Alternative to Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I need a simple to use subtractive synth with solid sound, nice GUI (one-page is the best) and plenty of presets. Not an emulation of vintage gear, something generic/bread-and-butter but good. Effects and decent unison is a must.

Hive seemed to fit the bill almost perfectly - from respectable developer, very well designed, easy modulation and 2700+ presets.
One problem - I didn't like the sound. All three engines sound different but similarly uninspiring.
I browsed through dozens of presets but non of them are convincing enough to justify the purchase.
I'm not talking about specific-hardware convincing, just three-dimensional, if that makes sense.

Is there another "Hive" but not from u-he?
Beside Sylenth1 and Synthmaster One. I have a gripe with either one.

greedy.mf wrote: Is there another "Hive" but not from u-he?
Would be good to know why you have a grip with those. Apart from that, i can only recommend Spire. It's a bit more complex than Sylenth1 and Hive, but, IMO, sounds better than those, and is a great synth for bread & butter VA sounds, with a big sweet spot. My go-to synth for supersaw pads, leads, and basses.

Spire, absolutely.

But you may also want to try Dune2. It's a bit more complex than Hive because of this global unison/layering thing and the wavetable/FM oscillators but in the essence you may use it as a simple subtractive/unison synth.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Sylenth1 is the obvious alternative. You can find literally thousands of presets on the Internet. I've heard that you can rent-to-own it now for like $10 / month. Just like Serum btw, which is a very powerful and versatile wavetable synth. Plus it has one of the best Interface so you can program a patch in no time basically.

Excluding Hive's heaviest influence is a tough one, so I will throw in ANA. Probably best to wait for version 2.

https://www.sonicacademy.com/products/ana

Another one would be Saurus by Tone2, which is based on emulating vintage gear, but otherwise fits all your requests imo.

greedy.mf wrote:One problem - I didn't like the sound. All three engines sound different but similarly uninspiring.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Tell that to Urs! Can you run fast? Like, really fast?

Maybe LuSH-101 from D16 or Z3TA+2 from Cakewalk?

sfxsound3 wrote:
greedy.mf wrote:One problem - I didn't like the sound. All three engines sound different but similarly uninspiring.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Tell that to Urs! Can you run fast? Like, really fast?
Why run? - If he doesn't like the sound, he simply doesn't like it. Fair enough :shrug:

Predator 2
MuLab of course :D

Because you used to aggressively defend your products, and fight back any negative opinion posted here. Because sustainability, throats to feed, etc. Maybe you've changed policy recently-ish. I've not been following. If so, apologies - that'd be obviously a step in the right direction.

greedy.mf wrote:Is there another "Hive" but not from u-he? .
Shit, if you find it uninspiring then why do you want another?
Why not try something different.
They all sound the same. Some here will recommend Spire. Sounds the same.
Some will recommend Nexus..same.
There really is little difference in this things.

Let's not forget another 1-page goodie...Dune 1. Still available for sale, still light on CPU, still sounds really good.
@OP, would be good to know what you didn't like about the other synths, I'm assuming your gripes may have been that they have more than one edit page. I second the vote for Spire, but each oscillator and mod source is in its own tab, so that might not suit you either.

Kinh wrote:There really is little difference in this things.
Heresy! :D

greedy.mf wrote: Is there another "Hive" but not from u-he?
No, sorry there is absolutely nothing for you. I guess you'll have to give up music and take up needlepoint or perhaps interpretive ballet. :wink:

I'd suggest DUNE 2 but it's way over your head so don't even bother. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Massive, Twin 2, Spire, Serum
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”