Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Not many S1 threads lately, so here's some love:

I love Studio One!

Hater's gonna hate...
Blue Phase Music

i don't use it as much as i thought, i'd do, but i think it's an elegant host, which serves me well, when i record 'real' instruments and vox.
Ableton Live gets a lot more attention, because i'm a sound mangler and vsti freak and Live is better equipped for midi. anyway, Studio One is a lot more stable than Live.
"It dreamed itself along"

Lovers gonna love! :)

Wish it had some type of arrangement/sketch features. (Ableton's Session View; Reason's Blocks, etc...)

My biggest gripe is that it is a complete CPU hog; and I have a 3770k. I am willing to pay the price though; it's an incredible DAW.

I hate hating.
I love loving.

I love little baby ducks,
old pick up trucks,
slow moving trains
and rain.

And I love S1, X2, AL9 and even BWS if they'd get it released :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan

n/m

Yeah, s1 has problems like any host, but mostly it's terrific.

And to add, it's nice to see S1 being talked about squeezed in somewhere between the cubase threads :hihi:

Not being talked about much means either: People are happy -or- don't care.
I think S1 is pretty awesome!

Me: Happy :wink:

I bought S1 Producer on sale in August and have been using it for OSCs since. It didn't play well with mono/fury, but when it works, it works well. While I agree a sketch workflow would be nice, the loop region often does the trick. Like many on this forum, I believe in horses for courses. I'll probably still use Live for sketching, jamming on new VSTs, that sort of thing.

S1 is the best looking DAW I've used, though I have only used Acid, Live, Reaper, and a really old Cakewalk. Now that I'm familiar with the UI, I really like it. That hand icon for attaching automation is quite... handy... :roll:

I'm a bit disappointed with S1's automation. Acid's per control point easing functions map precisely to how I think about automation. It may be the one feature that Acid does better than everyone else. S1 offers decent tools for generating and manipulating automation control points, but editing the end points of a function is much cleaner than transforming dozens of generated points. Still better than Live 8 automation, though.

I'm quite impressed with the built-in FX. Quality seems fine, UI and presets are great, and they have pro touches like in-channel compact view the EQ's scope. Maybe all modern DAWs have these things, I dunno.

As for CPU, its indeed a hog. Does anyone know of a way to globally switch all fx between perf and quality modes? Even an automation macro sort of approach would help.

Love it. I'm a linear arrangement guy, and S1 works nicely for me.

Minus :
- More midi tools please.
- CPU hog indeed.
- Insufficient first party stuff for me.

Plus :
- Best workflow for me.
- Melodyne ARA.
musisikamar.com

My favorite DAW.
I like too how they have integrated Melodyne and hope that they will do something nice with Notion. From my opinion this is a good way to do instead of trying to develop from scratch.

SWallace wrote:Lovers gonna love! :)

Wish it had some type of arrangement/sketch features. (Ableton's Session View; Reason's Blocks, etc...)

My biggest gripe is that it is a complete CPU hog; and I have a 3770k. I am willing to pay the price though; it's an incredible DAW.
I can't see why it would have a large ram/cpu footprint. I have an old Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows XP, an Intel core2duo and 2gb memory and I have no problem running 20 tracks and a pile of plugs. :shock:

It does need more midi functionality as mentioned earlier though. Also, in 2.6, the crossfade function is broken. :cry:

Otherwise - I love it! Reaper runs a close second for me... I sure others would flip that over and that's cool too! 8)
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

I might fall in love with Studio One when it matures to version 3.

imho. it needs a better makeup job. Hopefully they will give it a major beauty treatment in V3. , more MIDI tools., and better sounding Instruments.

For now. Cubase 7 is my DAW of choice. But I'm very excited, and looking forward to use S1-Ver. 3

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Muziksculp wrote:I might fall in love with Studio One when it matures to version 3.

imho. it needs a better makeup job. Hopefully they will give it a major beauty treatment in V3. , more MIDI tools., and better sounding Instruments.

For now. Cubase 7 is my DAW of choice. But I'm very excited, and looking forward to use S1-Ver. 3

Cheers,
Muziksculp
The L&F is a personal thing, not unlike your favorite color. It just so happens that my favorite color is ice blue, so I'm OK with that.

I'll agree that the MIDI implementation is relatively weak. I think the included Presonus native instruments are as good as any DAW. In fact they give you a few piece from Native Instruments and the Presonus Sample One instrument is uber cool. I can load any clip/event into this instrument and have it on a track and ready to audition and record with a single keystroke.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

I tried the demo for S1, and my conclusion is I love Cubase 5.

bluedad wrote:I tried the demo for S1, and my conclusion is I love Cubase 5.
I owned S1 v2 Producer twice and my conclusion is I love Sonar X3. :D

S1 is a nice DAW. Some things about it just really bugged me, though, particularly the automation and the fact that track orders in the console and arrange views don't stay in sync - most idiotic and annoying "feature" I've ever seen in a DAW. I really do like the way it handles MIDI controllers and its ability to create custom layouts for them - I'd kill for some of those features in Sonar.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”