TAL U-NO-LX vs. DIVA

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva TAL-U-No-LX

as im narrowing down my shopping list i have to ask you who got more experiences than me :D, i like the TAL one but as i wanna get DIVA (too) i wanted to ask how those 2 are compared to each other?
if diva includes the TAL juno already or if TAL has some uniqueness?

Caine123 wrote:as im narrowing down my shopping list i have to ask you who got more experiences than me :D, i like the TAL one but as i wanna get DIVA (too) i wanted to ask how those 2 are compared to each other?
DIVA has the Juno oscillator, but that's it. It's not a perfect emulation. DIVA has modules from the Juno, the Jupiter-8, the Jupiter-6, the MS-10 and MS-20 and the Minimoog (and soon two others), but does not intend to be a perfect emulation of any of these.
TAL U-NO-LX is a perfect emulation of the Juno-60. So, if you want the Juno-60, go for it. If you want to have several variations on the "vintage analog" theme, go for DIVA.
Fernando (FMR)

I can't speak for Diva but the Tal is a exact emulation of a Juno 60. That's all it does but it does it wonderfully.

Diva on the other hand is a lot more versatile but but it not an exact emulation of any synth. I've heard it sounds rather good though.

If you like the minimoog sound then the answer is Monark. Best minimoog emulation by far.

Caine123 wrote:as im narrowing down my shopping list i have to ask you who got more experiences than me :D, i like the TAL one but as i wanna get DIVA (too) i wanted to ask how those 2 are compared to each other?
get both Diva and Tal U-No-LX, add to that Monark. your probably set, however if you want to add another one - OP-X Pro II: Massive preset/vintage library with very low cpu. Spend anymore you might as well get some hardware...

I have owned both a Juno 60 and 106 in the past. The Tal U-No-LX is a much better Juno emu than Diva. Like Lush 101, Diva has a great rich sound but comes with a price (CPU use) too high. Both TAL and Diva have VH Jump presets which can't come close to the one on OP-X Pro II (windows only). Another great Juno emu is the Juno-6 in Reaktor which I like better than Diva.

Even though I have a synth farm via Vienna Ensemble Pro, I am now rejecting CPU bloated synths like Diva and Lush 101 in favor of great sounding low cpu synths like Tal U-No-LX, Sylenth, Saurus, Massive and Zebra. Also using Rompler/Synths like Omnisphere, Nexus and Alchemy more. There is also an excellent Juno soundset for Omnisphere from Plughugger - http://www.plughugger.com/spectrasonics ... deity.html

The TAL is a great and very precise Juno emulation - for those who care about such things. It is a wonderful synth, and I use it a lot (along with Bassline) when I'm looking for those simple (some detractors might say: simplistic), pure synth tones of yore. But really: unless you're incredibly anal about emulations, you'd be a fool to pick these over Diva, a synth that gives you gorgeous analogue tone coupled with the ability to do some serious, modern sound design. There are only so many ways to combine square, saw and noise oscillators and a simple filter, with very limited mod options at your disposal.

I would say: get all three, cause they're certainly worth it, but if you have to choose - see above.

breakmixer wrote: get both Diva and Tal U-No-LX, add to that Monark. your probably set, however if you want to add another one - OP-X Pro II: Massive preset/vintage library with very low cpu. Spend anymore you might as well get some hardware...
This is good advice for ITB producers trying to get an analog sound. I'd only add an SH-101 type synth (e.g., TAL, Lush, or Strobe). Also, Arturia SEM is a good alternative to OP-X Pro for mac users who want an Oberheim emulation.

For some Diva owners, U-NO-LX and Monark might be redundant if they have never used the hardware and aren't looking for a perfect emulation of said hardware. That being said, I've never used an actual minimoog, but I still want Monark even though I have Diva. :D

I agree.. Tal is a nice synth and probably the most accurate emulation of the Juno 60. But if it comes to a synth of 2013, Diva is a lot more versatile and combines a analog sound with modern features.
If it must be the Juno 60 sound than without doubt Tal but also if a easy to use synth with not so many features is important. But for me... it's the Diva :P

C-note wrote:I have owned both a Juno 60 and 106 in the past. The Tal U-No-LX is a much better Juno emu than Diva. Like Lush 101, Diva has a great rich sound but comes with a price (CPU use) too high. Both TAL and Diva have VH Jump presets which can't come close to the one on OP-X Pro II (windows only). Another great Juno emu is the Juno-6 in Reaktor which I like better than Diva.

Even though I have a synth farm via Vienna Ensemble Pro, I am now rejecting CPU bloated synths like Diva and Lush 101 in favor of great sounding low cpu synths like Tal U-No-LX, Sylenth, Saurus, Massive and Zebra. Also using Rompler/Synths like Omnisphere, Nexus and Alchemy more. There is also an excellent Juno soundset for Omnisphere from Plughugger - http://www.plughugger.com/spectrasonics ... deity.html
I totally agree, when I hit a simple chord and the CPU meter jumps to 50% on the modern PC I built just last year (6-core processor etc.), it is absurd. It is like driving a Ferrari in Hongkong :roll: I don't take part in that plugin arms race, several synths that use just 1/10 as much CPU sound almost as good, more than good enough for my needs...

Aubrey Lamont wrote:
breakmixer wrote: get both Diva and Tal U-No-LX, add to that Monark. your probably set, however if you want to add another one - OP-X Pro II: Massive preset/vintage library with very low cpu. Spend anymore you might as well get some hardware...
This is good advice for ITB producers trying to get an analog sound. I'd only add an SH-101 type synth (e.g., TAL, Lush, or Strobe). Also, Arturia SEM is a good alternative to OP-X Pro for mac users who want an Oberheim emulation.

For some Diva owners, U-NO-LX and Monark might be redundant if they have never used the hardware and aren't looking for a perfect emulation of said hardware. That being said, I've never used an actual minimoog, but I still want Monark even though I have Diva. :D
I'm interested to try Monark - the demo's sound good, but N.I's are quite polished using effects so not hearing the raw sound. Not that I need it - but like to try out all these emulations to see how close they are getting.

There seems to be a trade with sound v's cpu though with these modern emu's. I personally don't like these high cpu vst's, OPX-Pro II and Tal stuff is good sound with low CPU, Xils Lab V+(VST 3 version only) is low cpu, but Oxium, Diva(Demo) & Lush-101(now sold) killed my CPU. I bet Monark is high CPU - cannot demo it though!

Just as a reminder: Diva offers 4 real-time and off-line quality modes that can be set separately, not to mention multi-core support that really reduces the CPU load. If you have a fairly modern multi-core CPU, you'd be hard-pressed to encounter a limit while playing in draft mode. And don't be fooled: U-NO-LX and Bassline both can eat a lot of CPU as well. And they don't give you the option to adjust the quality.

Diva is certainly NOT the most CPU intensive synth. That's a myth. Play in draft, render in divine. What's the big deal?

What I don't get from your post is whether you want a Juno emulation, or just looking for a fun synth. As pointed out, as a straight emulation, TAL is excellent. DIVA is far more versatile, but also much heavier on CPU. I once thought about getting U-NO-LX, but didn't need the exact emulation and found that I could make a good approximation of the sounds in U-NO-LX with Fabfilters Twin2 (btw, I'm not implying that Twin2 sounds exactly the same, just close enough for my needs). Especially since TAL is so kind to offer us the chorus unit of the Juno for free. As such, I decided against it. That's different though for the Bassline 101, which I had to have. But then again, I also found the real 101 more interesting than the Juno.

To answer the question, if you already want to get DIVA, but you're not after an exact Juno emulation, I wouldn't get U-NO-LX, it seems a bit overkill. However, if you've used U-NO-LX and enjoyed playing with it, why not just get it, music is much more about inspiration. If a synth can give you that, I wouldn't care so much if it overlaps with other synths you might have.

Basically saying the same thing some others have said... I don't care that much if a softsynth is an exact replication of a classic analogue synth so much as it captures the sound quality and aliveness. However, if I were to want an exact emulation, the Juno 60 would not be it.

The TAL is an impressive emulation and for the price you just cannot go wrong with it.

Diva is for me a marvelous mix of analogue goodness and modern flexibility and sound design range. Diva sounds flat out gorgeous and has all kinds of character when pushed.

C-note wrote: Even though I have a synth farm via Vienna Ensemble Pro, I am now rejecting CPU bloated synths like Diva and Lush 101 in favor of great sounding low cpu synths like Tal U-No-LX, Sylenth, Saurus, Massive and Zebra. Also using Rompler/Synths like Omnisphere, Nexus and Alchemy more.
:tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote: I totally agree, when I hit a simple chord and the CPU meter jumps to 50% on the modern PC I built just last year (6-core processor etc.), it is absurd. It is like driving a Ferrari in Hongkong :roll: I don't take part in that plugin arms race, several synths that use just 1/10 as much CPU sound almost as good, more than good enough for my needs...
:tu:

:clap:
No auto tune...

thanks a lot mates, so all in all i should be able to do the same/nearly the same sounds with DIVA from TAL? ;D from a non-pro sound designer.

Return to “Instruments”