The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

Wish it had pannable oscillators. A synth with 6 oscillators would definitely benefit from not having them all forced into the same space all the time. There's room on the interface for small pan dials in the mixer.

Vortifex wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:39 pm Wish it had pannable oscillators. A synth with 6 oscillators would definitely benefit from not having them all forced into the same space all the time. There's room on the interface for small pan dials in the mixer.
+1. The auto panner isn't sufficient imho.

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:54 pm
e-musician wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 pm Where are those 20 sequencer patterns stored?

For instance, there is a preset patch called "Base Tech KS HZ", which makes use of the sequencer. The display shows "Pattern 19". Again, clicking on either of the PRESET arrows below the display doesn't have any effect, so neither can you skip to a "Pattern 18" nor to a "Pattern 20".

I see that there is an "ArpMidi" folder in Documents (Windows), but it is empty. Is this because it is just for USER MIDI files?
Yes correct, the folder is mostly intended to put your own MIDI files there. We did intend to also provide 20 basic rhythm patterns from Dune 3. Those were missing in the installer.
e-musician wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 pm For example, there is a preset patch called "Colors KS HZ", which makes use of a MIDI file called "TheSearch01". Is that stored anywhere? How could I exchange it for, let's say, "TheSearch03" (which does exist and is used in another preset patch)?

What am I doing wrong here, or, what do I misunderstand? :shrug:
We have updated the installer with the 20 MIDI patterns. Note those are just basic rhythm patterns, nothing too spectacular. Presets that show different names inside the arp/sequencer are based on custom MIDI files that Kevin or Hans imported.

Richard

Thank you, Richard! :tu:

But now I noticed another "strange" thing.

1) Select the preset patch "Base Tech KS HZ".
2) In the sequencer, you can see that it uses Pattern19.
3) Now press the PRESET NEXT arrow below the display.
Expected behaviour: The value jumps to Pattern20.
What happens: The value jumps to Pattern01.

Also:

1) Select another preset patch, then select the "Base Tech KS HZ" again.
2) In the sequencer, you can see that it uses Pattern19.
3) Now press the PRESET PREV arrow below the display.
Expected behaviour: The value jumps to Pattern18.
What happens: The value jumps to Pattern20.

exmatproton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm When using OSC3 as a mod source in the dedicated section (modwheel -> OSC / filter modulation), the modulation is MUCH cleaner compared to when one uses the modmatrix to do the same. I would like to see an option to have OSC3 and OSC6 as a CLEAN modulation source as well..

(maybe i am doing something wrong..but using OSC3 and OSC6 as mod sources result in aweful sounding modulation. Tried it @88.4kHz as well..same result)
It looks like the mod matrix is not set up to handle audio rate modulation, which I suspect is why the oscillators are listed in the LFO section. It would need a modulation quality setting like Dune, and I bet that in a synth like this one, it would be pretty hard on the ol' CPU.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:31 pm
exmatproton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm When using OSC3 as a mod source in the dedicated section (modwheel -> OSC / filter modulation), the modulation is MUCH cleaner compared to when one uses the modmatrix to do the same. I would like to see an option to have OSC3 and OSC6 as a CLEAN modulation source as well..

(maybe i am doing something wrong..but using OSC3 and OSC6 as mod sources result in aweful sounding modulation. Tried it @88.4kHz as well..same result)
It looks like the mod matrix is not set up to handle audio rate modulation, which I suspect is why the oscillators are listed in the LFO section. It would need a modulation quality setting like Dune, and I bet that in a synth like this one, it would be pretty hard on the ol' CPU.
That is what i believe as well.
Would be a nice addition though. Now it is quite unusable for settings other then 'lo'.

Lo is how it's meant to be used as an lfo, altering speed with the pitch knobs, not the 'range' knobs

seafire wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:18 pm Lo is how it's meant to be used as an lfo, altering speed with the pitch knobs, not the 'range' knobs
Yup, and i am saying that it would be nice if they add a setting, a la Dune (highest quality, audio rate), where faster speeds of the osc's can be used to do modulation.

exmatproton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:06 pm
Vortifex wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:39 pm Wish it had pannable oscillators. A synth with 6 oscillators would definitely benefit from not having them all forced into the same space all the time. There's room on the interface for small pan dials in the mixer.
Is there a way to do that in the mod matrix? I know some synths don't have a pan knob, but they include it as a target.

Examigan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:05 pm
exmatproton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:06 pm
Is there a way to do that in the mod matrix? I know some synths don't have a pan knob, but they include it as a target.
Unfort. not
osc_s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

seafire wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:29 pm
Funky40 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm

A wish, but something i consider to be a requirement that i would call a VST-I a outdeveloped product, is: please add a lock button to the FX bypass switches. One lock button that locks all FX bypass switch settings, vs. keeping these settings as set while we´d change the presets. That would make the handling, especially vs. the initial "check things out" days, way better. Quicker !
Hope you can consider these two @ Team Synapse Audio

You can lock FX on or Off on the main GUI panel, or do you mean something else?
i mean something slightly different, yes.
I mean a lock that locks the state of all FX bypass switches.
What you have is a lock that switches ALL FX off at the same time.

Phaser, Chorus, and especially the Filterbank might be a crucial part of a sound preset, and part of the whole sound design. While i would consider a Reverb and a Delay something "post the sound". Delay and Reverb is what we might have in place anyway.
And thats the two FX sounddesigners overuse !....quasi in any synth.
It can often ruin otherwise great sounds.

To have just the Delay and the Reverb switched off, ...and locked,....is just not the same as bypassing ALL FX.

check my phrasing:
Funky40 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm One lock button that locks all FX bypass switch settings, vs. keeping these settings as set while we´d change the presets.
I agree, on usual synths -often enough-, you could just bypass ALL FX, donne.
But here vs. the Legend and vs. "the moog sound" ?
A more refined approach* would add to it in my opinion. ( *added on top of a global FX bypass)

but in all fairness, i have to confess, i previously indeed overlooked that FX bypass you mentioned ;)
So, thanks for pointing that out !

I thought I had posted to this thread but I guess I didn't hit "submit". I'm actually kinda interested in this. I like things that have heavy duty modeling, and don't stick too hard to a direct emulation. I wasn't interested in another MM even if it was really great, but I'm interested in a well modelling Moog style 6 oscillator synth.

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned already but 18 pages is a lot. Does it support MTS ESP? I'm kinda really into making my own 12 tone and 24 tone scales these days. And any really nice synth that has direct support makes me happy for when I inevitably say "oh what can I use on this weird piece of music I'm writing".
Also does it have alternate filter types besides an " accurate transistor ladder"? 2 pole low pass, Bandpass, highpass, less "analog" flavored filters pulled from Dune? Seems like a fun addition.

Furthermore is the filterbank per voice or part of an effect chain? If it is per voice can it be tuned as a whole?
I'll demo it anyway but these are the questions that jumped to mind.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:58 pmYou can't use legendhz though because of that awful moog filter right?
There are a lot of things it's not suited for but, as with the original Legend, it still has it's uses. Only moreso with the HZ version. Somehow the extra oscillators have made it sound so much better, or maybe it's tweaks to other parts of it. Whatever it is, it has an incredible sound, despite being hampered by that Dog-awful filter. If Rich put a SEM filter into it, it would be my absolute dream synth. But he won't and I am fine with that, as this is not my only softsynth.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A detailed walkthrough and some patch building examples would be greatly appreciated.

Would also be good if Synapse can get this into the hands of more sound designers so we can see more preset packs being released.

FWIW, there's the Modern Analog soundset:

https://www.synapse-audio.com/tlmodernanalog.html

exmatproton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:56 pm
seafire wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:18 pm Lo is how it's meant to be used as an lfo, altering speed with the pitch knobs, not the 'range' knobs
Yup, and i am saying that it would be nice if they add a setting, a la Dune (highest quality, audio rate), where faster speeds of the osc's can be used to do modulation.
Well. Happy you. It is absolutely the case, you can go beyond "LO"... The LFO are audio rate (I believe)... you can go until the faster and you can do RM, modulate the filter cutoff, it works...

EDIT: But if I am not wrong, you can't play with the phase so it is only on the filter or volume or pitch...
At high frequency, it seems to behave a bit weirdly, can somebody confirm what the user guide is saying ?

Return to “Instruments”