Logic Pro 11 is announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

I look forward to the changelog

I wonder what happens regarding the copyright ownership of songs helped written with the virtual session players, because you need to literally be a human to create copyright ownership of material. As far as I know, you can't copyright the outputs your text prompts produced in Udio etc. So I wonder what the case is here?

There is a whole can of worms being opened possibly regarding potential liabilities of using Logic Pro 11 as your DAW, simply because the option of a virtual session player exists in it. What if someone steals your song, you take them to court, and it's thrown out because they showed you created it in a program that creates the song for you via AI? I've seen crazier things so..

It really feels like the virtual session player isn't exactly the same thing as hiring an actual session player. In my opinion we are already approaching this sort of stuff eventually getting legally tested with generative MIDI stuff like Scaler, Ableton, etc. I've been waiting for the copyright infringement lawsuit to pop up where the defendant claims "I didn't steal it, I Scaler generated the progression for me, sue them!"

I am not an expert or authority on the subject matter, just my immediate thoughts because the AI seems to be the flagship of the announcement, and it seems a step above the threshold of what we've seen used so far in DAWs.
"music is the best"

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:53 pm I look forward to the changelog
Yeah would be nice to know what else is coming. So far it’s underwhelming what I have read so far, but, hey it’s a free upgrade which noice

The AI stuff looks impressive but is by far the least useful feature to me. Similar for the Stems feature. I just got Akai's version and its ability to separate tracks is nothing short of amazing, but not something that I have a real use for (so far). But, I'm sure those features will be very useful to other users, so no complaints here. My main thoughts are that (a) it's a free update, and (b):
:party:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Pretty much anything after the Alchemy version has been useless to me. Never could get the tempo function to do as I wanted, don't use cells or the sequencer, and don't have need for auto-master. I'm on 10.7.7/Monterey, and it is stable (notwithstanding an issue I had last night with my main template and Komplete Kontrol) and fast.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

cryophonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:02 pm Similar for the Stems feature.
I can't imagine using that more than once or twice per year... if that.

audiouser720 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 pm
Yeah would be nice to know what else is coming.
We'll know in a week...

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:48 pm I wonder what happens regarding the copyright ownership of songs helped written with the virtual session players, because you need to literally be a human to create copyright ownership of material. As far as I know, you can't copyright the outputs your text prompts produced in Udio etc. So I wonder what the case is here?

There is a whole can of worms being opened possibly regarding potential liabilities of using Logic Pro 11 as your DAW, simply because the option of a virtual session player exists in it. What if someone steals your song, you take them to court, and it's thrown out because they showed you created it in a program that creates the song for you via AI? I've seen crazier things so..

It really feels like the virtual session player isn't exactly the same thing as hiring an actual session player. In my opinion we are already approaching this sort of stuff eventually getting legally tested with generative MIDI stuff like Scaler, Ableton, etc. I've been waiting for the copyright infringement lawsuit to pop up where the defendant claims "I didn't steal it, I Scaler generated the progression for me, sue them!"

I am not an expert or authority on the subject matter, just my immediate thoughts because the AI seems to be the flagship of the announcement, and it seems a step above the threshold of what we've seen used so far in DAWs.
It kind of depends. If it's anything like Drummer, it follows what you put in for the most part. So if I played a piano part and it comes up with a decent bassline based off of the chords I played I don't see that as very different from hiring a bassist to play some bass on a song I wrote. Session players don't usually get royalties on songs only the song writers do. I'd imagine it would be the same except the session player is AI.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I also wonder what the pricing is going to be? There were rumors of Apple switching to a subscription system.

Logic Pro has been hands down the most ridiculous value when it comes to DAWs. Free updates, massive ones at that, for over a decade now? Would be sad to see that end, because what a flex that is on Apple's part with all the free upgrades over the last decade.

I don't use Logic anymore, but I have to say that Logic served me VERY well for many years and I still can't believe it never costed me a dime after a certain point. The updates just kept coming for free.
Last edited by Funk Dracula on Tue May 07, 2024 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"music is the best"

accidental self quite. Mods delete please.
"music is the best"

Accidental self not quite would be worse.

(There are no mods here for cleaning up your poop by the way - so if you aren't really clean yet I'd suggest you get used to wearing diapers.)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:44 pm I also wonder what the pricing is going to be? There were rumors of Apple switching to a subscription system.

Logic Pro has been hands down the most ridiculous value when it comes to DAWs. Free updates, massive ones at that, for over a decade now? Would be sad to see that end, because what a flex that is on Apple's part with all the free upgrades over the last decade.

I don't use Logic anymore, but I have to say that Logic served me VERY well for many years and I still can't believe it never costed me a dime after a certain point. The updates just kept coming for free.
From the OP's link:
Pricing and Availability
  • Logic Pro for Mac 11 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users and for £199.99 for new users on the Mac App Store. Logic Pro for Mac 11 requires macOS Ventura 13.5 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/logic-pro.
  • Logic Pro for iPad 2 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users, and available on the App Store for £4.99per month or £49 per year, with a one-month free trial for new users. Logic Pro for iPad 2 requires iPadOS 17.4 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/logic-pro-for-ipad.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:05 pm
Funk Dracula wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:44 pm I also wonder what the pricing is going to be? There were rumors of Apple switching to a subscription system.

From the OP's link:
Pricing and Availability
  • Logic Pro for Mac 11 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users and for £199.99 for new users on the Mac App Store. Logic Pro for Mac 11 requires macOS Ventura 13.5 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/logic-pro.
  • Logic Pro for iPad 2 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users, and available on the App Store for £4.99per month or £49 per year, with a one-month free trial for new users. Logic Pro for iPad 2 requires iPadOS 17.4 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/logic-pro-for-ipad.

I'm more surprised they didn't require Sonoma to install it.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I am wondering the same.
A better and working browser? like iPad version
Native Plugin, Track Search
FX chain presets that can be used on Instrument tracks without workarounds
Project based bus names
Working ARA2
Advanced export options like including busses, master
Unlimited nested stacks etc..

These are all not worth any announcement to Apple. Heck they did not even mentoion Mac version in the presentation since it was an iPad event anyway.
There is Chord Track, so we will see in a week what else is not announced.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”