Softube new plugins, Clipper and Widener

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nonstatic wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:33 am
bmanic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:19 pm It is thus very unfortunate that this plugin does not expose all of the juicy parameters when used in Console 1 !!. A big warning here for users of Console 1. The Clipper plugin is only available in the input section (where you find the Tape plugins) and in the 'Drive' section of Console 1 where it exposes the Input drive amount and Knee parameters but none of the important and useful ones like the filters nor the RMS controls. This was a huge letdown and probably the main reason I will not purchase this plugin.

It should have been enabled for the 'Shape' section of Console 1 and allowed full access to all the controls, just like the Widener plugin does.
You're in luck, it's now in the 'Shape' section as of today's update. :tu:
Awesome!! They listened!

I did send them an email about it and apparently a lot of others did too!

Guess I have to edit the original post with an update.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Cut the jive talk and answer the real question..

Do we clip before we widen or widen before we clip ?

Or can we widen, clip, widen, clip to be sure or maybe clip, widen, clip, widen.

Why did they not make a clipping widener, or widen clipper ?

And why no saturator stage before ?

It's amazing how hits were made before such trumpet blowing about processes likely to get you into a lot of trouble.

Synthman2000 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:04 am Cut the jive talk and answer the real question..

Do we clip before we widen or widen before we clip ?

Or can we widen, clip, widen, clip to be sure or maybe clip, widen, clip, widen.

Why did they not make a clipping widener, or widen clipper ?

And why no saturator stage before ?

It's amazing how hits were made before such trumpet blowing about processes likely to get you into a lot of trouble.
Oh, the hyperbole or the attempt at irony. I don't think anyone ever said you need to use these two plugins In tandem one after another. They just seem to be released under the same time.

You use them if and when you need them or you move on. They are good plugins.

Anyone else I suggest Ash or GoldClip if you intend to clip your masters. Softube Clipper on instruments or buses. YMMV

Just make sure you don't modulate your ring when clipping your widener that's all. :tu:

The guy is a troll and just here to stir things up. Just block and ignore.

Ahh.... the old he's a troll name calling, like a playground.

Surely you should be making some presets or beta testing instead of calling troll.

Maybe some just got tired of a stack of words that mean very little for 2 tools that no one other than people who really know what they are doing should be using.

In fact people who do know what they are doing use neither, except for rare occasion.

So endless words about unhelpful tools is worse than empty space.

Keep the troll calling for others.

bmanic wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:00 pm
nonstatic wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:33 am
bmanic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:19 pm It is thus very unfortunate that this plugin does not expose all of the juicy parameters when used in Console 1 !!. A big warning here for users of Console 1. The Clipper plugin is only available in the input section (where you find the Tape plugins) and in the 'Drive' section of Console 1 where it exposes the Input drive amount and Knee parameters but none of the important and useful ones like the filters nor the RMS controls. This was a huge letdown and probably the main reason I will not purchase this plugin.

It should have been enabled for the 'Shape' section of Console 1 and allowed full access to all the controls, just like the Widener plugin does.
You're in luck, it's now in the 'Shape' section as of today's update. :tu:
Awesome!! They listened!

I did send them an email about it and apparently a lot of others did too!

Guess I have to edit the original post with an update.
My GAS has seriously increased for the mk3 controller. It’s not helped by the fact that I’ve moved to Ableton recently and the mixer sucks! Sound on Sound landed at my door recently including a review of the mk3 which I think must be a sign ;)

Good news re the Clipper being added. Hope the shape section can be placed where you want in the chain..

Yes you have full control of most DSP processes and where they go, right from the hardware. It's as simple as pressing a button, choosing the effect (with the volume dial, the red right most encoder), moving it and pressing the "ok/yes/solo" button.

The only processes you can not move, which I wish was NOT the case, is the preamp section and the drive section. Those are always first and last in the chain.

If you have the chance to test drive or borrow a MK3 controller I highly recommend doing that first. Or at the very least, first check the used market and see how much they go for. If you do purchase one, try to get a good deal on it and then make sure you keep the original box and all packaging! This way you can then sell the thing as mint condition with original box and only loose maybe 200$ on it.. so if you use it for 2 months and then sell it you can consider it a 100$/month rental.

Oh and make sure you get the FULL functionality in your DAW. Reaper which is my main DAW has full functionality. Most of the major DAWs that have proper VST3 support should give full mk3 functionality.

Synthman2000 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:02 pm Just make sure you don't modulate your ring when clipping your widener that's all. :tu:
Yep...troll...Blocked!

bmanic wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:05 pm Yes you have full control of most DSP processes and where they go, right from the hardware. It's as simple as pressing a button, choosing the effect (with the volume dial, the red right most encoder), moving it and pressing the "ok/yes/solo" button.

The only processes you can not move, which I wish was NOT the case, is the preamp section and the drive section. Those are always first and last in the chain.

If you have the chance to test drive or borrow a MK3 controller I highly recommend doing that first. Or at the very least, first check the used market and see how much they go for. If you do purchase one, try to get a good deal on it and then make sure you keep the original box and all packaging! This way you can then sell the thing as mint condition with original box and only loose maybe 200$ on it.. so if you use it for 2 months and then sell it you can consider it a 100$/month rental.

Oh and make sure you get the FULL functionality in your DAW. Reaper which is my main DAW has full functionality. Most of the major DAWs that have proper VST3 support should give full mk3 functionality.
Thanks for the tips. Problem is - I’ve already bought one :). April PRS landed so decided it’s a good time! I had all the strips except API with the mk1 controller but sold them all with my unit. Shame - quite fancy having the XL9000K..

Don’t fear - I keep every box for everything. Drives the Missus nuts because the loft is jammed with them!

Also, been using the Clipper lots. Love it.

Well then, congratulations on the purchase! So far I've been really happy with my unit. I just finished a mix for a local indie band's EP. Console 1 mk3 was in the main role in getting a rough mix going. Then using individual plugins for all the fine tuning.

Good to hear - the workflow is the main reason I want this.
You’re partially to blame for the impulsive purchase! I haven’t got the unit yet because KMR had the best deal but discovered they’re out of stock after I splashed the cash. Stock back in 29th April!!
Means I can get some work done before it arrives :)

hmm lots of interesting info, thanks.
I found an mk2 for 200$ and I decided to buy it. gonna get it soon, don't tell me it was a bad idea :D

I really liked the idea of switching among different consoles and immediately hear how your mix sounds..
Im gonna have the british and ssl 4k strips, but looking forward to get more on sale or 2nd hand, any advice?
I'm looking for something that sounds good on synths and electro, without having to assign custom plugs like UAD distressor, LAs, pull and tube, fabfilter stuff or plugins external to console.

I know that mk3 is supposed to be nicer but it would cost me 4x. What I thought is that the mk2 is gonna make a great controller for ableton live too, just with the ability to switch among tracks with one click, and adjust immediately the basic EQ and comp all staged, paired with a controller with motorized faders.

Return to “Effects”