Can every sound from Dune be heard in Dune 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE DUNE 3

I'm looking for a particular sound and Dune (the first version) can deliver. So that is good news. Now I could get my copy, but instead I could also get Dune 2. So I wonder if every sound from Dune can be generated by Dune 2?

In mathematical notation:

Dune Image Dune 2
Dúnedain

They are two completely different instruments. So probably not.

v2 even has legacy v1 filters if I remember correctly.
I doubt v1 can make sounds v2 can't. Maybe you can't set parameters 1:1, but have to fiddle around a bit to get there.

wagtunes wrote:They are two completely different instruments. So probably not.
Thanks for your reply. I'm surprised to hear this I must admit. Most of the time in the software industry a new version is build on top of a previous version, giving you expectations about what to expect.
Dúnedain

From the Dune 2 webpage
NOTE: Dune 2 is not compatible with Dune 1 in any way. Both run just fine in parallel, however.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I think the lack of compatibility refers to patches. You can't load patches across both versions for technical reasons, but that doesn't mean at all that you can't authentically recreate a given v1 sound on v2.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think the lack of compatibility refers to patches. You can't load patches across both versions for technical reasons, but that doesn't mean at all that you can't authentically recreate a given v1 sound on v2.
Okay, I have both. Uninstalled Dune because I never really liked the sound of it that much anyway. They are two completely different engines. Could you maybe make a sound in Dune 2 that you made in Dune 1? Probably. The same way you can maybe make a sound in Zebra 2 that you could make in Diva. But you're going to have to do it completely by ear because none of the oscillators, filters, parameters or anything else are the same.

Are we clear now?

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think the lack of compatibility refers to patches. You can't load patches across both versions for technical reasons, but that doesn't mean at all that you can't authentically recreate a given v1 sound on v2.
Nor does the inability to load patches across both versions mean you can authentically recreate a given v1 sound on v2. The two things are completely unconnected.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

No. Dune 1 and 2 are technically incompatible, but in terms of architecture etc. they are similar. So, your analogy to Zebra and Diva is totally off.
There is a reason why SA decided to call it Dune 2, namely because it is indeed a step ahead from Dune 1. As you can see from Legend, SA don't shy away from giving completely different names to completely different synths.

fluffy_little_something wrote:No. Dune 1 and 2 are technically incompatible, but in terms of architecture etc. they are similar. So, your analogy to Zebra and Diva is totally off.
There is a reason why SA decided to call it Dune 2, namely because it is indeed a step ahead from Dune 1. As you can see from Legend, SA don't shy away from giving completely different names to completely different synths.
You are as thick as they come.

I own both instruments. I am TELLING YOU. To try to make a patch in Dune 2 that was made in Dune would be so incredibly hard it would NOT be worth the effort.

Do you even OWN either of these synths?

Of course you can't dial it in 1:1, but v1 has nothing v2 doesn't have, so of course you can get very close, talent provided. If you can't, ... ;)
Of course it doesn't work the other way round as v2 simply offers more.

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:No. Dune 1 and 2 are technically incompatible, but in terms of architecture etc. they are similar. So, your analogy to Zebra and Diva is totally off.
You are as thick as they come.

I own both instruments. I am TELLING YOU. To try to make a patch in Dune 2 that was made in Dune would be so incredibly hard it would NOT be worth the effort.

Do you even OWN either of these synths?
I think he just meant the Differential Unison Engine makes them "similar", but there are new oscs, zero delay filters, envelopes, etc.

I think it's pretty obvious that if you have a choice between them DUNE 2 would be the better choice. There is no type of sound that DUNE can make that DUNE 2 can't. The reverse is not true. Yes I have owned both....... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

A bit off topic: Those free Rob Lee presets for version 1 are really good, but I'm not sure if they're still available.
I had downloaded them a while back when he had offered them for free.

Anyway...definitely worth checking out if you have v1.

Dúnedain wrote:I'm looking for a particular sound and Dune (the first version) can deliver.
Are you looking for the sound of a particular patch or just the general overall sound ?

Another thing to consider is that development of DUNE 1 has stopped. DUNE 2 is still in development. It's quite possible to see an update sometime in the not too distant future. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”