You happy with Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

I think for the first time I see mixed reactions for studio One 3.3. It's seems like it's not as stable for some. Some feel it's becoming to bloated. Where you at with it? Do you like it? If so, why not. Do you like using Notion 6 with it? How about presonus hardware integration with Studio One, you like it? Just curious about this.

For the first time you're seeing mixed reactions?!

Hmm. Perhaps pay better attention, as there's plenty of people that have not (and do not) like S1.

What Robert said. If you can't find people unhappy with a product (any product really) on the net, you're probably not looking hard enough.

It works fine for me, but I'm certainly not the benchmark for the world.

Sorry but I'm a big fan, because I get things done in S1, which I didn't find in Cubase or Sonar, which always put the computer first before me. Maybe it's changed now. Dunno.

It's still easy to get to all my stuff, and 3.3 makes it even easier.

I'd like to know a daw that was as simple yet sophisticated, that wasn't an Ableton style pad/arranger type of machine - which is a genuine alternative to timeline sequencing.

If you use Kontakt a lot, then Presence loads miles faster, and has a basic but good soundset for quickly getting ideas out, which is critical.

S1 plugs are tremendous too - and comprehensive.

I can't comment on hw integration or Notation integration, but if someone was that sophisticated a user, I imagine there'd always be something not quite right. It's the nature of complexity.

+1 for S1

Looking forward to 3.5 to see how the VCA experiment works out. To date it's the only weird thing they've done.

Like LawrenceF says, I'm not a benchmark, but I've used midi since it was invented.

A better drum sequence editor would be nice too. Fingers crossed.

If any useful comments / things that need developing come out of this thread, it'd be good to post them to Presonus.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I like it just fine. I don't have any stability issues and enjoy the overall workflow. However, I'm on PC. Completely anecdotal observations have me thinking that folks on Macs are more likely to run into stability problems.

It's still a young DAW though. There are features that are extremely important to me that I hope get added in the near future such as 1) mixer undo, 2) a smart tool for MIDI, 3) improved tempo drawing, 4) a drum editor, 5) separate loop and punch ranges. That said, I'd rather workaround those issues than go back to working on Sonar, which had way more features but too many bugs for me to bother with (not looking to start a flame war or debate - I used it for years, these are my experiences alone and I'm glad if you like Sonar or if it's recently improved).

Kevvvvv, what's weird about the VCA feature? It's been great here. Love the VCA faders.

Not happy here since they crippled the artist version and gave no cheap upgrade for us that had V2 Producer.

The company is greedy in my view so i stopped suporting them.
Bought Presonus 1818vsl about a year ago too that they also destroyed with no more Direct monitoring or vsl software (which was the selling point for that product). :tantrum:

So my next soundcard purchase will be from someone else too.

I think my original comment could imply that I'm one of the people that dislike it. However, I use it very frequently as I think it's the best tool out there for editing of multi-track instrument recordings.

I will say that my opinion of S1v1 was very low. S1v2 was marginal at best. V2 worked for what I needed, but every time I went to use it for something other than multi-track edits, I became frustrated and annoyed.

S1v3.1/2 were exceptionally annoying and unstable. I also really hate drag&drop. The whole UI is designed to try and convince you to use drag&drop for everything, even though after some work you can figure out how to avoid it almost entirely.

S1v3.3 though... I'm starting to think that it's an amazing product. You can see more about my current observations here: http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... te-v3.html

You can also read more about my impressions of Studio One here:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... tiOne.html
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... eview.html
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... niOne.html
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... iOnes.html
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... anual.html
http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2016/ ... isOne.html

I really need to make those posts easily searchable or findable without browsing... :dog:

@ D-Fusion: Yeah, the VSL thing was unfortunate. :(

It was a really good idea, to control that stuff at a lower level in software, but Apple suddenly borked it on Mac. I don't know the full technical details but the lower level software thing it did was just (after a certain Mac OS) literally not possible anymore on Mac, so I think they also discontinued it on PC too for parity or whatever.

It still works with the older Mac OS and on Win with the older drivers I think though.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S1V3 ...it is a revolution ! (On paper only...) . Crash your mac , corrupt your saved session , poor reply from support.Buy s1V2 not v3 or Cubase (very stable under osx)

LawrenceF wrote:Yeah, the VSL thing was unfortunate. :(

It was a really good idea, to control that stuff at a lower level in software, but Apple suddenly borked it on Mac. I don't know the full technical details but the lower level software thing it did was just (after a certain Mac OS)[i/] literally not possible anymore on Mac, so I think they also discontinued it on PC too for parity or whatever.

It still works with the older Mac OS and on Win with the older drivers I think though.

True but they should atleast be able to add a enable direct monitoring option in the new Universal Control.
That would make me happy again :tu:

Mostly what Studio One V.3 did on my Mac was crash. And crash again. And crash some more.

Did I mention crashing? It crashed.... A LOT.

I eventually gave it the finger and sold it.

-M

mholloway wrote:Mostly what Studio One V.3 did on my Mac was crash. And crash again. And crash some more.

Did I mention crashing? It crashed.... A LOT.

I eventually gave it the finger and sold it.

-M
3.1 and 3.2 were awful for me. 3.1 in particular was the worst DAW experience I can recall in 2 decades in terms of stability.

If I didn't hate AVID so much, I would have sold S1 and just never looked back, but I do hate AVID and S1 is the only software that has a really good multi-track workflow. So I dump tracks from DP to S1, do stuff then go back to DP.

So I've stuck around despite the unfortunate experiences, and S1v3.3 so far has been stable and trouble free in OS X 10.11.6

I do EDM/Electronica in the box and S1 v3 makes the process easy. I'm only on a Core i5 with 16 GB of RAM and Windows 10 but I very rarely have to bounce anything down. And I seem to recall that I've only found one bug which hasn't reocurred since. So, yes, I'm happy.

I switched from cubase and have no regrets - I like the one window approach, the workflow is fast and melodyne is the best at what it does.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Genuinely sorry to hear Mac users are having such a hard time of it. Don't blame you for disliking it. Must drive you nuts. Never knew this before.

Robert Randolph - sorry to hear you hate drag & drop, which is the point of S1 workflow (you're probably a v good Kontakt designer)

When I first tried S1 v1, I got the free Artist version out of boredom, but surprisingly had a tune going inside 15 minutes which startled me as Sonar was so rule laden & menu-ridden by comparison (a disease to my thinking). At first I wasn't sure about the packaged effects - seeing so much grey compared to other plugs, but I was quickly won over by their sheer quality & quantity. And as they have an effect for most things, it makes buying alternative plugs easier to say no to funnily enough.

Funkybot, I haven't given VCA a fair trial yet, so thank you for your encouragement.

The only thing I haven't been able to do in S1 is send clips from different tracks into a separate bus for uber-processing a section (think: add a radio effect to only the 2nd verse)

And also event effects all have to be added one at a time. There's no copy effect from event to event (clip to clip).

Not critical needs but still be nice to have.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”