a guitar instrumental

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I suppose this is a Bad Company/Zeppelin meets Ayreon sort of thing. Kinda sloppy in spots, but tight in spots, too.

For a piece under three minutes, it does move through quite a few rooms. There's a neat backwards guitar solo in the climax that I worked on a lot.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rt130ncxff.mp3

If anyone would like to compose and record new solos for it (on any instrument), I'm willing to render out a version with none of my melodies in it.

not my cup of tea in this style at all but some really nice playing.

could i have a version without the drums to mess about with ?

8)

cheers,

steve.

+1

you dirty bitch. :hihi:

instantly reminded me of cinnamon girl, but not for long.

loved the slide(?) guitar from 2:06

is that jamstix? might want to work a little harder to disguise it. :oops:

post yer wavs. :)

clueless wrote:+1

you dirty bitch. :hihi:

instantly reminded me of cinnamon girl, but not for long.

loved the slide(?) guitar from 2:06

is that jamstix? might want to work a little harder to disguise it. :oops:

post yer wavs. :)
Thanks!

No jamstix...all programmed by hand except for a fill here and there stolen from an FLS FPC pattern.

how odd! sounded just like js to me. :oops:

clueless wrote:how odd! sounded just like js to me. :oops:
I think I tend to over-variate things and thow in accents all over the place which probably makes it sound less groovy than it should--which is exactly what I imagine a tool like jamstix would do (it might be great, though).

I love to progam rock drumming. I would feel cheated if I used a composing tool, though I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I'm uploading a NoDrums and a NoSolos version, but it'll take a while. Maybe in an hour or so.

Shane Sanders wrote:I think I tend to over-variate things and thow in accents all over the place which probably makes it sound less groovy than it should--which is exactly what I imagine a tool like jamstix would do (it might be great, though).
nail/head. it IS great, but tweaking/luck plays a significant part in it.

anyway. wavs? :)

*edit* just saw your last post. how about just a no drums upload too?

The tempo is 120 bpm. If anyone downloads one or both of these, please let me know about the result of what you make. These are untouched in terms of any mastering. A bit of limiting and compression will be necessary to get things popping. Thanks.

no drums (the dead air at the beginning is where the fill was--it's still precisely 120 bpm)
http://www.box.net/shared/static/k93vpzfh9v.wav

no solos
http://www.box.net/shared/static/pjeurb3b70.wav

rooms alright,the guitar parts are all just so cool,idea from the higher harmonic brush on the guitar,just at the right time,so many riffs and hooks in this,the deepest guitar parts are awesome

downloaded for when i get enough of a break from wiping shit off things to actually have a go at it. :)

Nice... how did you record the guitars? drums are what? processed in what way? I think you could of streached out more with the solos. Peace stbede

ha ha ha that no drums version is total shred

fateamenabletochange wrote:rooms alright,the guitar parts are all just so cool,idea from the higher harmonic brush on the guitar,just at the right time,so many riffs and hooks in this,the deepest guitar parts are awesome
Thanks! :)

stbede wrote:Nice... how did you record the guitars? drums are what? processed in what way? I think you could of streached out more with the solos. Peace stbede
Guitars are all done direct into a laptop with an Ibanez ARC300 with a set of Seymour Duncan jazz humbucker pickups. The Cinnamon girl riff at the beginning is through FreeAmp2 using its phasor and wah (I automated the wah manually later) to get all the squishy timed stuff happening.

The rest of the guitar parts are going through ManyMiniAmp amp and cabinet simulator, with each part with its own amp and fussy EQ settings--I used DFX Skidder to get the nice warbly tremelo on the all-harmonics pattern. When I came up with that part, I started to feel good about the piece because it was the ideal foil to the heavier parts and a nice bridge between the synth parts.

For a few notes that went below standard tuning, I took advantage of FLS great pitch shifting and sliced them out. That gave me the unique timbres and decays on some of those really low notes (which are being doubled by a deep and fairly sine-y bass).

I agree about the solos. I'm really not very good at leads or melody in general, and this guitar has 13s on it right now and I'm out of practice (fingers were getting sore right as I was ready to record those parts). It was work to even get what I got! I'm hoping some of the more melodic people will come up with something better. For me, the backwards solo is the highlight. It felt like the right blend of tone and phrasing for that crucial climax.

Return to “Music Cafe”