Logic Pro 11 is announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 pm Yeah can't say I'm that excited about the players either
I just tried out a more regular song and the players are good at creating a suitable structure to go with the lyrics. When the purpose is songwriting, I think many people will find them useful.

Most of my music is sans vocals and more ambient and in that case, the players are of no interest (and I use Bitwig for that anyway). But when I write songs, I'll use the players. I appreciate just focusing on the songwriting.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:03 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:01 pm
Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm
I don't know how hard they might have tried to make it work, but I don't blame them in the slightest for giving up.
The Intel CPU's don't have the Neural Engine...
Yes, I specifically pointed that out in the post you quoted:
Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm hardware acceleration capabilities ("NPUs") that their Intel machines simply didn't have
Exactly... I was adding to what you said, not disagreeing.

Ploki wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm So many new features are aimed at people who dont really know music.

It’s okay keep that, but throw the professionals a bone ffs
Lol I have the exact opposite problem with Digital Performer. The new features are almost always geared towards people doing orchestral etc. I want them to clean up the UX like Logic, Bitwig a bit but they and their base aren't that interested.
I would bet the nerdier stuff comes out for Logic over the course of the year. They have to "wow" the beatmakers at first.

Ploki wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 pm Again, for hobbyists to split backing tracks. Besides splitting is available free anywhere gor a while
Not necessarily, I just spent some cash on a service to be able to remix some badly mixed two track reel to reels from 30 years ago. It's sketchy at this point, but the tech does work, guitar and vocals were completely buried and now they aren't. Guitar is the new kid that Apple did not implement, making it useless for my purpose, but if all you were wanting is to kipe the drums from a track Logic does it pretty well.

machinesworking wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm So many new features are aimed at people who dont really know music.

It’s okay keep that, but throw the professionals a bone ffs
Lol I have the exact opposite problem with Digital Performer. The new features are almost always geared towards people doing orchestral etc. I want them to clean up the UX like Logic, Bitwig a bit but they and their base aren't that interested.
I would bet the nerdier stuff comes out for Logic over the course of the year. They have to "wow" the beatmakers at first.
Hope so. I’d really like “chunks” and something like FL Studio patcher.
And decent waveform rendering ffs
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 pm Again, for hobbyists to split backing tracks. Besides splitting is available free anywhere gor a while
Not necessarily, I just spent some cash on a service to be able to remix some badly mixed two track reel to reels from 30 years ago. It's sketchy at this point, but the tech does work, guitar and vocals were completely buried and now they aren't. Guitar is the new kid that Apple did not implement, making it useless for my purpose, but if all you were wanting is to kipe the drums from a track Logic does it pretty well.
Spectralayers :)

Ploki wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm Spectralayers :)
It was a huge PITA really, the best company I found was AI-Lyd, but their guitar separation is just a slight increase in volume with synths and other melodic instruments still in the mix. So I ended up using a single guitar track from Gaudio Studio, who are interesting, but their stuff sounds a bit compressed and dull to me. Worked for guitar only. With in this case 1/4" tape, it's insane the amount of ducking happens in a mixdown. We have to use all these plugins in the digital world, but tape sort of naturally does it. The result is listening to the melodic tracks alone it's horrifying the amount of dropouts in volume it seems to have but once bass and drums are added in it sounds fine.

I've removed 11 for now. It's just a distraction with little relevance for me, at this point.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I won't discuss about it quality yet but question of workflow, I've found the integration of stems separation very effective and useful, done inside a process chain in both channel and master track !?

I had mixed results with that.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Not even remotely worth the 11 and exactly the wrong sign in terms of hoping for a bright Logic future. Add to this the Studio Bass plugin being pretty much unusable due to a CPU usage not even a complete orchestral project usually needs.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Ploki wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:20 am Generally old hobbyists over at facebook are pretty thrilled about the update because they can play their guitar and have a virtual band now.
Yes, I see it the same way. The difference is that previous DAWs were about presenting your music to others, but now it's about impressing yourself with it and through it ... therefore, the new direction is making music for yourself ... if others happen to like it, that’s just a bonus or lucky or ... marketing
Last edited by xbitz on Wed May 15, 2024 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I'm curious: does anybody do music production / running Logic Pro on a Mac Mini?

I thought about going that route, but I wonder how viable it is in light of the limited number of ports it has? Also, the base model only comes with 256 gb and 8 gigs of RAM. The next tier is significicantly more expensive and out of reach for me. The reason why I think about the Mac Mini: because it has the new M2 processor and I would love to switch to Logic Pro, since I think overall it is the best "bang for the buck" DAW in terms if included effects, instruments, samples and features.

Currently I have a PC tower, but it's getting old. It has plenty of USB ports and other connections. With the Mac mini I would only be able to connect my mouse and keyboard (or I might have to get wireless ones) and all the available USB ports would be gone (I would probably have to get a wireless keyboard and mouse instead).

With only 256 gb of SSD space, I would also have to add an external drive for samples and to save projects and probably another harddrive for backups.

So I wonder, how practicable is music production on a Mac mini (base model). Anyone with experience, please chime in.

Really, it depends on your needs.
It’s viable.
Sample libraries will be hard, CPU is great.

"I'm curious: does anybody do music production / running Logic Pro on a Mac Mini?"

^^^ back then, I also considered it, but what I really didn't like was its cooling strategy, so I didn't buy it,
Limitations and Considerations
Compact Size:

Due to its small size, the Mac Mini has less space for airflow compared to larger desktops. This can limit its ability to dissipate heat quickly during heavy, sustained workloads.

Single Fan:

The Mac Mini typically uses a single fan for cooling, which might not be as effective as the multi-fan setups found in some high-performance desktops. This can lead to higher temperatures under heavy load.

Limited Upgradability:

Unlike larger desktops, the Mac Mini has limited options for upgrading its cooling system. Users cannot easily add more fans or switch to a more powerful cooling solution.

+

Dynamic Adjustment:

When the CPU reaches a critical temperature threshold, the system dynamically reduces the CPU clock speed to lower the temperature. This helps prevent overheating and potential hardware damage.

Impact on Performance

Real-Time Applications:

Applications requiring real-time processing, such as music production software (e.g., Logic Pro, Ableton Live, FL Studio), can be significantly impacted by thermal throttling. Reduced CPU speed can lead to audio crackling, dropouts, and increased latency.
- chatGTP :)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:08 am "I'm curious: does anybody do music production / running Logic Pro on a Mac Mini?"

^^^ back then, I also considered it, but what I really didn't like was its cooling strategy, so I didn't buy it,
Limitations and Considerations
Compact Size:

Due to its small size, the Mac Mini has less space for airflow compared to larger desktops. This can limit its ability to dissipate heat quickly during heavy, sustained workloads.

Single Fan:

The Mac Mini typically uses a single fan for cooling, which might not be as effective as the multi-fan setups found in some high-performance desktops. This can lead to higher temperatures under heavy load.

Limited Upgradability:

Unlike larger desktops, the Mac Mini has limited options for upgrading its cooling system. Users cannot easily add more fans or switch to a more powerful cooling solution.

+

Dynamic Adjustment:

When the CPU reaches a critical temperature threshold, the system dynamically reduces the CPU clock speed to lower the temperature. This helps prevent overheating and potential hardware damage.

Impact on Performance

Real-Time Applications:

Applications requiring real-time processing, such as music production software (e.g., Logic Pro, Ableton Live, FL Studio), can be significantly impacted by thermal throttling. Reduced CPU speed can lead to audio crackling, dropouts, and increased latency.
- chatGTP :)
It's really not an issue on M chips. MBAs are fanless and rarely throttle.
Even on my 16" M1 Pro, the fans rarely go over 1500RPM and most of the time they're off.

The cooling accomodates both GPU and CPU and my fans kick off mostly when doing GPU + CPU intensive stuff.
I can even play games without fans going over 2000RPM.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”