Midi Learn from Plugin

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When right clicking a device parameter and using 'Map to Controller or Key' CC Messages from Midi generating plugins are ignored which is pretty frustrating. I've tried using note receiver on another track but it's still the same problem. Only hardware knobs are heard. I've verified that the CCs make it through they are just ignored. Works fine using a VST Instruments internal Midi Learn, just not with Bitwigs own.

Does anyone know a workaround for this?

I don't, but could you elaborate on your use case? I'm curious.

I’m building a Midi based Instrument so it’s essential to use Midi learn to link CCs between the plugins so that it can be controlled. Here is is the most recent which is an arpeggiator running in Bitwig controlling Dune 2:

https://youtu.be/sCh0tRU-Ez8

So to assign midi cc you need to have a midi learn in the destination instrument, then move the value in my Instrument to connect them. This works fine with plugins that support midi learn, but Bitwig allows midi learn on every exposed control parameter. This will only listen to hardware generated CCs and not instrument generated CCs which seems a strange limitation.

You might be able to use something like LoopBe1 to fool Bitwig into seeing your plugins midi CC's
as originating from a hardware controller. Sometimes you have to do that, which is pretty
much the typical usage scenario for LoopBe1 across many DAWs actually.

On mac send it to a IAC bus, create a generic controler device and send it back...
But its probably easier to take a midimonitor and just set it by hand... Or simply document the CCs you are using...

MIDI Modulator? Not as immediate as Learn though.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Thanks for the replies, I don’t care about it enough to go outside of the DAW to solve it, I was really hoping there would be an internal workaround I wasn’t aware of. I’ll try Midi Modulator thanks :)

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:31 pm ...
But its probably easier to take a midimonitor and just set it by hand... Or simply document the CCs you are using...
I've spend a long time trying to overcome this limitation, but so far without success. I have controller data coming from a plugin and tried assign it to the exposed Bitwig parameters of another plugin via the learn function. But midi learn is not possible in this case, as the destination plugins knobs in its GUI as well as the parameters it exposes can't be defined as sources. The learn function doesn't work (I also would like a way to define source and destination by typing in the CC number, but there is no such option either?!).
I verified this shortcoming using a free midi monitor plugin and BlueCat's Remote Control plugin, which allows for the creation of your own control surfaces with knobs and faders that send Midi CCs. I put the midi monitor behind the destination plugin and can verify that the CC data send go through all the way, but the learn function doesn't react to the Remote Control plugins output either. :help:

@Tj Shredder:
You mention assignment of CCs in a midi monitor "by hand". Do you mean an extra program like MidiOx outputting to a Loopback driver? What do you mean by documenting the CCs?

Is anybody aware of a possible workaround? I tried to find the mentioned Midi Modulator but not sure what is meant by that. The free Magic Midi Modulator?

If all else fails I'll route the signal from an extra track to a loopback output.

Bitwig is a nice piece of software but in everything Midi it's much worse than Logic Audio from 1998. :hihi:

There are vsts that can monitor Midi messages. I am on Mac, but on PC I bet you will find one. Then you know which cc is sending. You can then set up a cc modulator and assign that to what you want to control…
Not as easy as Midi-learn, but would do the job…

Thanks for your answer. Like I wrote, I am using a Midi Monitor (Bitwig should have one built in!!) on that device lane and can confirm the CC I set up makes its way to the intended destination, but Bitwig can't pick it up. So by using a Midi Modulator, do you mean mimicking the original modulator with Bitwig devices? That's not a solution for me.
I'd like to be able to control whatever I like to control without wasting my time with such obstacles. There are many devices that modulate Midi signals that are unusable in their original form in Bitwig. For example:

BlueCat Remote Control https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... teControl/
Cableguys Midishaper https://www.cableguys.com/midishaper
Rhythmizer Ultra https://www.futurephonic.co.uk/products ... izer-ultra

None of these can be used the way they are supposed to be used in Bitwig. And it can't be hard to implement, because it does work perfectly fine if the plugin you send the signals to allows for CC mapping inside the plugin, like in the case of Urs Heckmann's devices. Of course you can use a loopback device, but the resolution is not the same and the timing can suffer. Bitwig has so much potential, but it still is such a pathetically underdeveloped child's toy. It's now five years after the OP opened this thread and still no progress. It should allow you to connect any output with any input.

OK, amazingly the MIDI modulator has a learn button that works whether the CC is coming from a real midi port or another plugin. Now, while it's nice to see the actual signals, it'd be great to have some kind of way to make direct assignments, but I can see possible reasons for why this hasn't been implemented too. It would require a way to make it visible easily. Maybe a red glowing "mod modulations" button or something that you can push. But this has been a real relief to find out. I was even able to save the instrument including all the other plugins and settings as a preset. I'm sold on Bitwig after all (still). Being able to actually save your headaches and make them recall able from project to project like that is ingenious!

Return to “Bitwig”