Airwindows Consolidated: Free Mac/Windows/Linux CLAP/VST3/AU/LV2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Airwindows Consolidated

This is fantastic. Thanks Chris!!

Since this gets updated often, it would be great to have an update link in the UI that downloads and installs the latest update within the app/plugin.

plexuss wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:08 pm This is fantastic. Thanks Chris!!

Since this gets updated often, it would be great to have an update link in the UI that downloads and installs the latest update within the app/plugin.
I merged the attached about an two hours ago.

We can't easily download and run the installer from that menu item but it opens you directly to the download page for the latest version, which is a bunch of the work. I'm thinking of how to engineer a 'check for updates' but basically 'there's always updates' so I'm not sure it's worth it, since Chris will push a new version of this weekly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

awesomesauce !
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

baconpaul wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 pm

We can't easily download and run the installer from that menu item but it opens you directly to the download page for the latest version, which is a bunch of the work. I'm thinking of how to engineer a 'check for updates' but basically 'there's always updates' so I'm not sure it's worth it, since Chris will push a new version of this weekly.
Exactly. If there are frequent updates it would be nice to know when they are available and have the process of updating automated as much as possible. The idea is to make upgrading to the latest as easy as possible. I'd even select an option to "Update automatically in the background". Do waht you can. I know its code effort.

Is there any chance, since BaconPaul is still working on things, that we could have a way to highlight or easily differentiate our favorites from the rest?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:51 pm Is there any chance, since BaconPaul is still working on things, that we could have a way to highlight or easily differentiate our favorites from the rest?
Like a heart icon beside each, when selected it will show up in another category "Favourites".

https://github.com/baconpaul/airwin2rack/issues/81

There’s the user category issue - follow it and when I get to it I’ll update there

Not this week though

All the other ideas that aren’t impossible or won’t dos are also issues there

plexuss wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:16 pm
baconpaul wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 pm

Exactly. If there are frequent updates it would be nice to know when they are available and have the process of updating automated as much as possible. The idea is to make upgrading to the latest as easy as possible. I'd even select an option to "Update automatically in the background". Do waht you can. I know its code effort.
I was thinking about just doing the “if your build is more than a month old nag you” but that’s intrusive

It’s super easy to do a works like 80 percent of the time background download and install and almost impossible once you set the bar to like 81 or above. You download from within the plugin but the DLL is locked on windows. You are running in a sandboxed Mac daw and you can’t open a signed dmg. Ugh just masses of corner cases that means a half assed approach will be unsatisfying and a complete one is hard - and also a complete one steals from other projects like short circuit and surge for really not that much benefit

What I might do is publish the latest version as a text file to a well known url then have rather than “go to downloads” a “check for updates” but the file names have dates in them

But basically things like “a well working download manager” is one of the differences between a few people in the code base and a big company. “Bug fixes in public within a few hours all the source and free” are some of the others though! If you are particularly interested in this the essay “the cathedral and the bazaar” is sort of the canonical text.

baconpaul wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:27 pm https://github.com/baconpaul/airwin2rack/issues/81

There’s the user category issue - follow it and when I get to it I’ll update there

Not this week though

All the other ideas that aren’t impossible or won’t dos are also issues there
Cool! Thank you!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Well, can't you just check for updates every Monday, just the one time?

ampetrosillo wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:28 pm Well, can't you just check for updates every Monday, just the one time?
yes you can! theres even a menu item which lets you do it!

Thank you Chris, looking at it, it's a work of art.

baconpaul wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:34 am
ampetrosillo wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:28 pm Well, can't you just check for updates every Monday, just the one time?
No, I mean, automating the check every Monday.

ampetrosillo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:57 am
baconpaul wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:34 am
No, I mean, automating the check every Monday.
There’s a variety of technical annoyances with this, but even if someone were to sign up to code them up the first question I would ask is: do any of your other plugins do automatic un unitiated internet activity in the background to check for updates and break your flow when using them? None of mine do. A “check for updates” setting menu is common (heck we even have a draft clap extension to let the host consolidate those) but unattended background internet activity is the stuff thst gets FOSS redditors making death threads and producers annoyed at mid mix pop ups right?

So then we end up with a manual activity. Check for updates. Right now this opens a page with the latest version that contains a date which you can compare with the date in the ui. I suppose I could make that manual action do the date compare and pop up an ok cancel box. Then open the web page. That’s what I mentioned above. But since there always will be an update it just seems like extra work and extra step.

But it all open source even the binary assembly! I’m happy to merge contributions if making that process work reliably makes your dev heart sing!

Arturia does.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Effects”