Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

An obvious baiting topic like this is inevitable so lets start now. With the arrival of Hive will you be saying goodbye to Sylenth?

Personally, i feel its been a case of you-snooze-you-lose. Sylenth was a good synth in its day, it still sounds good now, perhaps a little over-rated (IMO) but it has become dated. While i appreciate much of its charm came from its simplicity the fact that it hasn't had any significant updates in years means it has fallen behind. It hardly inspires confidence in users to see such a ubiquitous piece of software appear to be all-but-abandoned in terms of development.

On the other hand Urs has already stated several possible plans for the future of Hive and, judging by his other plugins at least, ongoing improvements are to be expected. Obviously we can't expect Hive to be as widely used as the-most-p***ted-plugin-ever but for those wanting to spend the money, it feels like a no-brainer between these two.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by mutantdog on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I just purchased Hive (and love it) but never used Sylenth so I guess I won't be needing to say hello to it before saying goodbye. ;)

mutantdog wrote:An obvious baiting topic...
Any thoughts?
IBTL? :hihi:

I compared Hive and Spire side by side with some similar patches earlier, and decided for me, that i prefer Spire's sound. Don't know, there's something about Hive's filter characteristics, and the envelopes which i feel is a bit displeasing. Sounds a bit harsh and dirty sometimes, and the envelopes sound a bit stump, don't know how else to describe it actually (found the same is the case in Dune 2). But then, that's just my subjective opinion, i wouldn't say the one of the other sounds "better", because there is no way to say that. They sound different, and i'm sure Sylenth will also sound very different, so i wouldn't know how one can replace the other. Hive is surely the more "modern" sounding synth, if that matters.

Out before the lock.

Sylenth was always too simple for me, I need more knobs and sliders, that's why I bought Synthmaster a few years ago.

Hive is tempting for $99 (if there weren't the 20 % VAT) but it still lacks something special, the waveforms and filter types are the usual suspects... :shrug:

If it had more waveforms or filter types (and would offer different, adjustable synthesis, not only "normal", "dirty" and "clean" switches), I'd buy it.

Tricky-Loops wrote:If it had more waveforms or filter types (and would offer different, adjustable synthesis, not only "normal", "dirty" and "clean" switches), I'd buy it.
I'm pretty sure Urs mentioned working on some additional filters for it. :) But of course, no one should buy something based on what *might* happen, we've all done that before and lived to complain about it eh. :hihi:

Sampleconstruct wrote:Out before the lock.
This is not the thread about the XILS Vocoder :!:

These new, powerful supersaws can cut through any lock.

Because?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Frantz wrote:
That made me lol!! :hihi:

So much attention for a silly post, just forget it.

AusDisciple wrote:
Frantz wrote:
That made me lol!! :hihi:
Yes, that was a good one.

Because there are already 3 threads about hive and hive v sylenth.... ???

I have all three. All three sound different from one another. I will be using all three.

Return to “Instruments”