs, 4 MSEGS, 2 FX racks, Wavetables, Sample import, 3 Op FM, and and and....

Like I said before Legend HZ is a great synth but as you say it's "old school". DUNE 3 is a modern synth that pushes synthesis much farther than Legend HZ.

They're both great synths but if someone can only afford one then the choice is obvious to me. :shrug:
I disagree with your conclusion because again, you are taking a very specific population that can only afford one generalist synth.

I think there is another population that has already a lot of synths, probably already a few generalist synths they like and who are looking for "character" synths, with specific workflows that won't be similar to their generalist synth.

If you take my example, for generalist, I would go first for Avenger 2, any day of the week, then phase plant, then certainly dune 3, Pigments, Falcon, hive 2 and far behind, Current.
For more simpler digital synths, it is Spire, then Spire, then Spire, and sometimes Serum, Vital, Europa, Thorn...
For something sounding more warm, it was Obsession and Twin3, then Diva and The Legend.

Now, I know that Legend HZ will be my first choice for this last category most of the time... Hands down...

So basically, for my setup and my case, I would give up Dune 3 much more easily than I would give up Legend HZ, and despite the fact that, as you rightly said, Dune 3 cover much more territory than Legend HZ. (and that has nothing to do with the fact that I find Dune 3 to be a great synth).

By far... Dune and Legend HZ are my favourite Synapse synths.
It is rare that whilst I am beta testing a plugin it goes straight into my prime time templates... Legend HZ did a few months ago (I can only think of one other product that ever did that)...

I don't know if I had to choose one which one I would choose.... Thank goodness I don't have to choose one. :)

Depending on the type of project I am working on, I would certainly go for one first rather than the other in that specific project, then a few days later I could be working on another project which I do the opposite.

Two fantastic synths imho..
(Obsession was the synth I was most looking forward to other than Omnisphere (1 and 2), and the one I was most disappointed by, but ymmv)

rsp
sound sculptist

This synth sounds awesome ! It´s immens. Congratulations !

My critical user feedback:
the Dry-Wet parameter in the Delay section is imho way to unrefined vs. small to very small values.
Could you please look at this again ? That would be awesome if you would change that.
( the stroke is way to small vs. very small values. it´s 0-0.5 out of 0-10, thats something like 5% of the full swing to adjust the Delay wet amount vs. subtle settings)

A wish, but something i consider to be a requirement that i would call a VST-I a outdeveloped product, is: please add a lock button to the FX bypass switches. One lock button that locks all FX bypass switch settings, vs. keeping these settings as set while we´d change the presets. That would make the handling, especially vs. the initial "check things out" days, way better. Quicker !
Hope you can consider these two @ Team Synapse Audio

The sound within my patch is phenomenal !
.....even better than thought vs. my impression from the YT demos. And i thought it would be good ;)

zvenx wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:58 pm By far... Dune and Legend HZ are my favourite Synapse synths.
It is rare that whilst I am beta testing a plugin it goes straight into my prime time templates... Legend HZ did a few months ago (I can only think of one other product that ever did that)...

I don't know if I had to choose one which one I would choose.... Thank goodness I don't have to choose one. :)

Depending on the type of project I am working on, I would certainly go for one first rather than the other in that specific project, then a few days later I could be working on another project which I do the opposite.

Two fantastic synths imho..
(Obsession was the synth I was most looking forward to other than Omnisphere (1 and 2), and the one I was most disappointed by, but ymmv)

rsp
Is it ?
I love obsession sound (but now I love Legend HZ more).

Weirdly I also continue to LOVE antidote wich is a Reason Rack, I think it was a kind of Dune 0.1 but man it sounds gorgeous.

Funky40 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm This synth sounds awesome ! It´s immens. Congratulations !

My critical user feedback:
the Dry-Wet parameter in the Delay section is imho way to unrefined vs. small to very small values.
Could you please look at this again ? That would be awesome if you would change that.
( the stroke is way to small vs. very small values. it´s 0-0.5 out of 0-10, thats something like 5% of the full swing to adjust the Delay wet amount vs. subtle settings)

A wish, but something i consider to be a requirement that i would call a VST-I a outdeveloped product, is: please add a lock button to the FX bypass switches. One lock button that locks all FX bypass switch settings, vs. keeping these settings as set while we´d change the presets. That would make the handling, especially vs. the initial "check things out" days, way better. Quicker !

The sound within my patch is phenomenal !
.....even better than thought vs. my impression from the YT demos. And i thought it would be good ;)
If we are to be greedy and ask even more awesomeness, I'd like to have a panning control on the oscillators.

Funky40 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm

You can lock FX on or Off on the main GUI panel, or do you mean something else?

Jac459 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:18 pmIf we are to be greedy and ask even more awesomeness, I'd like to have a panning control on the oscillators.
That would be killer, but I suspect that to keep the filter emulation quality high, and make it stereo, would make it too CPU intensive. This is where Dune shines.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”