Pleasantly surprised... by MuLab!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App

I've been working with sequencers for a long time (started out with Steinberg Pro24 on an Atari 1024ST), but not so much in recent years. When Energy XT disappeared I started to look at Studio One - a very fresh newcomer at the time. For some reason, I have instead been using the paid version of MuLab, together with some additional VSTs.

Tonight I tried out Studio One Prime for the first time and started out with a new composition. I had hoped for a wow moment, but... the wow factor never really set in.

So I returned to MuLab, and everything just fell into place.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what advanced features are available, I guess. It's more a matter of workflow and what style of music you're after (I have never really gone past the eighties).

What can I say: Go MuLab! :)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:I've been working with sequencers for a long time (started out with Steinberg Pro24 on an Atari 1040ST), but not so much in recent years. When Energy XT disappeared I started to look at Studio One - a very fresh newcomer at the time. For some reason, I have instead been using the paid version of MuLab, together with some additional VSTs.

Tonight I tried out Studio One Prime for the first time and started out with a new composition. I had hoped for a wow moment, but... the wow factor never really set in.

So I returned to MuLab, and everything just fell into place.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what advanced features are available, I guess. It's more a matter of workflow and what style of music you're after (I have never really gone past the eighties).

What can I say: Go MuLab! :)
Go MuLab!

( sorry for the double posting - I just recalled that the name of the computer was 1040ST, not 1024ST - and hit the wrong button... In fact, it should have been 1024 I think, as it had 1024 kB of available memory (only RAM, no hard drive). )
Go MuLab!

I've been loving me some Mulab lately too. Version 7 feels much more refined and the interface is just so clean. For the guys out there who produce primarily using midi I would recommend Mulab as a no-brainer. Audio editing features are coming along too but for the quickly growing virtual instrument world its just quick and focused. I can see why it seems to be getting more attention these days and look forward to what they do for version 8
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Agreed! Actually I am also looking at Reaper right now, as it is more advanced in all respects. Not sure yet where I will end up, perhaps with both!

BTW I use the freeware version of Mulab for teaching, as it runs without installation on the university computers and is so easy to work with.
Go MuLab!

Been trying to get into MuLab and I'm amazed by Jo and the community, but the actual DAW is just not there for me, it all start adding up when you really start making music with it.

Found out Bitwig to be even more on point with less niggles on the road, definitely worth checking out for anyone that digs MuLab, IMO it's even faster, more straightforward/have good workflow solutions.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Well I do agree with you that a little... little :) and this is why I am also interested in Reaper. I think it comes down to the needs of each person, but MuLab really shines at what it does.
Go MuLab!

I cannot praise it enough...

It´s biggest strength is it´s modular approach respectfully the complete integration of MUX into the DAW...

For this low price: We are talking here about 69,- €...

you get a very deep and featurerich DAW + a complete Modular System, which can be used to chain VST/i´s as well... both with an incredibel sound quality and usability level...

Everything works per drag n drop or the traditionell way round... included drum machine (and a single drumpad of it as single version), sampler/multisampler, subtractive synth - multisample hybrid, FM synth, wavetable (synthesis) synth, granular synth plus the modular system to build your own ones or mangle existing hundreds of presets... and everything can be chained together in any way you can imagine.

Full featured FX section with everything you need or want: Filters, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Distortion, Delay, Reverb, Compressor (with sidechaining capability), Limiter, ... you name it...

Fantastic modulators with a freely adjustable multipoint envelope, standard ADSR, a LFO where you can make your own shapes, step sequencer, Arpeggiator, sequence player...etc...etc...
It´s hard for me to stop somewhere...

This is just a mindblowing featurerichness for a price you normaly don´t get a single synth for...

My personal highlights in the latest update (not officialy released atm though): a very nice looking Frequency Analyzer and the Filter modules displaying their shape now...in realtime

All on top of that a fantastic support from the nicest and most responsive developer I ever met/dealt with...
Bugfixes happen nearly immediately once the bug is known, many feature requests are realized in very short time...

For this little money, there is really no point in hesitating...
This investment is worth every single penny and much more...

Trancit wrote:I cannot praise it enough...

It´s biggest strength is it´s modular approach respectfully the complete integration of MUX into the DAW...
except not on the Mac (for MUX)

SparkySpark wrote:Well I do agree with you that a little... little :) and this is why I am also interested in Reaper. I think it comes down to the needs of each person, but MuLab really shines at what it does.
Exactly, to be fair I'm a Logic 9 user seeking for replacement, not addition to it, so yeah, my next one needs to be a step up and I didn't found anything convincing till this day, maybe in 2-3 years. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

pdxindy wrote: except not on the Mac (for MUX)
Why??? Both are available on Mac as well???

Downloaded the demo and had a quick shufty. For what it is, it's worth the dosh for the full version. I could easily make tunes with this combo of audio and MIDI features, I don't edit either, just redo the take so it's correct. I'll keep it around and mess with it to judge further.

Not bad. 8)

Trancit wrote:
pdxindy wrote: except not on the Mac (for MUX)
Why??? Both are available on Mac as well???
I thought MUX was not available on Mac? Could be outdated info!

On the download page there are 64 bit versions for Mac of MuLab and Mux...

bustedfist wrote:Downloaded the demo and had a quick shufty. For what it is, it's worth the dosh for the full version. I could easily make tunes with this combo of audio and MIDI features, I don't edit either, just redo the take so it's correct. I'll keep it around and mess with it to judge further.

Not bad. 8)
If you already like it after a bit messing around, you´ll love it after diving deeper... there is so many fantastic features... a bit hidden though...

Very nice as well to be able to save clips like in Ableton, which saves the complete instrument and FX structure too and can be previewed from the browser time synced

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”