Limited availability of the first LinnStruments

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first production units of the LinnStrument are ready!

Before the general release, we’re selling a small number of units to residents of the San Francisco bay area.

Contact support@rogerlinndesign.com if you’re interested!
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Got mine yesterday. Spent about an hour with Roger and Neil (sp?), who went through Linnstrument features. My Linnstrument is connected via USB to a Dell XPS18 tablet, which, in turn, is connected via audio to a Roland KC110 keyboard amp. The Dell and the Roland are connected to mains power, but both the tablet and amp can run on batteries, so I can play anywhere untethered.

On the software side, I am using a demo version of Bitwig, which recognized the Linnstrument as a MIDI input device. I went to the options/preferences menu of Bitwig to see and select the Linnstrument. I was able to use the Linnstrument to drive SynPlant, Native-Instruments Ultimate 8 products including Kontakt, FM8, and Reaktor, and Chinese Orchestra FE (from Kong Audio). All this worked without a hitch.

I think of the Linnstrument as a love child of a Haken Continuum and an Ableton Push: I own one of each. All three (Linnstrument, Continuum, and Push) are elegantly designed products. The Continuum provided the 3-d per-note control genes, while the Push provided illuminated grid genes. I currently plan to keep the Continuum, but may sell the Push, as I find the Push's expressive capabilities limiting. The Continuum offers greater positional control, especially in the Y dimension and it has built in sounds. However, the illuminated surface of the Linnstrument makes it easier to track finger position.

The Linnstrument support page lists Mac and Windows synths that may be used polyphonically with the Linnstruments channel-per-note mode. I suspect that SampleWiz on the iPad will also support channel-per-note, as I was able to drive it with the Continuum. To use the Linnstrument with an iPad, the camera connection kit can be used to convert the proprietary Apple connector to USB. However, the Linnstrument will not be bus powered by the iPad. Roger gave me a power adapter to power the Linnstrument with an iPad. However, to remain AC free, I would purchase an external battery.

I have not had time to explore many of the features of the Linnstrument. Roger demonstrated vertical and horizontal strumming, which I will eventually put to good use. What I can say at this point is that, for my money, I got a great value in terms of design and musicality.

Thanks a lot for your write up ClifAnd2k, glad you're having a good first day. I'm the lead software engineer on the LinnStrument, feel free to reach out with any question that you might have. Fyi, the U-he synths work wonderfully well with the channel per note MIDI mode and on the iPad it's well worth trying out Wolfgang Palm's synths as well as ThumbJam, which respond to these messages perfectly as well. Since your visit to Roger, I've already made some improvements to the software with minor, but worthwhile changes that slipped through the cracks. If you want to try the new version out, feel free to reach out to me and I'll provide you with the latest version.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Thanks gbevin (Geert). I have been following your posts for Linnstrument for awhile and appreciation your contribution to the Linnstrument. Also, I like the "Linn S was here" demo. My understanding is that, for the time being, there is no way to install firmware updates using Windows. (Roger invited to come up his way for firmware updates.) Anyway, there is plenty of stuff for me to explore as is, so no hurry.

I checked out the synths listed on the Linnstrument website. I downloaded a demo of SynPlant, which is cool, but I have not found (grown) many sounds I like. The Specs of the U-he synths listed suggested did not sound promising. Zebra seems like it would work for me, but it was not listed on the Linnstrument website. If Zebra responds properly to note-per-channel, let me know. I might get it. Even not using all the expressive features, I find monophonic pitchbend using the same finger that initiated the node to be a big plus.

I'm approaching the 48 hour mark. I am using Chinese Orchestra from Kong Audio in Ableton Live. A GuZheng (Chinese Zither) is on the left split and a DiZi (Chinese Flute) is on the left split. I have used octave and light transpose to align key switches starting at the left of each split. The (different) colored LEDs make it easy to keep track of the split point. This is all great fun. I have used to low row for strums and arps, but I have reached the point where it sounds musical. My Linnstrument is approaching 48 hours old (from date of purchase).

Zebra does not have note per channel (yet, v3 hopefully will), but Ace, Bazille and Diva do, Ive not tested the others yet.
Also, its worth playing with polypressure too, which is much more widely supported.

be aware Ableton will not be good either, as it forces everything onto 1 channel per track, so a bit of a pain with multichannel instruments. (it also doesn't support poly pressure)

ClifAnd2k wrote:Thanks gbevin (Geert). I have been following your posts for Linnstrument for awhile and appreciation your contribution to the Linnstrument. Also, I like the "Linn S was here" demo. My understanding is that, for the time being, there is no way to install firmware updates using Windows. (Roger invited to come up his way for firmware updates.) Anyway, there is plenty of stuff for me to explore as is, so no hurry.
I just finished building a driver for Windows, you'll be able to install firmware updates by yourself, no problems.
ClifAnd2k wrote:I checked out the synths listed on the Linnstrument website. I downloaded a demo of SynPlant, which is cool, but I have not found (grown) many sounds I like. The Specs of the U-he synths listed suggested did not sound promising. Zebra seems like it would work for me, but it was not listed on the Linnstrument website. If Zebra responds properly to note-per-channel, let me know. I might get it. Even not using all the expressive features, I find monophonic pitchbend using the same finger that initiated the node to be a big plus.
I find Diva particularly inspiring and it has per-note expression. Do try out the demo, I really like it. Otherwise, if you're into more complex synths, give PPG WaveGenerator a try: http://wolfgangpalm.com/ppg-wavegenerat ... announced/
ClifAnd2k wrote:I'm approaching the 48 hour mark. I am using Chinese Orchestra from Kong Audio in Ableton Live. A GuZheng (Chinese Zither) is on the left split and a DiZi (Chinese Flute) is on the left split. I have used octave and light transpose to align key switches starting at the left of each split. The (different) colored LEDs make it easy to keep track of the split point. This is all great fun. I have used to low row for strums and arps, but I have reached the point where it sounds musical. My Linnstrument is approaching 48 hours old (from date of purchase).
Thanks for keeping us posted about your explorations, curious to hear what you're doing with it! If you get a chance to record a video, please do so. Just echoing thetechnobear's suggestions here, Ableton Live strips away MIDI channel information, so any per-note expression will be gone. It's not the best host to use with LinnStrument.

Today I took my Linnstrument and stuff to the Fremont Studio for The Academy of Chinese Performing Arts. I showed off the Linnstrument with a few Chinese instruments and a few people came by and were duly impressed. I can't actually play any music, but I can demo the technology. I hope to make a video eventually, but not this month. I have downloaded the Bitwig demo in response to the limitations of Ableton Live. However, I was not able to figure out how to implement a split in Bitwig; it came easier to me in Live. However, my Ableton Push may be pushed out the door: The Linnstrument is much better suited to what I like to do. My preferences are for physical modeling and modal synths, but I'll check out Diva and PPG WaveGenerator.

My only disappointment with the Linnstrument is that y-dimensional control is limited to 19mm. I suppose I could use a 0-note offset between the rows plus detailed programming to implement a two-octave continuum. On the other hand, I am intrigued by the channel-per-row mode and using different timbres for each instance of a note. I have a lot to explore; too bad I have to keep my day job.

bitwig is good and bad news…
bad news is, poly pressure has been 'hijacked' for their own internal instruments, this means you can assign it to their poly synths, but you cannot just send it to a vst. also their tracks are also single channel. this will be partially resolvable when 1.1 is released (expected beta in next 3-4 weeks)

good news, bigwigs implementation does, actually look quite suitable for multi channel controllers, and I've been discussing expressive controllers with them, and they do recognize the issues with both poly pressure, and the requirements to be able to do note per channel automation, and they are keen. the issue of course is being a new product, the wish list amongst users is huge, so how long it will be before they do anything about it is anyones guess.

im actively monitoring bitwig due to its 'potential', once its controller api has the features i need, I will look into producing a controller setup that will support expressive controllers as best as can be. (this will either be midi or osc, I've yet to decide)

personally, i use a bit of a combination of things depending what I'm up too:
Live (audio recording/looping), LPX (simple midi host), EigenD with Vienna Ensemble Pro (performance host), Max/Msp (more flexible performance host, possibly my eventual goal)
(Ive also been working on linking in Reaktor which offers a huge array of possibilities.)

To start off, for a no nonsense setup, really Logic Pro X on the Mac is hard to beat, as it simply passes midi straight thru. but of course its a linear daw, so may not be suitable for your needs.

i wouldn't chuck your Push, i use one with an eigenharp and its a great combo, the reasons are simple:
i) big buttons for clip launching (big target :))
ii) rotary encoders with LCD to display values.
iii) its live integration (and the same is in development for bitwig)
so whilst both (linnstrument/push) superficially are grid controllers, I think they cover quite different ground.
(I've never used/and wont use push, as an instrument, as i use my eigenharp or keyboard)

btw, keep an eye on madronalabs.com, the next release of Aalto/Kaivo, is planned to support note per channel. I love it with my eigenharp (which I've setup to use it with OSC)
heres, a quick bit of fun of me on the eigenharp with it: http://youtu.be/crQrq3xJtdc

Ableton Live
btw, it is possible to make it work with Live, as below, but you will see its a bit 'awkward', basically we do a multi timbral setup as follows:
a) linnstrument
a i) set to note per channel mode
a ii) make it send channel pressure per note (not poly pressure, this is important!)

b) Live
b i) create a midi track for VST to use, place VST on it. (i'll call this the 'instrument track')
b ii) create a midi track (i call this 'controller track')
input source linnstrument channel 1,
midi output to instrument track, track input 1.
b) iii) put controller track into a group
b) iv) duplicate above 'controller track' channel input to channel 2, output track input 2.
b iv) repeat b iv for tracks 3 -16

now, its possible to record midi by arming all the controller tracks. (you cannot do it on the instrument track), unfortunately, there is no group arm :( (you can use ClyphX/M4L to get around this though)
or of course you can just record the audio, if you want to do this, the easiest way is to just put monitor to IN on the controller inputs, so you don't need to arm them.

its a bit of a pain, but it works, and once you have done it once, its easy enough to copy the controller track group, for splits or other projects. and its not 'much worst' than you get with logic, which whilst easier to setup, doesn't support per channel recording any better really.
(to be honest, i usually just don't bother with midi recording, and do audio recording... multi channel midi plus per note expression just creates so much midi data, its not worth editing, easier just to play the piece again if you make a mistake :))

sorry, to 'hijack' , but hope its useful.

gbevin: all this is very helpful. It sounds like, long term, Bitwig will meet my needs: like Live, it should be good for performance and recording. I'll just look for workarounds until the desired features are actually implemented. I use Reaktor, so I will be interested in whatever you come up with for that environment.

I used to play folk (fingerpicking) guitar and, at best, I was ok at that. I think of my Linnstrument as a guitar that does not need tuning and offers a wider sonic pallette. It'll probably take a few years for me to become ok at playing the Linnstrument, tho. Since the Linnstrument is merely a controller, I need something that actually generates the sounds; currently I am using a Dell XPS 18 (18" tablet) and a keyboard amp (Roland KC110). For portability, I would like to minimize the need for the keyboard amp, so I am looking for the best sounding tablet/laptop. I am considering the upcoming HP Envy X2 with stereo front facing Beats audio speakers. Although I found the Push to be well designed and well built, it would not add enough to what I can do with a Linnstrument and touch screen tablet to be worth carrying around. I am considering using the Push with my Haken Continuum, which stays where it is.

Does Eigen D make sense as a VST host where the Linnstrument is the controller?

EigenD is the one that I use, I send the MIDI straight into the hosted VSTs. thetechnobear has an agent he's working on that leverages voice-per-channel, but with the LinnStrument firmware taking up so much of my time, I haven't had the chance yet to try it out.

Thanks, thetechnobear for the help with Ableton Live. Since I have a split working in Live, it's good to know how to leverage other Linnstrument features in Live.

Does anyone have an idea of when the 2nd batch instruments will be sold? Summer, 2015? Later? Earlier? This is a very cool instrument!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”