Has Spire cleaned up it's act?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Spire

Is it me? I just downloaded the spire update and it has been cleaned up significantly over here. There is no mention of it specifically that I saw, but I am able to AM/FM the filters pretty cleanly all of a sudden. I'm loving this update.
Last edited by Dasheesh on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I made few patches in v. 1.1.9 with cutoff freq modulated by an oscillator (is this what you mean by filter FM?). I'll bounce some samples then update my Spire and bounce them again.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I made few patches in v. 1.1.9 with cutoff freq modulated by an oscillator (is this what you mean by filter FM?). I'll bounce some samples then update my Spire and bounce them again.

exactly. I was always bitching because I wasn't satisfied with how dirty Spire got when I did this. Somehow, it's a lot more controllable and stable and, even sounds cleaner. I don't know what they did but I'm loving it.

I swear if they come out with a tool that allows me to insert my own user waves it will take the place of my blofeld, and I've been waldorf devotee since ... forever.

Their changelog is quite laconic
Spire changelog wrote: Spire Synthesizer update to v1.1.11 (2017.04.02 23:00)
==========================
+ Fix registration issue under Win

Spire Synthesizer update to v1.1.10 (2017.03.29 16:00)
==========================
+ Improve stability
+ Fixed glitches in Logic X
I also noted that patches with filter FM in v. 1.1.9 have quite narrow range (both in terms of the register and the FM amount) where they are actually playable and don't sound too dirty. Would love some improvements here, will test asap.

Btw. what samplerate are you using in your DAW?

I always stick to 24/4800. It seems to be the best compromise at the moment. And what you are talking about is exactly what I was experiencing. FM'ing the filter on spire was a very hit or miss affair that drove me crazy, but I'm able to push it a little farther now. maybe it's just me? Maybe it was my set up? Maybe the update stabilized it? I don't know, that's why I asking.

..oh yeah... 512 samples. sorry.

I think it would have been mentioned in the changelog if they had changed something about FM/filter sound. They seemed to be particularly busy with the Reason rack extension as of late, and, i doubt that they make changes to the sound, or the sound engine, before it has been ported.

As a registered user where can I get the latest full version download ? It is not a go to synth for me but it has sounded good from time to time and held its own in a track. I know Recursive knows his way round this properly and gets sweet sounds from it.

Edit: sorry I now see 1.1.11 is the latest and it is directly downloadable on the home page. :tu:
(I imagine it is both full and demo)

Yep, it is. :)

Just did a comparison between 1.1.09 and 1.1.11 on a couple of basic patches where osc2 modulated either filter cutoff or osc 1 pitch. The rendered files are almost identical, tiny difference may be attributed to that i forgot to lock the osc phase.

Maybe the improvement, if any, would be manifested in more complex patches, dunno.

Ok, well thanks for the reply Rec. I swear it's cleaner but maybe that's something on my end. Seems to have a sweeter spot when fming the filter. Almost like it's been band restricted or something. I'll drop it if you aren't getting it.

Has this update just been released ?
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Yes, a couple of days ago.

Thanks mate :-)
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Return to “Instruments”