DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

hello!

i'm working on getting familiar with the mapping for the maschine mk2, but i'm stumped on the browser function- specifically i can't seem to filter by devie vendor, which is my primary way of sorting through my devices. what am i missing?
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

zenophilix wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:33 am hello!

i'm working on getting familiar with the mapping for the maschine mk2, but i'm stumped on the browser function- specifically i can't seem to filter by devie vendor, which is my primary way of sorting through my devices. what am i missing?
It is broken on Launchpad too since Bitwig did this horrible update to the browser.

I think it is BWS fault.

moss wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 pm
dcarmich wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:08 pm Since your fix, the meters on my Yamaha DM3 have worked perfectly. But, automation doesn't.
When I use the "Others" DAW Remote mode and select one of the automation modes (Read/Touch/Latch/Write/Trim/Off) nothing happens.

However, when I use the "Steinberg" DAW Remote mode, Read/Write works properly but mute automation does not.
I can write mute automation as the track plays, but the track will always start muted even if I write a mute later in the track. (This does not happen with PreSonus Studio One 6.6.0.99237, but it does also happen when I use Bome's MIDI Translator to translate HUI to MCU protocol and use Bitwig's native Mackie Control script.)

Attached are two MIDI Monitor files of the automation buttons in Other and Steinberg mode.

DC DM3 Automation Other.zip
DC DM3 Automation Steinberg.zip
The MCU protocol uses the following values:
MCU_READ = 74
MCU_WRITE = 75
MCU_TRIM = 76
MCU_TOUCH = 77
MCU_LATCH = 78
Bitwig themselves fixed the mute issue in 5.1.9, but the automation issue I'm still having is that after I select an automation mode on the DM3 (like Latch or Touch) and press the SEL button to select it (as per the DM3 manual), there is no confirmation on the DM3 display (like the button going on) that the mode has been selected. Would it be challenging to implement turning on the SEL lights for all 8 channels when an automation mode is selected, and turning them off when returning to Read mode or turning automation off?

pc999 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:00 pm

It is broken on Launchpad too since Bitwig did this horrible update to the browser.

I think it is BWS fault.
that's... really disappointing. hopefully the script gets updated soon.

incidentally, also haven't been able to work out how to switch devices from the maschine, or how to change pages of device parameters without flipping through the parameters one by one. manual seems unclear about this, not sure what i'm overlooking.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

dcarmich wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:52 am
moss wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 pm
dcarmich wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:08 pm Since your fix, the meters on my Yamaha DM3 have worked perfectly. But, automation doesn't.
When I use the "Others" DAW Remote mode and select one of the automation modes (Read/Touch/Latch/Write/Trim/Off) nothing happens.

However, when I use the "Steinberg" DAW Remote mode, Read/Write works properly but mute automation does not.
I can write mute automation as the track plays, but the track will always start muted even if I write a mute later in the track. (This does not happen with PreSonus Studio One 6.6.0.99237, but it does also happen when I use Bome's MIDI Translator to translate HUI to MCU protocol and use Bitwig's native Mackie Control script.)

Attached are two MIDI Monitor files of the automation buttons in Other and Steinberg mode.

DC DM3 Automation Other.zip
DC DM3 Automation Steinberg.zip
The MCU protocol uses the following values:
MCU_READ = 74
MCU_WRITE = 75
MCU_TRIM = 76
MCU_TOUCH = 77
MCU_LATCH = 78
Bitwig themselves fixed the mute issue in 5.1.9, but the automation issue I'm still having is that after I select an automation mode on the DM3 (like Latch or Touch) and press the SEL button to select it (as per the DM3 manual), there is no confirmation on the DM3 display (like the button going on) that the mode has been selected. Would it be challenging to implement turning on the SEL lights for all 8 channels when an automation mode is selected, and turning them off when returning to Read mode or turning automation off?
I've opened a pull request (https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/pull/395) proposing a temporary workaround for the lack of visual feedback when changing automation modes with the DM3 in Others mode.
The proposed change modifies the Mackie HUI integration to make the "Write" button on the DM3 touchscreen function as "Latch" mode when used in Steinberg mode with Bitwig Studio.
This allows writing automation data using Latch mode on the DM3 hardware until more robust integration across all control modes can be implemented.

pc999 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:23 am Hi,

I don't know if it is a bug but, is there any way, on the original Launchpad Pro, of making the track recall the state of the mode of the track using the launchpad long-press "track select" bottom?

Funny thing it that if I use my SL Mk2 to change the track, it does correctly recall the mode the track was in the last time.

I mean on the original Launchpad Pro when using the long-press "track select" bottom when I have in track 1 a "Play" mode, on track 2 a "Drum mode" and on track 3 a "Sequencer mode", when I go from track 1 to 2 I need to manually change it to "drum mode" and when I go back to track 1 I need to change again to "play mode" then I go to track 3 and need to manually change to "sequencer" and back to track 2 and, again, manually change it to "drum". And when I go to track 1 I need to change again from "drum" to "play mode".

Funny thing it that if I use my SL Mk2 to change the track, it does correctly recall the mode the track was in the last time.

I am using the DrivenByMoss-23.2. on Ubuntu.

It would save a lot of clicks when I don't have the SL Mk2 at disposition (given the lower portability of it).

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for reporting! Will be fixed in the next update!

zenophilix wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:54 pm
pc999 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:00 pm

I think it is BWS fault.
that's... really disappointing. hopefully the script gets updated soon.
Sadly, Bitwig did still not adapt the API to the new browser. So, there is nothing I can do about it. Complain to Bitwig, the more the merrier ;-)
zenophilix wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:54 pm incidentally, also haven't been able to work out how to switch devices from the maschine, or how to change pages of device parameters without flipping through the parameters one by one. manual seems unclear about this, not sure what i'm overlooking.
See the section "Differences between the models" and then "Mk2" in the Maschine chapter in the DrivenByMoss manual.

Hi there, i'm a lover of the drivenbymoss extension but i'm a little bit confused with OSC.

All is working fine when the osc client (Open source control or TouchOSC) is on the same device (so 127.0.0.1) but when i want to use a client on another device on my local network, Bitwig doesn't seem to receive the OSC messages. The PC or Mac (same behaviour on both) receive the messages (Protokol show me that, IP and port are ok) but Bitwig doesn't care.

Did i do something wrong ?

Many thanks !

(To be precise, outgoing messages don't pose a problem, it's the messages from another client to Bitwig that don't seem to be taken into account.)

hvitur wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:13 pm (To be precise, outgoing messages don't pose a problem, it's the messages from another client to Bitwig that don't seem to be taken into account.)
Hard to diagnose network problems via KVR. Maybe there is something already running on the port you use? Is the port open in the firewall?

Yes, Protokol (osc monitor) shows that the messages are coming to the device with bitwig installed but no reaction from bitwig :(

hvitur wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:22 pm Yes, Protokol (osc monitor) shows that the messages are coming to the device with bitwig installed but no reaction from bitwig :(
Firewall exceptions are per application, did you check that?

I did ! I will continue to investigate, thanks !

Oh I had another question : is there a way to "ask" bitwig to send just one value (ie track/1/volume) because refresh send a loooot of data and i would like to use a esp32 and i'm not sure that it would be possible to manage so much data quickly enough

Thanks !

hvitur wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:09 pm Oh I had another question : is there a way to "ask" bitwig to send just one value (ie track/1/volume) because refresh send a loooot of data and i would like to use a esp32 and i'm not sure that it would be possible to manage so much data quickly enough

Thanks !
Yes, absolutely. The problem is that people are always asking for more and more features :D
But you can easily implement something optimized yourself. My Bitwig API development tutorials on my Youtube channel covers OSC as well.

Return to “Controller Scripting”