I'm reading that Microsoft Bitlocker can slow down hard drive almost 40%

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.techradar.com/computing/win ... wn-your-pc

This article popped up today and I know it's for 11 Pro but I found another article from 2023 saying exactly the same. They both state that if you don't use your computer for work, you could disable it. I don't have any sensitive files or even take my computer anywhere, so I disabled it. What does anyone think about this? Had no clue this even existed, but I followed the instructions and there was BitLocker on my 11 home edition. I turned it off and will see if anything happens or if I get any improvement in performance. I'm assuming I can turn it back on because it was a toggle switch selection. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts about this pro or con. Thanks.

Interestingly, according to MS, Win Home 11 doesnt have Bitlocker:
Note: You'll only see this option if BitLocker is available for your device. It isn't available on Windows 11 Home edition.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/win ... Windows_11
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

And yet I have it in my 'Privacy and Security' section when you go to Settings. Under Device Encryption. I don't have Windows Pro but it was something called Windows 11 S, and it stood for Secure. But it also meant you could ONLY install apps from the Microsoft store. This was not going to happen but it gave me an option to turn that off, but stating it couldn't be turned back on. So it seems to be off now and there seems to be no problems. The next reboot will be interesting. I'll post back if I notice any improvement in performance. It looks like you can toggle it back on but they talk about a 'key' you need from your Microsoft account and I haven't been able to get into my account in like twenty years because they want a phone number from 20 years ago I just don't have.

It's really weird. SSD encryption is in the settings, and, it's also activated by default, but, when you click on the Bitlocker encryption setting, it takes you to the Windows Store where you can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.

And, I just sent back a laptop where I had to enter the (lengthy) bitlocker encryption key when I secure erased the SSD.

I don't get it.

BTW, the "S" in Windows S doesn't stand for "secure". According to Microsoft, it stands for nothing in particular. You're right though that it's supported to be secure, because it's restricted to Windows Store apps.

Bitlocker is only in the pro version. Also, yea,
likely not needed. Also yea, slow as its an encryption scheme.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:33 pm It's really weird. SSD encryption is in the settings, and, it's also activated by default, but, when you click on the Bitlocker encryption setting, it takes you to the Windows Store where you can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.

And, I just sent back a laptop where I had to enter the (lengthy) bitlocker encryption key when I secure erased the SSD.

I don't get it.
I got that also, but just clicked away. It had a little progress bar, now it's off. Pretty sure it will be back on after the next update.

in typical microsoft fashion there's bitlocker ( which is available only in pro/enterprise editions of windows ) and there's device encryption ( available on all editions ) - the differences are subtle :

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... bitlocker/

as for any speed impacts - windows can use hardware encryption if the drive supports it ( most nvme do ) - if using hardware encryption there should be mininal impacts on speed. You can find out if you're using hardware or software encryption via the following :

Run "manage-bde.exe -status" in an administrator command prompt.

-If the "Encryption Method" starts with "Hardware Encryption", then BitLocker is using the self-encrypting disk's hardware-based encryption implementation.

-If the "Encryption Method" states something other than "Hardware Encryption", such as "AES-128" or "XTS AES-256", then BitLocker is using software-based encryption.

I did notice a subtle improvement in FL. I'll say first I have tidied the file up bouncing stuff and such but the project went from 50% CPU to 41%.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”