Puzzled over key mapping

Official support for: chineekong.com & kongaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the manual it says that using the "semi" button on the layer page will cause the keyboard range to extend. Sure enough the "white" region on the keyboard gets bigger, but the notes remain silent and restricted to the range they were in before.

So I am confused as to what exactly this is doing? Is it possible to extend the sound to a lower octave?

By the way, also, at present, I can get the instrument to sound by playing the keys on the image of the instrument, but my keyboard controller is not triggering the instrument. This seems different from most other vsts which play from the keyboard immediately upon loading...is there a step I am missing?

Hi lightpanther,

1. The note range is limited to the subset's original mapping. User's operation would only affect the note range 'within' the original mapping, not beyond, even though it appears to be extended.

2. Are you talking about QIN RV? or QIN v1.0? or the MINI plugs? Be sure your keyboard/host/plugin's MIDI channel settings match each other. In QIN RV, if you load multiple instruments, each is assigned to different MIDI channels automatically. You can change the channel manually.

I'm using FL studio, it's the china package (erhu, kong, pipa etc) I also have Nan Xiao.

I'm having some difficulty understanding how to obtain expression with the plugins, even after reading the manual.

For example, on Pipa, how do you get "roll" to apply to different notes in real time? On the "01 sus_leg_roll" layer for instance, the roll only appears on transition from G to A in one of the octaves.

I also tried to assign the modulation wheel, but without success so far as I can see.

So you are still using QIN v1.0. You should upgrade to QIN RV...

That aside, the design of the patch is the same here in QIN v1.0 and QIN RV. Just play the notes in legato and the "Rolling" will be triggered. Neat, innit? :)

BTW, using QIN RV in fruity can be a bit tricky though. You will need to check the FL help file to see how to work with multitimbral instruments. In the past it involves using the MIDIOUT generator due to gol's strong belief in that workflow. Not sure whether it's changed in the later versions of FLS or not...

Anthony, I'm not really sure what you mean?

I only got these instruments a short few weeks ago and am just trying to learn them now. Are you saying there has been a major upgrade since then?

As I said, I was playing notes in legato right the way up and down the range...but the roll only triggers from G ---> A in one of the octaves. Sorry, perhaps I wasn't specific enough in detailing the problem.

OK, it seems you didn't receive the update news we just sent out last week...:) Just send me a PM here with your name/email used for purchase and I'll reply to you with the links.

*No worries. Even though the new QIN RV is rewritten from scratch, the core operation design is the same, you will have no trouble using the new version. You can export your patches and re-import into QIN RV as *.fxp and retain the same result (must use QIN's inbuilt fxp system for the export/import).

As for your question: I'm still not sure what you mean. We skipped the less used notes for the "roll" expression, so it's normal that the upper or lower notes are without the "roll" expression.

Hi Anthony.

I mean quite literally that I can only get the roll effect to sound on one note and one note only...the transition from G to A in one of the octaves.

I am quite prepared to accept that I am probably doing something wrong, or (more likely) not doing something right, and this something might be very basic and therefore stupid of me not to be doing.

But if so, the problem is, right now, I don't know what that "something that I'm not doing" is. It's driving me nuts. Is it not the case, in the layer that I mentioned, that the legato should sound *automatically* if you hold down the first note and then play the second...no matter what the note transition is? I don't understand why it is only working for me from G to A, and from G to A alone...nowhere else.

Try to hit the notes a tad harder...as you can see from the velocity mapping, the "roll" expression is triggered only when the velocity is above 101-127 in this "01 sus_leg_roll" patch. Note this is coupled with the legato mode logic, so it can be confusing if you are not aware of both rules are at work here. It's fairly straightforward once you know the logic.

*BTW, one good thing about QIN engine is that you can customize it to fit your own playing style. You can play with the settings and make it more comfortable for you. Remember to save the fxp though.

Thank you for that Anthony. The velocity map thing was the issue. I was having to hit the keys almost as hard as hammers to get the roll. One of my "A" keys has a velocity fault, thus it was triggering the roll every time.

I still have issues. On the plugin interface, the pitch bend moves a whole tone in either direction, but when I move the pitch bend wheel on my keyboard it only moves 200 *cents* in either direction and you can see the wheel on the erhu interface moving just a fraction to reflect this. Is there a setting for this somewhere. "bend" on the interface is set to 2 (semis).

lightpanther wrote: I still have issues. On the plugin interface, the pitch bend moves a whole tone in either direction, but when I move the pitch bend wheel on my keyboard it only moves 200 *cents* in either direction and you can see the wheel on the erhu interface moving just a fraction to reflect this. Is there a setting for this somewhere. "bend" on the interface is set to 2 (semis).
Is this happening in QIN RV 2.0?

BTW, here's a screenshot illustration of the ModWheel Extender. This should help you understand how to assign the subsets in the ModWheel Extender.

sosayweall wrote:BTW, here's a screenshot illustration of the ModWheel Extender. This should help you understand how to assign the subsets in the ModWheel Extender.

I'm talking about the pitch bend wheel above. Is there a way to post a Jing video here and I'll show you? The Kong interface says two semis, but when I move the pitch bend wheel on my controller, it only moves 200 cents of a tone in either direction. Only getting this behavior with the Chinee instruments.

lightpanther wrote: I'm talking about the pitch bend wheel above. Is there a way to post a Jing video here and I'll show you? The Kong interface says two semis, but when I move the pitch bend wheel on my controller, it only moves 200 cents of a tone in either direction. Only getting this behavior with the Chinee instruments.
Hi lightpanther,

My above reply about Modwheel assignment was addressing an earlier question you raised which I missed:
I also tried to assign the modulation wheel, but without success so far as I can see.
As for the pitchbend matter:

We finally understood your question (I think). It's like this, the design of QIN only allows 1200 cents pitchbend. Since QIN is strictly a sample-playback plugin designed to play realistic sampled instruments, there really isn't too much a room for a wide range pitch-bending, hence the design limitation.

Hope this explains it.

sosayweall wrote:
lightpanther wrote: I'm talking about the pitch bend wheel above. Is there a way to post a Jing video here and I'll show you? The Kong interface says two semis, but when I move the pitch bend wheel on my controller, it only moves 200 cents of a tone in either direction. Only getting this behavior with the Chinee instruments.
Hi lightpanther,

My above reply about Modwheel assignment was addressing an earlier question you raised which I missed:
As for the pitchbend matter:

We finally understood your question (I think). It's like this, the design of QIN only allows 1200 cents pitchbend. Since QIN is strictly a sample-playback plugin designed to play realistic sampled instruments, there really isn't too much a room for a wide range pitch-bending, hence the design limitation.

Hope this explains it.
Hi Anthony.

I haven't ran the upgrade yet (is there a time limit on it?). The reason for this is that I'm in the middle of making a track featuring several of the Kong instruments. Especially in view of what you said in another post above (about potential problems with Fruity) I'm frankly a bit anxious about making that change while I'm in the middle of working on something, because if it goes to a bad state, I'm not sure how I'd get it back.

With respect to the pitch bend, 1200 cents (more than a tone, right?) would be more than enough for me. At the moment I am only getting 200 cents. What is the setting within the instrument that enables me to increase this to a 1000? Thanks.

Return to “Kong Audio”